Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 08-17-2020, 05:53 AM   #1
n12k1

Drives: V6 2LT Camaro Overkilled
Question Glove box damper removal?

Today I wanted to replace my cabin air filter, but forgot to remove the damper string before pulling the glove box and it snapped. I tried to figure out how to remove and repair/replace it but without success. Is there an easy way to do it without removing the whole dash assembly?
n12k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:01 AM   #2
n12k1

Drives: V6 2LT Camaro Overkilled
Attached Images

n12k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:12 AM   #3
Justcruising

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by n12k1 View Post
I am also wanting to know
Justcruising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 07:24 PM   #4
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Very late reply to an old problem, but I just hope this helps someone if you happen to be forgetful like me and forget to pull the damper cord off the glovebox before pulling it.

What you need are a low profile T20 screwdriver(doesn't have to be for the tamper-proof variety, thankfully) and a new damper.

Get a screwdriver like these:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08L8F7YG4

The part number for the damper itself should be 23498323; I ordered it and the dealer said it might take a few days to get here so I will update once it gets here. From the description, it should be the correct part.

Detach the glovebox as usual, and then reach the low profile screwdriver around the back of the pictured panel(normally right behind the glovebox; it's right in plain sight after you flip the glovebox out of the way) and feel for the screws holding the damper in place. There are two little dimples in the front of the panel that should give you an idea of where the screws are in the back. It will take a little while to back the screws out, but with some patience, it's not too difficult. Then replace the damper and you should be good to go. Just don't do it again, LOL.
Attached Images

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 07:41 PM   #5
UnknownJinX

The new damper/dampener got here today, and the part number posted above is correct. Install went pretty smoothly, and now my glovebox doesn't slam down anymore, so that's great.

Past:
Old 07-21-2021, 07:15 AM   #6
my3sons_nh

Drives: 2018 2SS A8 Convertible Garnet Red
Thanks for the info. Just ordered a new one for my '18 2SS as I've had to replace a few cabin air filters due to mice... They really, really suck and I'm in a battle with them! I need to see where the fresh air inlet is and try to devise some sort of screen/block to keep them out.

btw... When I went to order the low profile set with the link you included it seems to come from Amazon.ca and can't ship to me in MA... I'm sure I can find another one in AmazonLand! ;-)

Thanks again!
my3sons_nh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 06:37 PM   #7
Sephx1

Drives: 18 ZLE, 18 SS1LE, 16 SS, 23 ZL1
Man what a pain this is. Took me a couple hours. I didn’t want to wait for the offset T20 so I cut a T20 bit and put it in a 1/4” wrench. Not ideal but got by. One recommendation is to take out the right side screw first then spin the dampener around so you have better access to the left screw. Same on install.
Attached Images

Sephx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 07:28 PM   #8
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by my3sons_nh View Post
Thanks for the info. Just ordered a new one for my '18 2SS as I've had to replace a few cabin air filters due to mice... They really, really suck and I'm in a battle with them! I need to see where the fresh air inlet is and try to devise some sort of screen/block to keep them out.
Here is one of many threads about mice in the cabin air filter:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=578023
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 08:16 PM   #9
UnknownJinX

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3sons_nh View Post

btw... When I went to order the low profile set with the link you included it seems to come from Amazon.ca and can't ship to me in MA... I'm sure I can find another one in AmazonLand! ;-)

Thanks again!
You are welcome. And regarding the link, it was more just so folks know what to look for and they can get them from whichever source they prefer. Usually RockAuto has amazing prices on Performance Tools, especially if you are buying other stuff to spread out the shipping cost. Some brick and mortar stores might have them, too.

BTW, there is a YouTube channel I watch for fun(I don't have rodent issues myself) sometimes called Shawn Woods. The guy tests many different rat and mouse traps, so maybe check out his channel and try some of the traps he recommends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephx1 View Post
Man what a pain this is. Took me a couple hours. I didn’t want to wait for the offset T20 so I cut a T20 bit and put it in a 1/4” wrench. Not ideal but got by. One recommendation is to take out the right side screw first then spin the dampener around so you have better access to the left screw. Same on install.
That works as well, I just don't have anything to cut a bit with, so a dedicated tool is my best bet. Technically, just about anything that's flat enough with a T20 head will do, but there aren't that many tools that will fit. IIRC the tool shouldn't be more than half an inch thick.

And thanks for adding in more tips. Should help others that have this issue.

Past:

Tags
damper, glove box, string