Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 01-17-2024, 08:46 PM   #1
snicko

Drives: 2021 SS 1LE
Rollbar and seat install gotchas?

Planning to toss a CMS rollbar, Sparco QRT seat, BK adapter, Recaro slider. and seat brackets into a '21 SS 1LE 1SS this weekend.

I basically went with the same parts list for the seat that everyone else here has done.

Its not my first rodeo - stuff like this never goes as planned. I've checked a couple of videos on pulling the seats and that seems pretty straight forward.

The rollbar install seems straight forward as well - just a couple of holes to punch. One of the videos had a great tip - clean the inside of the rear window first (Its gonna be a pain to get to after the install...).

The one thing I wasn't able to find much detail on is the seat and bracket installs. It *seems* straight forward - everything should just bolt up but y'all know how *THAT* goes. I'll mockup the seat install before the rollbar to give me more room to maneuver in there if needed.

Sooo.. folks who have done this before - any gotchas you ran into or stuff that didn't go as expected that you can pass on?

Thanks!
snicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 08:52 PM   #2
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Brey Krause has an amazing base, I dont have any tips beyond what you've said. It never goes as planned. It was all easy on paper but a pain in the ass to actually do.
Christian1LE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 09:49 PM   #3
snicko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian1LE View Post
Brey Krause has an amazing base, I dont have any tips beyond what you've said. It never goes as planned. It was all easy on paper but a pain in the ass to actually do.
Thanks for chiming in!

Everyone, including you, have said the BK base is amazing. It looks damn well built.

What was a pain in the ass with the install? Anything that hung you up worse than having to fetch a bolt or something from HomeDespot/Hardware store?
Old 01-17-2024, 11:15 PM   #4
eimarshall

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE Hyperblue
I have a bk passenger seat mount end a planted driver seat mount with a recaro slider. I have a couple of beefs with the bk that may or may not be solved with a slider. The planted is far from perfect too though.
First is that anything attached to the BK mount has to be attached prior to installing the bk mount in the car because the bk mount sits flush with the car floor. No installing nuts or turning screws on the bottom of it once its in.
Second was that the sub strap bar on the bk mount is fixed relative to the car. My understanding is that the sub strap bar should always be directly under the hole in the seat. If you have a slider, the sub strap bar has to be mounted to the slider rails on the seat brackets. The bk one wont work then.
Third, the bk mount without the slider really pushes the seat very far forward because you cant cover up the floor bolts with the seat brackets. I have yet to see how anyone actually gets the seat in a reasonable position without sliders. My passengers are really squeezing in between the dash and the front of the seat. And there is an easy 8 inches behind the seat to the nearest rollbar or back seat component.

Granted the planted bracket sits way high up and has cross bars that force the bottom of the seat even higher or prevent reclining it at all, so it still has compromises as well.

Sorry if this was a bit of a rant, but i felt this was the biggest pain in the ass. I swapped mrc to DSSVs, pulled rear hubs and installed all rear arms, built quick removable splitter mounts and even made my own carbon molds for front vent block off plates. And of all that, the seats were the biggest PITA.
eimarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 07:05 AM   #5
Christian1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by snicko View Post
Thanks for chiming in!

Everyone, including you, have said the BK base is amazing. It looks damn well built.

What was a pain in the ass with the install? Anything that hung you up worse than having to fetch a bolt or something from HomeDespot/Hardware store?
Getting everything lined up and putting things in the right order so one step doesn't prevent you from doing another.

Mine are mounted without sliders and they are in a perfect driving position for me. I'm 6'1". The seats barely block access to the screws that hold the base to the car.
Old 01-18-2024, 08:59 AM   #6
snicko

Quote:
Getting everything lined up and putting things in the right order so one step doesn't prevent you from doing another.

Mine are mounted without sliders and they are in a perfect driving position for me. I'm 6'1". The seats barely block access to the screws that hold the base to the car.
Got it! The seat looks like to be the fiddilest bit. I'll mock'em up ahead of time.

Out of curiosity - Anyone else pull their rear seatbelts belts out? The buckles come out easy. Getting the belts out seems a bit fiddly with lots of interior panels that need to come out.

Not so much thinking of weight savings. Its more that they be flopping around back there. I suppose worst case I can zip tie them to thebar so they don't make noise...
Old 01-18-2024, 09:01 AM   #7
beworthy3

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Where are you all mounting the sub straps and shoulder straps for the harness. I have the planted seat bracket, side mounts, and a recaro slider with CMS bar. I plan on putting it all in the car when I get a warm day to do so.
beworthy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 10:37 AM   #8
snicko

Quote:
Originally Posted by beworthy3 View Post
Where are you all mounting the sub straps and shoulder straps for the harness. I have the planted seat bracket, side mounts, and a recaro slider with CMS bar. I plan on putting it all in the car when I get a warm day to do so.
I have the BK sub strap bar that attaches to the BK base adapter. I'm not familiar with the planted bracket...
Old 01-18-2024, 10:40 AM   #9
Christian1LE

Quote:
The shoulder straps will mount to the 4 point roll bar, and the sub strap goes to the crossbar on the BK base. The BK base also has one anchor point on each side of the seat(not shown in pic) to attach your lap belts to.
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2024, 10:57 AM   #10
beworthy3

Quote:
The shoulder straps will mount to the 4 point roll bar, and the sub strap goes to the crossbar on the BK base. The BK base also has one anchor point on each side of the seat(not shown in pic) to attach your lap belts to.
Perfect, thank you!
Old 01-19-2024, 12:22 AM   #11
beworthy3

Quote:
I just realized i asked this question wrong. I mean to ask where the side straps go. Not the shoulder ones.
Old 01-19-2024, 08:00 AM   #12
Christian1LE

Quote:
I just realized i asked this question wrong. I mean to ask where the side straps go. Not the shoulder ones.
Don't have time to post pictures right now but the answer is in the comment you just quoted. There are anchor points on the BK base that the belts attach to. I will post pictures later today so you can see what I'm talking about.
Old 01-19-2024, 09:49 AM   #13
Christian1LE

Here are pictures, my car is still dirty as hell from last track weekend.
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2024, 11:07 AM   #14
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by snicko View Post
The rollbar install seems straight forward as well - just a couple of holes to punch. One of the videos had a great tip - clean the inside of the rear window first (Its gonna be a pain to get to after the install...).

Sooo.. folks who have done this before - any gotchas you ran into or stuff that didn't go as expected that you can pass on?

Thanks!

You may have watched the video on the Racing for ALS channel.

Some additional tips:
1. Buy a couple quality drill bits. The CMS supplied bit will be toast after two holes. Lubricate the bit with WD-40 or cutting oil.
2. Center the holes and use a smaller bit to start.
3. The lower seat belt mounts required some modifications. The large backing washers had to be ground down on one side to fit flush on the underside of the floorboard. This won't apply if you have mounts on your seat brackets.
4. The carpet/pad is super thick behind the front seat. Cut the carpet, do not drill a hole through it. This won't apply if you have mounts on your seat brackets.
5. A second set of hands is needed to get the main hoop in place.