Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Phastek Performance

Old 01-05-2023, 06:50 AM   #169
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
So yes, there may be carbon emissions in building each charging station. And there are carbon emissions in building each electric vehicle. There are also carbon emissions in building each ICE vehicle. The difference is, once all those things are built, the carbon impact for each of those things is over…banked. With an ICE vehicle you get an additional carbon impact every time you turn the key.
Not so fast.

You're discounting power generation. In many cases you are just shifting emissions from the tailpipe elsewhere. I believe coal is still a quarter of power generation in the US, and as much as 70% on a per state basis. So where you buy and charge counts.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 09:37 AM   #170
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
Not so fast.

You're discounting power generation. In many cases you are just shifting emissions from the tailpipe elsewhere. I believe coal is still a quarter of power generation in the US, and as much as 70% on a per state basis. So where you buy and charge counts.

Exactly. I bet my SS has lower emissions than an EV once you account for how the electricity is being generated.

Where exactly is the magical clean electricity coming from? Unicorn and fairy farts?
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 10:01 AM   #171
kevint

Drives: 2013 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
Exactly. I bet my SS has lower emissions than an EV once you account for how the electricity is being generated.

Where exactly is the magical clean electricity coming from? Unicorn and fairy farts?
Power generation at infrastructure scale is far cleaner and more efficient.
kevint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 10:19 AM   #172
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
Not so fast.

Quote:

I have pointed out in other posts, some in this thread, that energy companies are already moving forward on replacing their power generation footprints. In Michigan for example, the two largest utilities are committing to eliminate coal by either 2040 or 2050. I’m at a conference right now and don’t have the exact detail at my fingertips. They are replacing coal with hydro, natural gas, solar, wind, and varying combinations of those.

My team is also in the process of doing studies for several regional utilities across the country to help them develop their strategies to improve their carbon footprint. Today’s power generation is not what will be in place by the time BEV are the majority of vehicles sold (mid 2030s).
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 11:12 AM   #173
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint View Post
Power generation at infrastructure scale is far cleaner and more efficient.
If coal fired plants are so clean and efficient why are we phasing them out? If what you say is true, why are people distorting the comparisons by pretending that the electricity EVs use is emissions free when we know it isn't?

Sorry, I don't buy it.
Old 01-05-2023, 11:33 AM   #174
kevint

Drives: 2013 1SS
Quote:
If coal fired plants are so clean and efficient why are we phasing them out? If what you say is true, why are people distorting the comparisons by pretending that the electricity EVs use is emissions free when we know it isn't?

Sorry, I don't buy it.
We (however you define the term) aren't a monolith. What I'm trying to say, and forgive me for not explaining my thoughts the first time, is that on a per-vehicle basis, what it costs to generate the power to charge an electric vehicle is less than the cost of filling and running an ICE.
kevint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 11:53 AM   #175
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
kevint meant what I thought he did. A reason plug-in hybrids should be very appealing to the home-owning, crossover appliance buyer.
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 12:04 PM   #176
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
I have pointed out in other posts, some in this thread, that energy companies are already moving forward on replacing their power generation footprints. In Michigan for example, the two largest utilities are committing to eliminate coal by either 2040 or 2050. I’m at a conference right now and don’t have the exact detail at my fingertips. They are replacing coal with hydro, natural gas, solar, wind, and varying combinations of those.

My team is also in the process of doing studies for several regional utilities across the country to help them develop their strategies to improve their carbon footprint. Today’s power generation is not what will be in place by the time BEV are the majority of vehicles sold (mid 2030s).
I'm all for energy generation diversity, as I am vehicle propulsion technology diversity. In fact, I hold a Blazer EV reservation for my wife and her commute. That all makes sense (even though the latter will disappear as many on this site lament). I think we should be honest that the only driver for the switch to EVs is not solely emissions.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost

Last edited by snizzle; 01-05-2023 at 12:16 PM.
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 01:52 PM   #177
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

The greens hate natural gas and hydro almost as much as oil and coal. In their fever dreams everything will be solar and wind. Their refusal to recognize the limits in both generation and storage are why the EV movement will fail. We don’t have the materials or technology to store even a fraction of our energy needs and the ability to do that isn’t going to be there for the foreseeable future.
Old 01-05-2023, 02:09 PM   #178
Rob3D

Drives: Car
Quote:

What’s your source for this?
Rob3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 02:19 PM   #179
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Total annual power consumption in the US with the current number of EVs is about 3.93 trillion KWh.
https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/...lectricity.php

If demand were evenly distributed throughout the year (it's not, which makes the challenge bigger) we would be using about 10,767. GWh per day.

Total utility battery storage available is about 7.8 GWh. https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/de...f%20the%20year.

We currently have storage capacity for .07% of our daily needs. That 7/100ths of a percent of a day's storage.

How many days storage do we need to cover the times when the sun isn't shining and the wind isn't blowing? Two days? A week? What will that look like when we're at 100% EVs? Ready for more rolling blackouts?

Just to get one day of storage at our current consumption rate we need to expand storage to 1,429 TIMES what we currently have. Where are all those batteries going to come from, the Energizer Bunny?

Keep in mind, that's with no additional EVs and that doesn't even address how many turbines and solar panels we'll need.

I suspect you could cover the entire state of Texas with panels and turbines and still not be generating enough power.

Last edited by Wyzz Kydd; 01-05-2023 at 02:36 PM.
Old 01-05-2023, 02:29 PM   #180
Rob3D

Drives: Car
…and then there’s, you know, facts.

https://www.epa.gov/greenvehicles/el...-vehicle-myths
Rob3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 03:05 PM   #181
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob3D View Post
…and then there’s, you know, facts.

https://www.epa.gov/greenvehicles/el...-vehicle-myths
Lol! You’re citing the EPA? Very funny. That’s like citing cigarette manufacturers on the safety of smoking.

This is the same agency that classifies mud puddles as navigable waters.

Last edited by Wyzz Kydd; 01-05-2023 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-05-2023, 04:43 PM   #182
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Did not read the whole thread so sorry if this has already been posted

And while we argue about small savings around the margins, China has almost as many coal fired power plants as the rest of the world combined... and is building more.

India has the second most and, best I can tell, isn't shutting any down.

So feel good about your EV saving a tiny bit of emissions if you want to, but it is not making any difference.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote