Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 10-06-2019, 11:48 AM   #1
Jonster

Drives: 18 2SS Vert Hotwheels
Advice: Daily Driver Long Commute

Hey community,

I’ve been looking for a while and wanted to pay off my current Hyundai Elantra before purchasing, but after discussing with wife, she made a good point and asked why I would spend so much on a car only to drive it occasionally. We can afford letting me daily drive the camaro (gas/maintenance) and we know I’ll enjoy driving it all the time anyhow, so let’s stop caring about depreciation and enjoy the car. I’ll never really enjoy taking “the commute car”.

I currently drive 35-40 miles one way to work (~55-60 min). Instead of paying off my Hyundai I want to just trade it in for a camaro (debating between 3LT or 2SS, I like the features and tech). Only features I care about in addition to trim are NPP exhaust and blackout package.

The point of this post was to ask for recommendations that can make it better for a daily driver. Are all weather tires the best route? Is the v6 (or v4) really that much more practical in terms of maintenance/Gas? Any mods or changes you recommend for better commuting? Etc

Side note: I never plan to track the car, just simply get looks and enjoy an awesome car daily. I’ll probably keep the car for 3-4 years and upgrade.

Thanks in advance
Old 10-06-2019, 12:02 PM   #2
Azerlazer26

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
If you decide on getting an SS, I HIGHLY recommend getting magnetic ride. The ability from going to soft/floaty suspension to stiff/aggressive is just unreal!

As far as tires go, I’m doing ok with the stock Goodyear summer tires on the car. For your case, I’d go for the all season tires.

MPG wise, I’m averaging 17MPG- Mostly hard City driving and a highway commute to college and back which isn’t bad for a 6.2 V8.
Azerlazer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 12:22 PM   #3
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
I drove both the V6 and the V8 in a very similar configuration (2LT with convenience & lighting package vs 2SS). Gas mileage is tangibly better with the V6, plus you can run it on regular gas, which adds up quickly if you're going to daily the car. We're talking 33-35 mpg highway for the V6 vs 28-30 for the V8.

When it comes to choosing between the I4, V6 and V8 engines, I can only quote Morpheus from the Matrix, no one can tell you what to buy, you have to experience it yourself. To some, the V8 is an absolute must and nothing else will satisfy them in a muscle/sports car; to others it's a totally impractical and expensive choice without much benefit. I thought I was in the second category and was sorely mistaken, thus decided to eat the cost of the upgrade and never regretted it (only that I'd tried to rationalize my initial V6 purchase).

As to tires, the summer Goodyear runflats my SS came with were absolutely horrible in the rain and very noisy, too, so I replaced them with Michelin PS4S's and never looked back (sacrificed a bit of dry grip with the Goodyears properly heated up). If you get a standard 3LT with no RS package, you'll get non-runflat all-seasons with a taller sidewall that will be much more amenable to daily driving, but don't really have the look of muscle car power. It's definitely your call after all.

In terms of mods, first of all if you get the V6 (3LT trim), the convenience and lighting package is highly recommended IMO, because it gives you blind spot monitoring, memory seats and a cool, color heads-up display. I would also get the dual mode exhaust option (NPP), it gives you a total Jekyll and Hyde engine sound for $995, with controls integrated into the infotainment screen. Magnetic ride control (if you choose the 2SS) is very cool, too, but honestly, unless you have the budget and road quality is an issue for you, I'd probably save the $1700 and not get it.

Finally, I'd install some hash marks as well as the black bowties front and rear, the standard gold ones look totally out of place on this car. You can order the car with these, but it's much cheaper to go to an online parts site and install them yourself. Other than these options, I wouldn't mod the car at first, you'll see which aspects you think need modding once you drive the car a few thousand miles.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18

Last edited by arpad_m; 10-06-2019 at 08:07 PM. Reason: pre-supercharger ss mileage was better than that, fixed
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 12:26 PM   #4
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
If you go with the 2SS, Living in North Carolina you can probably get away with keeping the stock summer-only tires on all year. Anymore north and you’d have to get winter tires or switch to all-seasons. BTW it’s turbo inline-4, not “V4”..... only V4 ever made in mass production was Saab back in the 60s. And your fuel cost between the turbo 4 and V6 won’t be much different at all because the t4 requires premium while the V6 uses regular. You’d only really notice any difference in maintenance costs if you go with the SS. Even then I don’t think it would be astronomical because I’ve seen people getting over 30 MPG highway on their fuel computers with the LT1 and 8 speed auto. Now they use a 10 speed. Heck people were getting 30 on the highway in the old 4th gen F-bodies with the old 350 and 4 speed auto
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 12:26 PM   #5
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
So you get snow where you're at? How many miles a year will you drive? If you easily afford the extra maintenance cost, insurance, gas, and overall vehicle cost, then I'd do the V8 for sure.
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 12:50 PM   #6
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Get the automatic and test drive one as much as you can. Visibility for Normal driving is fine. Backing up and tight areas is a little trickier. Also doors are very long and rear seat is small.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 01:08 PM   #7
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
if theres any doubt about your budget go with the V6 3LT.it will be more than an adequate commuter while running on regular gas.unless youre going to race the SS is really not needed.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 04:19 PM   #8
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
I'm assuming you don't have that 5th gen SS in your sig anymore

I'd say go with the V6. It's the best daily driver if you aren't going to mod and don't need the extra torque of the turbo. You can put regular gas in it, and the cost of ownership will be lowest. Stock for stock, it is technically faster in the 0-60 and quarter mile than the turbo 4, but I will say that having driven both, the turbo 4 *feels* faster, because its lighter and dives into corners better, and when the turbo is making peak torque it definitely kicks you in the pants more than the V6.

But the 2.0T requires premium fuel, and that is the price you pay for that little extra kick.

My 2.0T gets 33-34 mpg on the highway pretty easily. The V6 should net you the same but on 87 octane. The total difference in cost of ownership between the 2.0T and the V6 will be small but it is there.

SS is not a good daily driver for your purposes. Lots of people daily their SS or even ZL1, and will tell you to "Just do it man, you'll regret your life forever if you don't." Don't fall for it. They say that to anyone and everyone no matter what their financial situation or plan for using the car.

If you came on here and said "I'm looking to get a Camaro to put in my garage as a museum piece and never drive it, ever"....people would respond with "SS or nothing! RESALE VALUE!"
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 07:22 PM   #9
Jonster

Drives: 18 2SS Vert Hotwheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
I'm assuming you don't have that 5th gen SS in your sig anymore

I'd say go with the V6. It's the best daily driver if you aren't going to mod and don't need the extra torque of the turbo. You can put regular gas in it, and the cost of ownership will be lowest. Stock for stock, it is technically faster in the 0-60 and quarter mile than the turbo 4, but I will say that having driven both, the turbo 4 *feels* faster, because its lighter and dives into corners better, and when the turbo is making peak torque it definitely kicks you in the pants more than the V6.

But the 2.0T requires premium fuel, and that is the price you pay for that little extra kick.

My 2.0T gets 33-34 mpg on the highway pretty easily. The V6 should net you the same but on 87 octane. The total difference in cost of ownership between the 2.0T and the V6 will be small but it is there.

SS is not a good daily driver for your purposes. Lots of people daily their SS or even ZL1, and will tell you to "Just do it man, you'll regret your life forever if you don't." Don't fall for it. They say that to anyone and everyone no matter what their financial situation or plan for using the car.

If you came on here and said "I'm looking to get a Camaro to put in my garage as a museum piece and never drive it, ever"....people would respond with "SS or nothing! RESALE VALUE!"
Pretty much how I feel.

Thanks all for the feedback and kind comments. While we may disagree, we can all agree camaro is the best looking of three.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:41 PM   #10
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonster View Post
Pretty much how I feel.

Thanks all for the feedback and kind comments. While we may disagree, we can all agree camaro is the best looking of three.
And best driving. Have you ever driven a 6th gen?
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:05 PM   #11
BluinSC

Drives: BVM 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonster View Post
Hey community,

I’ve been looking for a while and wanted to pay off my current Hyundai Elantra before purchasing, but after discussing with wife, she made a good point and asked why I would spend so much on a car only to drive it occasionally. We can afford letting me daily drive the camaro (gas/maintenance) and we know I’ll enjoy driving it all the time anyhow, so let’s stop caring about depreciation and enjoy the car. I’ll never really enjoy taking “the commute car”.

I currently drive 35-40 miles one way to work (~55-60 min). Instead of paying off my Hyundai I want to just trade it in for a camaro (debating between 3LT or 2SS, I like the features and tech). Only features I care about in addition to trim are NPP exhaust and blackout package.

The point of this post was to ask for recommendations that can make it better for a daily driver. Are all weather tires the best route? Is the v6 (or v4) really that much more practical in terms of maintenance/Gas? Any mods or changes you recommend for better commuting? Etc

Side note: I never plan to track the car, just simply get looks and enjoy an awesome car daily. I’ll probably keep the car for 3-4 years and upgrade.

Thanks in advance

Had a 75 mile commute with the first camaro I had (one way). As long as you can stay off the gas you can easily get 30-35 mpg at 70 mph with the SS. All season tires are must, because the stock summer tires are very noisy on the interstate. I would recommend the DWS 06 Conti tires.

Good luck and have fun.
BluinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:00 AM   #12
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
I belong to a Camaro club with 2 people that have the turbo4 for daily commuting and they love it.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:22 AM   #13
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
I have the same daily commute as you and went through a similar debate. My final choice was a Camaro 1LT, V6, manual 6 speed. I choose it as I pretty much found the car. I was initially looking for a V6 Camaro 6 speed manual had to be white due to how hot it is where I live- 2017 or 2018 with NPP. I found the 2016 (white) with only 6K miles and picked it up for only 19K. I have been driving it 3-4 months now and can confirm it's a great choice for a commuter. Reasons- the 6 speed is pure joy to row, the car gets great gas mileage- I average 33 MPG, it runs on regular 87 octane gas, it's super fun to drive instead of a boring "cookie cutter" car and even the cloth base seats in it are super comfy for the long drive. And it's still way fast enough when you wind up the 6. Doesn't have the monster torque of the SS V8 but plenty enough for the commute and to have a little fun once in a while. The only changes I made to it so far is upgrade the super quiet non NPP to a MBRP axle back. The car now has a nice throaty sound and the V6 howls nicely at the upper RPM's. To me, it's the perfect balance for a fun, daily commuter that won't break the bank on operating costs. For a weekend only car I would for sure get the SS but for daily driver the V6 is a fine machine.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:31 AM   #14
red_johnny

Drives: 2016 Gray 2SS M6
I agree with most everyone else here, decide what you want (gas mileage or power) then narrow down your options. I opted for the power/comfort with the 2SS, love those cooled leather seats on long trips. I have the mag ride as well and love it. I mostly keep it in touring and I daily drive mine. City driving will drive your MPG down but highway can get towards the 30's if you keep it in one gear and speed. I cant keep my foot off the pedal even if in cruise.
red_johnny is offline   Reply With Quote