Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 01-31-2020, 05:27 PM   #71
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Only you can decide what suits you and your purposes best.

I've had a Gen5 V8 for 10 years now. I had to have the V-8 right then to make up for all the years of schlepping my kids around in mini-vans.

I love the torque, but looking back, my best times in the car were on road trips, eating ups the miles for 10 hours a day for days on end, rain or shine.

The best next Camaro for me will be a new V6 that comes with all-season tires, a quiet exhaust, and an appetite for regular gas.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 10:08 PM   #72
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoarinSnek View Post
Ok. Can someone answer me this question. Reason why I'm secretly in love with the V8 is because aftermarket stuff out there favor the V8 more than V6s. Example corsa exhausts only touch V8s (you can get connector anyway but troublesome) and GM has CAIs only for V8s (2016-17 intake they sell which wont fit) and unless I get a tune it will be pointless. All im trying to accomplish with a V6 (if I can) is to get it as fast as a V8. I'm happy with my car. Its straight piped, I had plans on getting an xpipe with a borla exhaust later on but I'm seeing which dealer is friendly with tunes that wont void my warrenty but it sounds like from what I'm hearing a v8 wont give me trouble. I love my car and its roars. I'm not getting super fast for track, I would like it as fast as my brother in laws scat pack charger and a V8 SS just to be a badass daily driver.
There are some crazy fast Buick Grand National v6's out there. Not near the engine an LGX is. You can make some very serious power with a v6.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 01:26 PM   #73
Malbjey

Drives: 2022 Kia Stinger GT2
Keep the V6 and pay it off as fast as you can. Most importantly, do some DRIVER mods before doing any major changes to the car itself. Brakes and wheels are ok. What type of driving are you going to do? Track days? Drag Race? Have you honestly given yourself a chance to enjoy the car on some back roads or Autocross?

With that being said, if the Camaro is discontinuing in 2023 then I'll trade up my V6 then. Hell, if we get a new generation I may keep my V6 even longer and trade up after the first new model year. We'll see...
Malbjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 07:29 AM   #74
BlueShadow

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 2.0T 6spd
haha i'm actually in the same boat right now

A year or two ago i swore to myself that the next car i buy would be a V8. I'm just too old now to be tinkering with 4 bangers, trying to drop the motor, take it apart, sending the block off to get worked on and messing with turbo setups. Then when time came for me to start doing car shopping i thought that i would just go ahead and get the Camaro 2.0 and just work on the car to get it up to or near SS performance levels. But now i'm back to thinking that maybe i am just to old to be working on cars or that i dont have enough time. I dont even have a garage to work out of yet and living in California the laws just suck for those of us that want to mod cars.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:27 AM   #75
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxcam02 View Post
Don't forget premium gas and worse mileage.

The OP is talking about adding induction. That would require premium fuel and reduce his MPG. Performance may be on par with the V8 but he will still have that V6 sound. He could have just got a V8 by the time he puts $$$ into forced induction.
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 09:29 AM   #76
Deputy Dog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzia35 View Post
Take that negative equity and roll it into the new one. Go for an 8 year note, if the bank will let you!

LOL..8 year note will bring him to $45 or 50k with the interest!
Old 02-02-2020, 09:36 AM   #77
Deputy Dog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by awrj2000 View Post
I know things change and this is just my opinion on the situation.

I had a 2012 V6 Auto. Camaro... in day to day it actually did really well.
It is a heavy car, but the gear ratio keeps it feeling sporty.
The one change I did was put the vitesse throttle controller on it...really made a difference to throttle response.

4 years later I traded the car for a new 2016 V8 Auto Camaro. (still enjoy it).

What I found is the loud exhaust I can't "goof off" as much because cops can hear you 1/2 mile away.

Also as far as sound goes...
First gear - 0-25, really fast wind up on the motor.
Second gear - 25-50, great sound
Third gear - 50-90, .... your speeding!

What I'm getting at is you really don't get a chance to wind out the car and listen to it without being well into ticket range.
(as a comparison to a truck that makes lots of noise, but doesn't move) This car moves!

Looking between the V6 and V8 both do really well to 100 mph. After that the V8 will sprint into 140's and walk into 160's. Where the V6 walks into 120's and crawls into 130's.

With traction control all performance is limited to the tires, especially the V8 as far as acceleration.

I find running all season tires is much better for me, a few points to think about:
1- Rainy day: Performance tires seems like your on ice, top speed 45 mph
2- Cold weather: Performance tires constantly break loose and traction control kicks in
3- Tire life: Performance expect 10-15k if you want to hear the exhaust, 20k miles if you baby it (why baby it when your wanting more than the V6)

15k miles on a daily driver is generally under a year...$600 a year in tires.

Final note on performance tires...how often will you really try to push 1 G in a turn or take it above 100 mph and maintain that speed? Track days?

Getting back to the point. Both the v6 and v8 will do well up to 100mph.
Traction control is limiting both more than you realize at present.
Enjoy your car a few years and then test drive the v8 a few different weekends before you trade in.

Mine is the SS stick. In 1st gear I'm still winding out past 40mph, 2nd I'm I hitting 70!
Old 02-02-2020, 09:42 AM   #78
Deputy Dog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT58 View Post
This- yes- and other small upgrades- wheels, tires, etc. to make you love your V6. I know and understand the want for an SS. If I were very wealthy, I'd have an SS, 1LE, ZL1, etc. depending on how rich I was- or maybe even a C7 Vette. But I am not and I want to enjoy life. Enjoying life is a balance of loving your toys and having enough $$ to go places, buy other things.

That being said I love my V6. I bought mine used so cheap- only 19K with 6K miles on it. It was kind of boring- plain white with the silver 18" wheels and quiet factory exhaust. I transformed it... replaced the exhaust with MBRP axle back- that woke up the car- the sound- crackle and pops make me smile every time I drive it. $450.00 for the exhaust, I installed it myself. Then lightweight forged 20" wheels and tires. Wow, now that completed the transformation $2200 investment in tires and wheels. I went from liking the car to loving it. Total investment 22K, including tires, wheels and exhaust. Paid for and NO loan. It's so nice having no payment. And putting in regular 87 octane gas. And getting 33 MPG. I also love how lightweight the front end is with the lighter V6. People always look at my car, at the gas station and when I start it up, etc. And It's a conversation piece- I get asked about it- and when I say it's not an SS, it's V6 with 334 HP, runs on regular gas and gets 33 MPG they can't believe it.

With my car changed and loving it so much I plan on keeping it, no desire for an SS now.

So think about it and the depreciation and how much you will take a hit and how much $$ the dealer will take from you. You still have an awesome car in the mean time.

I had a 2011 V6 6speed back in the day. The best deepest exhaust note setup is to add a Magnaflow rectagular xpipe resonator upstream just behind the tranny, then add your dual flowmasters where the original muffler is. Its the best sound you can get. Do a YT search on this setup.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:46 AM   #79
Deputy Dog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
I've owned a 1978 with a built 350 V8, also owned a 6th gen SS 1LE and put multiple track days on it, and I've driven the 6 and now own a turbo 4. The smaller engine cars do not drive like generic sedans, and they definitely deserve the Camaro name. Heck, my turbo 4 is faster than my 1978 ever was.

People should also remember how much a difference rotating mass makes. If you have the extremely heavy OEM 20" wheels, you can achieve a remarkable improvement in power and fuel economy, just by going with lighter wheels. The point is, there are simple things you can do to get more power with the lighter cars, and not everyone needs, or wants the LT1. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed all of the V8 cars I've owned, I just like to present a balanced perspective to people coming on the board asking whether they should make big financial decisions in the pursuit of "moar power".

Want to add more HP to the wheels? Get a light weight carbon fiber drive shaft.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:01 AM   #80
Deputy Dog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoarinSnek View Post
Ok. Can someone answer me this question. Reason why I'm secretly in love with the V8 is because aftermarket stuff out there favor the V8 more than V6s. Example corsa exhausts only touch V8s (you can get connector anyway but troublesome) and GM has CAIs only for V8s (2016-17 intake they sell which wont fit) and unless I get a tune it will be pointless. All im trying to accomplish with a V6 (if I can) is to get it as fast as a V8. I'm happy with my car. Its straight piped, I had plans on getting an xpipe with a borla exhaust later on but I'm seeing which dealer is friendly with tunes that wont void my warrenty but it sounds like from what I'm hearing a v8 wont give me trouble. I love my car and its roars. I'm not getting super fast for track, I would like it as fast as my brother in laws scat pack charger and a V8 SS just to be a badass daily driver.

I was weened on V8s. during the 80s and 90s I was driving a 2.2 Dodge 4 banger, nice little car, then went with the GM V6, nice car again. I only went that route because performance was dead during those dark dreadful years. Then the Camaro came back out I drove the v8 and it was ok but I wasn't 100% satisfied with the performance. So I opted with V6 6 speed. I wasn't satisfied with that performance but I said I'll throw some bolt ons on it and drive for a few years for kicks. Great car, added some bolt on basics, nice performance in 1st and 2nd gear wind outs but no punch hitting 3rd. Then I went back to my roots with the SS V8 6 speed 6th gen. The car be punching. 1! 2! 3! punch! So far I only had the opportunity to punch it maybe 1 or 2 times hitting 4. Never have ever wound out 4th gear yet because I would well in triple digits and thats against the law.🥴
Old 02-02-2020, 10:07 AM   #81
Deputy Dog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
That scat pack has a 6.4 engine with 485 hp and 475 lb-ft torque, and it's "only" ~800 pounds heavier, there is no way you will compete with it stock despite the weight advantage. You'd need to add at least 100 hp, which will be difficult on a V6 with 335 hp that is very well tuned from the factory, unless you turn to forced induction.

It is a definite possibility, but as others said, makes the car harder to sell down the road, so you need to carefully weigh your options

The ScatPaks are heavy but they are no joke especially if they also have some bolt ons.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:30 AM   #82
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
as others have said you can get in enough trouble with just the 6.around here over 80 will cost you dearly.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 12:21 PM   #83
IMadeYouReadThis

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 6M / 11 GMC Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Only you can decide what suits you and your purposes best.

I've had a Gen5 V8 for 10 years now. I had to have the V-8 right then to make up for all the years of schlepping my kids around in mini-vans.

I love the torque, but looking back, my best times in the car were on road trips, eating ups the miles for 10 hours a day for days on end, rain or shine.

The best next Camaro for me will be a new V6 that comes with all-season tires, a quiet exhaust, and an appetite for regular gas.

that would be a good call.

0 to 60 times very similar between the 5th gen V8 and the 6th gen V6
IMadeYouReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 01:51 PM   #84
Jonster

Drives: 18 2SS Vert Hotwheels
Call me crazy, but after looking at the market of 2019/2020 new and used 2LT/3LT Camaros...the prices are pushing 33k on the LOW end and upwards of 45K for fully loaded convertibles. The low end includes a few addons, but that price seems extremely high.

Around me (CLT NC area) there are lightly used 2ss hard tops for 35-40k.

Seems like a no brainer just from a resale and value perspective to get a 2ss than a fully loaded...but if there is a good deal on a 2lt/3lt with tasteful addons - I'd consider it. I just haven't seen them unless its the 2016-2018 version.