Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-27-2018, 03:45 PM   #15
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by laynlo15 View Post
Mine made 713/669. Youngster, that's funny since I'm 66 years old. I may be at my limit, maybe. Yes, 10.03@138
I was referring to the enthusiasm from our youngster here at the shop. I know you're a wise and experienced human

Sorry for the confusion.

Jared
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 04:49 PM   #16
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
Ha Ha, sometimes I wonder. Hope the twins work out. I had some twins once, they said they were blonds, na they were brunette.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 04:55 AM   #17
BFella

Drives: 16' Supercharged 1SS
530rwhp on 8lbs of boost? uhhhh... something is off here. I'm at 8.5lbs and making 630rwhp.

760RWHP Magnuson 1SS
BFella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:07 PM   #18
nick_casper

Drives: 16 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFella View Post
530rwhp on 8lbs of boost? uhhhh... something is off here. I'm at 8.5lbs and making 630rwhp.
You do know the effects of your other mods. Mine made 537hp at 8 pounds with a Whipple.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:11 PM   #19
Drsagacity

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Nightfall Gray vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_casper View Post
You do know the effects of your other mods. Mine made 537hp at 8 pounds with a Whipple.
I would bet they just have a really conservative tune to get things going. I was running 550whp/565wt on 7psi with the Maggie.

@JDP, as a guy who has had multiple blowers: prochargers, for tech, and twin turbos...I will tell you, from a driveability perspective and an appearance under the hood perspective, you should kill it with this combo.

The Maggie allows the Camaro to drive exactly like a stock car, but when you decide you want to get into it, the feel of instant power is just a blast to drive. The upside is pretty much as good as it gets also. Just look at the fast list and 3 out of the top 5 fastest cars run the Maggie. Good stuff.

2018 Corvette Z06 vert- Black
To be tuned by JRE Racing
TBD performance
Drsagacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:08 PM   #20
Eyefixstuff

Drives: 16’ 2SS A8 HBM Procharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drsagacity View Post
I would bet they just have a really conservative tune to get things going. I was running 550whp/565wt on 7psi with the Maggie.

@JDP, as a guy who has had multiple blowers: prochargers, for tech, and twin turbos...I will tell you, from a driveability perspective and an appearance under the hood perspective, you should kill it with this combo.

The Maggie allows the Camaro to drive exactly like a stock car, but when you decide you want to get into it, the feel of instant power is just a blast to drive. The upside is pretty much as good as it gets also. Just look at the fast list and 3 out of the top 5 fastest cars run the Maggie. Good stuff.
This is true but to be fair, the top centri builds do have a much higher ceiling if you’re really going all out, or for records. The top 2 guys are over a full second and 15mph trap speed faster. Granted most of us will never get to that point, but worth noting imo.

The PD blowers are just limited by their physical size and cooling. No matter what you do to the pulley sizes, it’s never even going to come close to the F1A-94 for example. And now they have even bigger ones than that.

Every single kit available for our cars are excellent and quite honestly just comes down to personal preference. But if you want records I think it’s pretty well known at this point that you go with a bigass procharger.

Also for the record I drove a Maggie car and loved it. And personally if I had to do it all over again I don’t even know which I would choose. The ONLY thing that would sway me toward the procharger is that it gets better traction because the power comes on later. The Maggie car I drove blew the tires off much easier (same 305 pilot sport 4s I have on mine). I do like the sound of a PD blower much better also.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:30 PM   #21
Eyefixstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
If prochargers were the way to go then they would be using them in the NHRA. The only reason why I bring that up is because you are comparing race cars to street cars. The fastest cars in the world run PD superchargers. I am not biased to either one and I agree Procharger so far has been quicker on the 6th gen but I suspect Mike's Magnuson 2650 car will be right there in the near future.
The cars I’m referring to can still be considered street cars. The race cars that are the fastest in the world typically have a massive blower sticking through the hood and aren’t street legal. Which is where the size argument comes in that I mentioned. I’m talking about these cars, not a pro mod. From what I have read, the guys pushing the PD blowers on these cars are having a good amount of heat issues as well.

I didn’t mean to start some kind of an argument, I should have said that there’s a reason that they’re breaking all of the “street car” records for these cars/vettes.

Also, I am not as biased as I may sound. My friend just asked me this past weekend what I thought about a whipple on his 17 SS and I broke down everything and he still wants to go with the whipple and I agreed, based on what he wants out of the car.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:12 PM   #22
Dysan911

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS
I always found it cool that we seem to have a good mix of folks here who went one way or the other with their choice of going PD, Centri or turbo. Doesn't seem like any particular one has ever been a clear winner and ended up being where we all had the same exact setup. It keeps things interesting to see the different builds here and I certainly don't have the mentality that one is superior to the other.

I have never driven a PD car and not sure what is meant about how driving normal and then instant power. I guess it's all relative because I feel like mine drives just like stock until I get into it in the same manner I would N/A and I can only imagine if PD hits harder than what I have now. Wow. I could see where you'd be fighting to maintain traction for sure but it must be a blast without a doubt..

I have to say one thing I do get a kick out of is the looks I get when people hear the Procharger whistle when Im pulling up somewhere, etc.
Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Dysan911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:23 PM   #23
Drsagacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
I always found it cool that we seem to have a good mix of folks here who went one way or the other with their choice of going PD, Centri or turbo. Doesn't seem like any particular one has ever been a clear winner and ended up being where we all had the same exact setup. It keeps things interesting to see the different builds here and I certainly don't have the mentality that one is superior to the other.

I have never driven a PD car and not sure what is meant about how driving normal and then instant power. I guess it's all relative because I feel like mine drives just like stock until I get into it in the same manner I would N/A and I can only imagine if PD hits harder than what I have now. Wow. I could see where you'd be fighting to maintain traction for sure but it must be a blast without a doubt..

I have to say one thing I do get a kick out of is the looks I get when people hear the Procharger whistle when Im pulling up somewhere, etc.
I wasn’t trying to start a fight about it. All of the blowers, regardless of model will drive like stock before you get in boost.

On the fast list, in fairness, one of those Procharger cars is also running a 75 shot. But your point is fair. For all out drag racing, I think the F1 has been king for a long time. But that’s also not the Procharger most people select. The P or D series Procharger is not an F series... Further, the bigger Maggie was just released so I would assume we will see some 8 second Maggie’s coming up...looks to me like both the Maggie and the Procharger can get to low 10’s pretty easily (for the blower people actually buy - P1, D1, or 2300).

I have owned multiple Procharger cars. Some Vortech cars and a couple twin turbos. This is my first Maggie.

But, I say all of that and really, I agree with you 100%. To further support your point, look at the top 10...5 Prochargers, 5 Maggies. I have seen some crazy HP whipples, so maybe they are going to make a splash soon too. I can’t argue with the point that for most people the results will be about the same because they won’t push any blower to the max. Though we haven’t seen it..sure seems like we should have some twins up there too.

You mentioned sound...different strokes. I 100% preferred the sound of my Procharger and the ability to blip the throttle with a manual, or converter auto and hear the little whine. On my Maggie, I can barely hear it over the roar of the engine when I am driving the car (the dyno makes it sound loud as hell). Of course that may be different as I up the boost over the next few weeks (finishing the tune).

Bottom line, we agree. This forum does a great job of having different applications and we can learn from all of them...or just enjoy the success of others when they do something really cool.

TBD performance
Old 08-14-2018, 11:43 PM   #24
Drsagacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyefixstuff View Post
The cars I’m referring to can still be considered street cars. The race cars that are the fastest in the world typically have a massive blower sticking through the hood and aren’t street legal. Which is where the size argument comes in that I mentioned. I’m talking about these cars, not a pro mod. From what I have read, the guys pushing the PD blowers on these cars are having a good amount of heat issues as well.

I didn’t mean to start some kind of an argument, I should have said that there’s a reason that they’re breaking all of the “street car” records for these cars/vettes.

Also, I am not as biased as I may sound. My friend just asked me this past weekend what I thought about a whipple on his 17 SS and I broke down everything and he still wants to go with the whipple and I agreed, based on what he wants out of the car.
I have read about the heat problems, but I see the results from people like @Laynlo and so I kind of dismiss it as a real problem. I have forged pistons and I don’t think I will run more than 11psi which will be good for 750whp and probably over 800whp on race fuel (no alky). Have you heard of anyone having heat problems below 15 or 16psi? I haven’t. But I also don’t think we have the fuel system to support going there. So to me, fuel is a problem before heat. Or maybe above 850whp (again I dismissed because it’s not in the cards I am playing).

The Whipple discussion is intriguing to me too. I have never owned one. I did watch the video of Lethal and Laynlo running at this years camarofest. The whipple car with a built motor, cam, LT’s and a converter lost to the stock motor, stock exhaust, stock converter, heavier than stock weight (added rollcage) Maggie. So, it does seem to me, on paper the two should be very much the same, but I see those results and suspect the Maggie has a technological advantage (or maybe that’s just my personal bias to support my decision)...gonna stick within that opinion until some of the Whipple guys break into the top 10 on the fast list. See, that’s rude...now I am just trolling the Whipple guys.

TBD performance

Last edited by Drsagacity; 08-15-2018 at 11:12 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:25 AM   #25
Eyefixstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drsagacity View Post
I have read about the heat problems, but I see the results from people like @Laynlo and so I kind of dismiss it as a real problem. I have forged pistons and I don’t think I will run more than 11psi which will be good for 750whp and probably over 800whp on race fuel (no alky). Have you heard of anyone having heat problems below 15 or 16psi? I haven’t. But I also don’t think we have the fuel system to support going there. So to me, fuel is a problem before heat. Or maybe above 850whp (again I dismissed because it’s not in the cards I am playing).

The Whipple discussion is intriguing to me too. I have never owned one. I did watch the video of Lethal and Laynlo running at this years camarofest. The whipple car with a built motor, cam, LT’s and a converter lost to the stock motor, stock exhaust, stock converter, heavier than stock weight (added rollcage) Maggie. So, it does seem to me, on paper the two should be very much the same, but I see those results and suspect the Maggie has a technological advantage (or maybe that’s just my personal bias to support my decision)...gonna stick within hat opinion until some of the Whipple guys break into the top 10 on the fast list. See, that’s rude...now I am just trolling the Whipple guys.
Good points. But not for nothing, Laynlo is a much much better driver than Matt is. As much as I appreciate his videos, and the time put into them, the guy really doesn’t know much about cars at all. I think it’s cool that we have someone that does those informational videos for our cars though. But yea, as far as racing is concerned, a lot can be said for a good driver mod.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:22 AM   #26
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Yea I wouldn't base anything off that race between them. Laynlo is seasoned veteran at the track, Lethal is not. He would probably pick up a good amount removing that 1le wing. Also I don't think he ran any better with his procharger setup either.

The Maggie has shown more results simply because Mike(toohighpsi) was on the forums actively pushing the Maggie along with Laynlo from the release date of these 6th gens. Mike was the first to show a basically stock 6th gen with a Maggie capable of clicking off a high 10 @129 pass. Nobody else was really pushing 1/4 times with any FI setup...more so just dyno numbers. I think that kick started a lot of sales right off the bat for Magnuson.

I also believe the first Whipple setups released for the 6th gen were gen 2 rotos and the gen 3 stuff didn't come around till September of last year. The newer gen 3 lobes have increased efficiency quite a bit. Nobody talks about that kind of stuff around here. This forum lacks a lot of technical talk and it's kind of disappointing.

In the end I am a fan off all of them... I have owned Procharger in the past and I have also owned a car that had a Eaton supercharger on it. Imo for a street car the torque of a PD blower makes for a fun ride, but then again the LT1 already makes gobs of torque, so do you really need it?

My opinion is buy whatever you can get the best deal on because the fuel system is where the money needs to be spent. All of these Supercharger setups can make more power efficiently then the stock fuel system will allow.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:44 AM   #27
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
I like them all, and to my mind, TT is the top dog, but the kit was not out when I went crazy....

I like the stock LT4 and would have gone that route with ADM, but Pray cut me a heck of a deal and tremendous support with a Procharger, heads, cam and tune package. I went with him because I knew there would 1) be results, 2) have support

I am 100% in love with my cam, heads, D1x setup. Sure I want to mod more (when I retire). I also sure I would be 100% good with the ADM setup, headers, intake and tune.. either setup will destroy my street tires as any time.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:36 PM   #28
Drsagacity

I am not going to show quotes for each of you guys, but I agree with pretty much all comments, but a couple things:

1. better driver or not, on an auto in a 1/4 mile, even with a shitty driver, trap speed should be there.
2. Instead of buying what's cheapest, I would suggest figuring out how you are going to get the car tuned and go with the setup your tuner is most capable of handling. The pain you have to go through when a tuner isn't really ready for the setup...painful.
3. Laynlo is awesome. I am still going to kick his ass at the track very soon. (actually I am going to wait until he's rebuilding then I am going to call him out and say it's a victory when he can't show).
4. The saying,"those who can't do, teach." That is probably true about blowers and 1/4 mile times. "Those who can't run, post dyno numbers."

I am just playing. I agree with you guys almost entirely. I have had Prochargers, Vortechs, and TT's. This is my first Maggie. Truthfully, I am almost shocked because I am enjoying the Camaro more than my Vettes (I only ended up here because I have two kids and my wife couldn't get her mind around buying a car with two seats...when I have two kids). . .I love hearing all of the great info regardless of the blower type.

I can't wait to get out ot some of the events next year.

TBD performance

Last edited by Drsagacity; 08-15-2018 at 11:09 PM.

Tags
2016 camaro, jdp motorsports, maggie, magnuson heartbeat, supercharger