Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

AWE Tuning

Old 12-03-2023, 09:56 AM   #15
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
It's garaged, insured, and I'm not going to leave it overnight in places like a hotel parking lot. If I ever do, I'll probably pull some fuses so it can't be readily started, but that won't keep someone from dragging it onto a flatbed.

There's some amount of risk in everything.
Unfortunately there is no way around leaving it in a hotel parking lot for those of us that drive far away for track days.

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 10:00 AM   #16
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
I use a Faraday pouch for the keys when I drive it and have to go to a store. It blocks the signal from the keys and car as they talk to each other constantly for location so the doors unlock. Leave car, lock it, put keys into pouch immediately. That way the signal locator theives use can’t pickup your fob signal. And of course the push button start doesn’t help either if they do get in unfortunately. But if they do breakin they can’t start it without a signal at least.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 10:30 AM   #17
MT-SS1LE

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE Sharkskin
Sorry about your car. I hate staying in hotels with a nice car, or any car really. They are definitely prime targets for thieves. I try to choose hotels with one floor where I can park in front of my door if at all possible. At least I may hear something.

I remember back in the 80's and early 90's you could get removable steering wheels and people were using them for theft deterrence also. Of course, this was before airbags and it was relatively easy to do then. Not sure it's feasible nowadays, but would definitely be a great theft deterrent!
Old 12-03-2023, 10:36 AM   #18
taylorforschool@gmail.com
PKG4U

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-SS1LE View Post
Sorry about your car. I hate staying in hotels with a nice car, or any car really. They are definitely prime targets for thieves. I try to choose hotels with one floor where I can park in front of my door if at all possible. At least I may hear something.

I remember back in the 80's and early 90's you could get removable steering wheels and people were using them for theft deterrence also. Of course, this was before airbags and it was relatively easy to do then. Not sure it's feasible nowadays, but would definitely be a great theft deterrent!
The idea of a removable steering wheel sounds awesome IMO. I would buy the product that could maintain some OEM function and also be easily removable. How much that would cost I would probably be scared to hear lol

Mods after Warranty “Imma keep it stock”
taylorforschool@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 11:23 AM   #19
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
Unfortunately there is no way around leaving it in a hotel parking lot for those of us that drive far away for track days.
With everything, there is risk.

The level-up is towing it in an enclosed trailer behind an RV and staying at nice RV parks along the way to a far-away track event. Less likely to get stolen in that scenario.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 02:13 PM   #20
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
Kill switch
Megahurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 03:00 PM   #21
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
You are right that it might not fully block the signal. I've been working there a long time and never had a problem, so I'm not very worried. I think it's easy enough to throw the fob in the cabinet rather than having it in a pocket. If nothing else, it should at least reduce the signal a lot and make it more difficult to pick up outside the building.
I use https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1, quick and cheap. I've tested them - works well - can't unlock the car when you're standing right next to it.
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 04:54 PM   #22
Hack

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
I use https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1, quick and cheap. I've tested them - works well - can't unlock the car when you're standing right next to it.
Good choice, and cheap too.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 05:52 PM   #23

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
The pouch looks like a good idea. My Camaro mostly stays in the garage. My other two outside vehicles get the club steering wheel locks. Prior to the club, my truck got broken into twice and almost stolen. They badly damaged the ignition switch and column plastic, but they gave up and quit. The cops said they "ran out of time" and didn't want to mess with it for any longer. I was lucky. To that end, the club adds more time to the theft attempt and is highly visible. There are plenty of other vehicles without the club that can be stolen in less time. Time is the key. Nothing is unstealable, but the easier targets are hit more often. Since I started using the club, no break-ins or theft attempts.

All circumstances, locations, etc. can be very different, but I'd rather hassle the club than not use it and wish I had. Good luck.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 06:32 PM   #24
tenargo57

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
The pouch looks like a good idea.

I recently bought a few on Amazon and they do their job, but I wish I would have paid attention to the dimensions and looked for a smaller one. Mine are just a bit smaller than my iphone 12 and a bit thicker with a key in it. I don't like to carry a bunch of stuff in my pockets so I tend not to use them unless I'm traveling or going to someone's house in a busy area. I bought a faraday box to keep my keys in at home, a much more convenient solution.
tenargo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 07:11 PM   #25
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenargo57 View Post
I recently bought a few on Amazon and they do their job, but I wish I would have paid attention to the dimensions and looked for a smaller one. Mine are just a bit smaller than my iphone 12 and a bit thicker with a key in it. I don't like to carry a bunch of stuff in my pockets so I tend not to use them unless I'm traveling or going to someone's house in a busy area. I bought a faraday box to keep my keys in at home, a much more convenient solution.
Yes, I use a box at home (actually two - one for my spare key fobs) and the pouch whenever I'm out. The one I linked to barely fits the Camaro fob, so I think it's a good size for me.
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 07:29 PM   #26
LT14EVA

Drives: Camaro
For the most car my car is garaged with very little risk. I do have a clutch or brake pedal Club that I could use in any sketchy areas. I have heard they work rather well as aposed to the clubs that clamps onto the steering wheel.
LT14EVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 10:55 PM   #27
The Zebra

Drives: '24 ZL1 A10, '70 Olds 442 W-30
S & W
The Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 07:53 AM   #28
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
When I was a kid my parents both had 1985 Buick Regals with this alarm siren on it. It was made by a now-defunct company called Chapman, and it was an air-horn siren that would just obliterate your ear drums when it operated.

I actually found an unused, brand new kit on ebay which I bought for $10.00 and now am in the process of trying to figure out how to integrate this siren into my Camaro's factory security system so if someone breaks in not only does the factory horn honk, but this siren wails!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=mVRYIUrsMNk
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote