Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-27-2024, 04:03 PM   #29
BWeir49221

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1LE
I think the Kicker stuff would work better for my budget, especially since I want to do a little sound-proofing around the rear wheel wells. That’s where I notice all the road noise from. I’m trying to decide if I want to splurge on a JL sub or go with a Kicker L7 in their preloaded downfiring enclosure.
BWeir49221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 06:36 PM   #30
TrickyLT1

Drives: 2023 LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWeir49221 View Post
I’m trying to decide if I want to splurge on a JL sub or go with a Kicker L7 in their preloaded downfiring enclosure.
This is my only vehicle, so I needed all the trunk space. The rear deck was the only option that was going to work for me. If you can use a box, then your options are many!

Rick
TrickyLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 07:38 PM   #31
BWeir49221

Can you feel the bass from those 8’s? Do they cause a lot of vibration being mounted in the deck? How’s the bass coming from the Kicker 6x9’s?
Old 01-28-2024, 12:59 PM   #32
TrickyLT1

Drives: 2023 LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWeir49221 View Post
Can you feel the bass from those 8’s? Do they cause a lot of vibration being mounted in the deck? How’s the bass coming from the Kicker 6x9’s?
You can most definitely feel the bass from the 8s, especially in pop and rap more than in the hard rock I generally listen to. I stuffed the area between the deck and the inside cover with 2" foam from Hobby Lobby, then used sound deadening on the deck metal. No rattles with even the heaviest of bass and turned up.

The bass from the 6x9s is good, but the problem is the door panels rattle a lot as others on here have mentioned. I have what sound deadening I could reach from underneath on them (I couldn't actually get them to release from the window area to take them off) and they are crossed over at about 120hz.

I had a VW GTI with the Fender premium system for 6 years prior to the Camaro. It had the 6" spare tire sub and I think it was very heavily boosted at 40hz, so a lot was added in that system to help the low end that is not in the Camaro. I do think there is some amount of low bass attenuation though as there are some notes that simply aren't there that I know are. The KEYLOC might help that.

Rick
Attached Images

TrickyLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 10:23 PM   #33
BWeir49221

I like the setup you have. I’ve never heard a free-air sub. It looks like a smart way to make use of the deck holes and not lose trunk space. I listen to country and rock, so I don’t need nor want a boomy subwoofer. A pair of 8’s like you have may be a better way to go in the end. I’m worried a 10” or 12” may cause a lot of rattles in the trunk and lid.

The sound proofing I’m wanting to do is mainly to keep excessive road noise out, not so much to prevent rattles from speakers.