Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 04-10-2017, 01:11 PM   #1
SSDanny

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS M6
Catted Headers and Exhaust

Hey guys, I'm new to the forums and not necessarily a guru when it comes to cars. Basically, I live in California so I need to have cats on my car, but I'm planning on eventually getting a cam for the car after the bolt ons are in. I was wondering what's a good headers/exhaust set up to run for a mild cammed car and what high flow cats would be recommended. Thanks!
SSDanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:37 PM   #2
drivingagain

Drives: 2015 Tiger XCX,2016 Camaro 1SS,LBZ!
Congratulations on your car and first post. Welcome to the forum you have alot to read! Since you mentioned you are not a guru I would suggest to read all the threads pertaining to exhaust options. You will find some good information on other parts in those threads usually too. The exhaust you want is going to depend on your preferences. There is plenty to choose from with very similar gains.

If you are not going forced induction stay with 1 7/8" vs 2" primaries and long tube headers.
drivingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:59 PM   #3
gdgraph

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Agree with getting a set of catted long tube headers, 1 7/8" x 3" for naturally aspirated or 2" x 3" if you eventually plan to go with a blower or other FI. If you went 2" off the bat, you may lose from low end torque, but that's what you'd want at a minimum if you knew you were going to get a blower. ARH and Kooks are supposed to be the top of the line IMO for headers.

You can leave the stock exhaust or go aftermarket, Borla is the option I went with for the sound quality and no drone characteristics, it depends on what you are looking for. You can certainly read the threads here about which systems have drone, but when it comes down to which one you will prefer the most, go to car meets, find a guy on the forum local to you, hit up a cars and coffee and go hear it in person (both inside and outside of the car) if you want the most accurate info on what you will like because the stuff isn't cheap!
gdgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:08 PM   #4
SSDanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdgraph View Post
Agree with getting a set of catted long tube headers, 1 7/8" x 3" for naturally aspirated or 2" x 3" if you eventually plan to go with a blower or other FI. If you went 2" off the bat, you may lose from low end torque, but that's what you'd want at a minimum if you knew you were going to get a blower. ARH and Kooks are supposed to be the top of the line IMO for headers.

You can leave the stock exhaust or go aftermarket, Borla is the option I went with for the sound quality and no drone characteristics, it depends on what you are looking for. You can certainly read the threads here about which systems have drone, but when it comes down to which one you will prefer the most, go to car meets, find a guy on the forum local to you, hit up a cars and coffee and go hear it in person (both inside and outside of the car) if you want the most accurate info on what you will like because the stuff isn't cheap!

I see. I plan on not going FI yet, or ever for that matter as it is a daily. I was just looking for probably a set of catted KOOKS Headers since I've heard nothing but good things about those. What size headers should I get if I keep the stock NPP exhaust then? Thanks.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:10 PM   #5
SSDanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingagain View Post
Congratulations on your car and first post. Welcome to the forum you have alot to read! Since you mentioned you are not a guru I would suggest to read all the threads pertaining to exhaust options. You will find some good information on other parts in those threads usually too. The exhaust you want is going to depend on your preferences. There is plenty to choose from with very similar gains.

If you are not going forced induction stay with 1 7/8" vs 2" primaries and long tube headers.
Thanks! I'll check out the forums a little more, it's just that everyone decides to lose that cats, but here in California it's quite difficult to lose them. Unless anyone here knows someone in the Los Angeles area that can help me with the smog tests
Old 04-10-2017, 05:58 PM   #6
slick3

Drives: Garnet Red - 20 ZLE
Let me help you out a little.... LTH in california are illegal anyway you cut it. End of story.

You could put "cats" on any LTH and it will still be, yes...illegal.

If you change the position of the CC, you no longer are abiding by CARB laws.

With that said, Put headers on the car, get cats for them, dont put a stupid loud axle back on the car or better yet keep the stock one. You get all the gains without the attention.

If you car sounds stock CHP and the police are less likely to crawl under your car and start cracking the whip on you.
slick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:49 PM   #7
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
no reason not to go fi because its a DD. superchargers have bypasses now. drivability is stock until you put your foot in it.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:12 PM   #8
Chevy71

Drives: 2016 2SS
I just recently put Stainless Works LTH with high flow cats on my car. I'm not a fan of Kooks at all, they don't put the numbers up that SW and ARH will do (kooks are cheaper for a reason). I went SW all the way back to my factory NPP and it sounds great. Caution, if you go 2" you will have fitment issues on the driver side with the steering linkage. SW sounds great and is a solid product. Welcome to the forum and good luck with your build! There are tons of topics to read over on here.

P.S. I'm going pro charger on my daily.. these days, the car keeps its drivablity.
Chevy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:18 PM   #9
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
kooks have actually been showing the highest dyno numbers so far that ive seen on this forum.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:20 AM   #10
Chevy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
kooks have actually been showing the highest dyno numbers so far that ive seen on this forum.
I'm not doubting you, but I'm yet to see it man. They don't sound as good, and they aren't true equal length. All the data I can find on SW, they put a higher number up. I got 71hp out of my set up with a FI cam
Old 04-11-2017, 12:28 AM   #11
Richkidd87

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy71 View Post
I'm not doubting you, but I'm yet to see it man. They don't sound as good, and they aren't true equal length. All the data I can find on SW, they put a higher number up. I got 71hp out of my set up with a FI cam
Stainless Works are actually one of the cheapest I've seen.
Richkidd87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:47 AM   #12
Chevy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richkidd87 View Post
Stainless Works are actually one of the cheapest I've seen.
The exact opposite for me. The Kooks I had in my hands were not that great and they are cheaper by a few hundred bucks. The ARH I've never personally seen. My SW look to be the same quality as my hooker and Gibson headers from days past.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:08 AM   #13
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy71 View Post
I just recently put Stainless Works LTH with high flow cats on my car. I'm not a fan of Kooks at all, they don't put the numbers up that SW and ARH will do (kooks are cheaper for a reason). I went SW all the way back to my factory NPP and it sounds great. Caution, if you go 2" you will have fitment issues on the driver side with the steering linkage. SW sounds great and is a solid product. Welcome to the forum and good luck with your build! There are tons of topics to read over on here.

P.S. I'm going pro charger on my daily.. these days, the car keeps its drivablity.

Completely subjective opinion regarding the Kooks. Factual information does not agree with your views against Kooks.
Megahurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:07 AM   #14
marknagy13
Markoon13

Drives: Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick3 View Post
Let me help you out a little.... LTH in california are illegal anyway you cut it. End of story.

You could put "cats" on any LTH and it will still be, yes...illegal.

If you change the position of the CC, you no longer are abiding by CARB laws.

With that said, Put headers on the car, get cats for them, dont put a stupid loud axle back on the car or better yet keep the stock one. You get all the gains without the attention.

If you car sounds stock CHP and the police are less likely to crawl under your car and start cracking the whip on you.
This is correct. Cannot touch the stock cats AT ALL in California. Might as well go catless if you're going to change the headers at all.