Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-30-2011, 05:49 PM   #43
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by XclusivEric View Post
For all those that are hating on Push buttons.... Just want to share a little information.

Race cars are mostly push button starts. There is just something when you get behind the wheel of that car that makes you want to push in a clutch, push a button, mash that shifter in 1st, romp on the gas pedal, dump the clutch and go! For those of you who still want to fiddle faddle around with your massive amounts of keys (that actually also do damage to your ignition switch as the 5 pound wieghts dangle from you steering column over a period of time), stay in the right lane please as you are most likely going to get passed. You might as well carry that hand crank with you as you still live in the dark ages and are afraid of change. A push start is not problematic. The problem lies in the user who must feel the need to carry around a ton of keys they most of which they never use. Honestly I had 3 keys on my key fob. The key to my Camaro, the key to my Harley and my house key. On a separate keychain I carry the rest of my keys to the rest of my junk. Once you get yourself into a routine it really becomes quite natural. Yet then again, routines are also hard to break.
And here I thought most race cars had a toggle switch, not a push button ...

Either way, they don't have an electronic fob either
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:56 PM   #44
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
And here I thought most race cars had a toggle switch, not a push button ...

Either way, they don't have an electronic fob either
Comparing the Camaro to professional race cars is a little farfetched.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:20 PM   #45
Mark H

Drives: 04 Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Comparing the Camaro to professional race cars is a little farfetched.
But comparing the ZL1 to a race car is a little closer

But Officer, I swear its just a vacuum leak.

Those red things? those are smog pumps!

2004 Sierra Denali ----- 2/4 drop
LSX 438 TWIN TURBO

LSX Block Video
Block number 00370. Build Date 04/17/2007
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:57 AM   #46
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour

Drives: SIM 2LT RS
Push button vs keys, neither is drastically better than the other and clinging to or avoiding either seems kind of silly.
They are just different methods to do the same thing, start the car.
I don't see how having a push button makes any difference if it's a muscle car or not, so tired of seeing "it's a muscle car" used as a reason to not add this or not change that.
As if it's a sin to evolve. Don't be afraid of change.

Push buttons are cool mostly for the look and everything else is minimal. It's not like turning a key is hard or annoying. You still have a fob u have to keep track of just like a key. So it boils down to different hand movements.

The one thing I will say is keyless entry is a more modern thing and those putting it in there cars I would say are more forward thinking and prob have better tech in other areas of the car. So I would want it in the camaro for that reason.

I have remote start so I'd never push button anyway, the ignition is just a hole to keep my key in while I'm driving

Now if they could reduce the size of the fob to something I can just keep in my wallet that would be cool.

But here's an idea.
Why not have both?
It's not hard to have the ignition and the push button be the same thing.
If you don't like the push button, pull the plastic cover off and the keyhole is under it.
The standard fob would have a key and a sensor to activate the car. So it would work in both situations. And everyone would be happy.

expect nothing, but take everything
liquidsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:11 AM   #47
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Push button start = easier to steal... don't get me wrong, I know they require the fob to be in a certain distance or even inside the car, but the wires are right next to the wheel, quick cut and the car is GONE! My LEO neighbor asked if I had that and I said no, he was relieved as they get calls about the push button cars all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XclusivEric View Post
For all those that are hating on Push buttons.... Just want to share a little information.

Race cars are mostly push button starts. There is just something when you get behind the wheel of that car that makes you want to push in a clutch, push a button, mash that shifter in 1st, romp on the gas pedal, dump the clutch and go! For those of you who still want to fiddle faddle around with your massive amounts of keys (that actually also do damage to your ignition switch as the 5 pound wieghts dangle from you steering column over a period of time), stay in the right lane please as you are most likely going to get passed. You might as well carry that hand crank with you as you still live in the dark ages and are afraid of change. A push start is not problematic. The problem lies in the user who must feel the need to carry around a ton of keys they most of which they never use. Honestly I had 3 keys on my key fob. The key to my Camaro, the key to my Harley and my house key. On a separate keychain I carry the rest of my keys to the rest of my junk. Once you get yourself into a routine it really becomes quite natural. Yet then again, routines are also hard to break.
FL1CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:10 AM   #48
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie1227 View Post
Yes, I agree 100%.
We shouldn't need keys, just a proximity sensor. My 2010 Nissan Armada has a small key fob that you keep in your pocket and you never need to pull it out. Just push start and off you go!
Keys are outdated.
Exactly... that's what I'd like to see. I want the small fob that doesn't flip out a sharp key inside my pocket. But I prefer to use the fob to unlock the doors rather than another proximity sensor.

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:51 AM   #49
Blue Menace

Drives: 2013 WRX Sedan
Just one point: for all those arguing that a push start=lazy, do me a favor: Go home and throw away your computer, cell phone, microwave, refrigerator, vacuum cleaner, central heat/air, light bulbs, etc. Look, now you're Amish! Good for you.
Blue Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:08 AM   #50
austinjames
Account Suspend...Right

Drives: Synergy LS & Vulcan 1600cc
no keys, push to start
Old 05-31-2011, 08:38 AM   #51
Duflar

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS
Bring back the crank.
Duflar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:47 AM   #52
screamin rhino

Drives: 99 Nassau Blue FRC Vette
Not sure about a push button start but it would be sweet to remove the ignition switch from the column and put it in the dash.
I really like it in both my 67 camaro and my 99 vette.
mike d
screamin rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:45 PM   #53
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour

Drives: SIM 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Rage View Post
Push button start = easier to steal... don't get me wrong, I know they require the fob to be in a certain distance or even inside the car, but the wires are right next to the wheel, quick cut and the car is GONE! My LEO neighbor asked if I had that and I said no, he was relieved as they get calls about the push button cars all the time.
I doubt that they are any less or more easier to steal. Just different.
And it doesn't seem to matter how you start your car it will still get stolen, metal key or not.
The thing to remember is neither method is a theft deterrent, if someone wants your car having a old fashioned metal key isn't going to slow them down one bit. Car thieves are so good they can walk up to your car, get in and drive away and you would think they did have a key.
And this I've seen with my own eyes.

expect nothing, but take everything
liquidsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:46 PM   #54
chewy8

Drives: 96 bonneville
so i still need to bring my house key with me when i leave so i still would have keys but now they will be in pocket instead on hinging in the ignition much rather have them out of my pocket. maybe i am just used to a key
chewy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:51 PM   #55
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Don't. Care.

My favorite part is hearing it turn on. I couldn't care less whether it's a button, a key, or a freaking crank!!
Old 06-06-2011, 08:57 PM   #56
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
No button. Wall where I hang my keys (or potential fob) is too close to the garage/driveway. Don't want my car wandering away at night.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, start button, zl1