Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-23-2020, 10:07 PM   #1
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Open car trailer

I have it pretty much narrowed down to 4 options.
1. Sundowner aluminum 20ft standard open car hauler
2. Sundowner ultra series 22ft open car hauler
3. Ironworks 20ft Challenger series
4. Ironworks 20ft Eliminator tilt series

Ok on the Sundowners I know what and how to option them out so the car door clears the trailer tires and/or fenders. The only option I keep going back and forth on is no dove tail or to go with a dove tail? Sundowner has a 3ft dove tail option. The only thing is is with a dove tail, the ramps are stored on the sides of the trailer vs out back.

As for the ironsworks, I know I'm good with opening the doors even without removing the fenders from what I was told. Has anyone here had experience with either or both of the challenger or eleminator? What I'm trying to figure out is whether the tilt version would be easier to load my car vs the standard with pull out ramps and a 4ft dove tail? And by easier I am referring to the approach angles and needing as little as possible to get this low slung sitting Camaro on and off the trailer without dragging. Or is it a wash maybe???

Last edited by Silveradoss573; 07-28-2021 at 06:55 AM.
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 09:22 AM   #2
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
I've been trailer shopping also and have similar concerns as my Z has such a low snout. I was at a track event recently and traced the approach of a friends Sloan Kwik Load trailer. I'm going to make a cardboard mock-up and check the front splitter clearance. Old TV box and a couple 2 X 4s should suffice. Remember, never throw anything away.
Attached Images

Old 12-24-2020, 09:28 AM   #3
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
You could put a couple 12×6's down to help the approach angle.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 03:06 PM   #4
Silveradoss573

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBananaSS View Post
You could put a couple 12×6's down to help the approach angle.
Correct but what I'm asking is tilt trailer angle less, more or the same as the standard with a 4ft dove and ramps. We've got a new set of spare race ramps too.
Old 12-24-2020, 03:09 PM   #5
Silveradoss573

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
I've been trailer shopping also and have similar concerns as my Z has such a low snout. I was at a track event recently and traced the approach of a friends Sloan Kwik Load trailer. I'm going to make a cardboard mock-up and check the front splitter clearance. Old TV box and a couple 2 X 4s should suffice. Remember, never throw anything away.
Great idea...

My issue is there's only 1 or 2 dealers in the state that carries ironworks and both are roughly 2 hrs. away and they don't have either model in stock right now.
Old 12-24-2020, 04:04 PM   #6
1911 1LE

Drives: 2015 SW 2SS 1LE
Go with the one that has ramps. The reason is, because both are 83" between the fenders, but you you give up the width of the tubing at the fenders with the tilt version. Look at the pictures on their site and you will see what I'm talking about. If your 1le is stock height, it SHOULD load without issue with ramps. I have to put a couple of boards per ramp, but I'm lowered.
Maggie 2650 @ 18psi/ 75mm 10 rib/ Dual alky nozzles/ Roto-fab/ ARH 2" Lt's/ GT-12 cam/ ZL1 3.23 Conv./MGW/RPS triple carbon clutch/RSG tranny upgrage/Pedders Ex. XA w/ remote cans and a lot of other crap 897/8??@tires
1911 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 05:47 PM   #7
Silveradoss573

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911 1LE View Post
Go with the one that has ramps. The reason is, because both are 83" between the fenders, but you you give up the width of the tubing at the fenders with the tilt version. Look at the pictures on their site and you will see what I'm talking about. If your 1le is stock height, it SHOULD load without issue with ramps. I have to put a couple of boards per ramp, but I'm lowered.
Yeah I saw that with the tilt width. I found this on a dealers page last week. From what I measured with the 3500# setup, I would have maybe a couple of inches on each side. The 5200# option would be to narrow. So you have the challenger series?

18' Overeall Length 23', 20' Overall Length 25ft, 22' Overall Length 27'

With 3500 lb axles the trailer is 83" in Between Fenders, But - -

Actual Usable Bed Width is 78.5" with 3500lb Axles, because the bed tilts inside the main frame

Actual Usable Bed Width is 75.5" with 5200lb Axles, because the bed tilts inside the main frame

Old 12-25-2020, 08:16 AM   #8
1911 1LE

Drives: 2015 SW 2SS 1LE
I have the 20' Diamond C with ramps and air dam. PM your number and I'll send you some pics. I'm leaving for the deer lease in a couple hours, I may not get back to you till Monday.
Maggie 2650 @ 18psi/ 75mm 10 rib/ Dual alky nozzles/ Roto-fab/ ARH 2" Lt's/ GT-12 cam/ ZL1 3.23 Conv./MGW/RPS triple carbon clutch/RSG tranny upgrage/Pedders Ex. XA w/ remote cans and a lot of other crap 897/8??@tires
1911 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 10:32 AM   #9
CAMARO_HEAVEN
Big John

Drives: Wife 2013 Camaro 2SSRS / ME?
This is what I have.
20 foot aluma HD anniversary model power tilt with winch
I do have to use my race ramps to load my Z28 but it's not bad.
I love this trailer and had it built to my specs. Drove 6 hours to Georgia besttrailers4u to pick up but save a butt load of money($2500) over trailer world in Bowling Green.
Attached Images

CAMARO_HEAVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 11:27 AM   #10
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMARO_HEAVEN View Post
This is what I have.
20 foot aluma HD anniversary model power tilt with winch
I do have to use my race ramps to load my Z28 but it's not bad.
I love this trailer and had it built to my specs. Drove 6 hours to Georgia besttrailers4u to pick up but save a butt load of money($2500) over trailer world in Bowling Green.
Yours is the same trailer I just sold in April.

They now have an Executive Edition that has both tilt and ramps so no need for race ramps.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 803
Size:  48.5 KB

I'm pretty settled on a Sundowner 20' with dovetail this time around.

Name:  Sundowner.JPG
Views: 781
Size:  133.9 KB
Old 12-25-2020, 11:45 AM   #11
CAMARO_HEAVEN
Big John

Drives: Wife 2013 Camaro 2SSRS / ME?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Yours is the same trailer I just sold in April.

They now have an Executive Edition that has both tilt and ramps so no need for race ramps.

Attachment 1053800

I'm pretty settled on a Sundowner 20' with dovetail this time around.

Attachment 1053801
Maybe I can get mine retro fitted.
Did not know thanks for the info brother
Merry Christmas
CAMARO_HEAVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 12:53 PM   #12
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMARO_HEAVEN View Post
Maybe I can get mine retro fitted.
Did not know thanks for the info brother
Merry Christmas
Unfortunately not... I found out about this new twist right after I purchased my Anniversary Edition. I had a ton of issues with the way my dealer installed the winch and ended up selling the trailer thinking about going with the Executive one. Now I'm kid of liking Sundowner and may pull the trigger early in jan.
Old 12-25-2020, 01:24 PM   #13
Silveradoss573

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911 1LE View Post
I have the 20' Diamond C with ramps and air dam. PM your number and I'll send you some pics. I'm leaving for the deer lease in a couple hours, I may not get back to you till Monday.
Thanks but I had a 12chs custom built for me about 4 years ago. Unfortunately they didn't prep the metal properly before painting it. In less than a year, the fenders had to be completely sandblasted/ resprayed and the paint starting peeling really bad on other areas so I sold it after a year and a half. Definitely a unfortunate deal that still bugs me even today when I think about it because it was such a nice looking trailer and it pulled so nice and it was mine. This is part of the reason I'm looking at sundowners aluminum trailers as well. I'm just having a hard time justifying the the $$$$ though which is why I'm looking at iron works. Picture below is the day I brought it home after waiting 3 months for it to be built.

Last edited by Silveradoss573; 07-28-2021 at 06:55 AM.
Old 12-25-2020, 05:31 PM   #14
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveradoss573 View Post
Thanks but I had a 12chs custom built for me about 4 years ago. Unfortunately they didn't prep the metal properly before painting it. In less than a year, the fenders had to be completely sandblasted/ resprayed and the paint starting peeling really bad on other areas so I sold it after a year and a half. Definitely a unfortunate deal that still bugs me even today when I think about it because it was such a nice looking trailer and it pulled so nice and it was mine. This is part of the reason I'm looking at sundowners aluminum trailers as well. I'm just having a hard time justifying the the $$$$ though which is why I'm looking at iron works. Picture below is the day I brought it home after waiting 3 months for it to be built.
Exactly why I went aluminum and probably will on this next one. They really hold their value too. I got almost full price back out of my Aluma

These are nice aluminum trailers.. BeckyD had one at Camrao Fest IX.

https://www.hillsboroindustries.com/...pen-car-hauler