Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-16-2022, 12:35 PM   #1
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Coil over suggestions?

Thinking I want to take the next step as I look to do more road courses down the road. The car gets caged this coming winter.

Current suspension mods:

BMR front & rear sway bars
Koni yellow shocks & struts
BMR trailing arms
BMR toe links
Z/28 springs
BMR sub frame connectors and drive shaft tunnel brace
BMR drive shaft safety loop
BMR rear cradle bushings
R1 Concepts slotted & cross drilled rotors
Goodrich braided brake lines
DOT4 fluid
Forgeline GA3 forged aluminum wheels (20”x9.5” & 20”x11”)

What would your suggestions be and why? Thanks.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 06:57 AM   #2
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Drives: 2011 chevrolet camaro 2ss/rs
I have the Entry level BCracing coilovers from phastek, and I love them. I installed them right out of the box, and haven't looked back since. Very stiff at max adjustment and nice n soft in the lower settings. For $1100 shipped, you can't go wrong. I have had 0 issues with mine to date. They are also a reputable company, and stand behind their product.

Now that I re-read your original question... I can't speak for the durability as far as road course racing goes. I only drive mine on the street, and for that they have been quite reliable.

Mods: Texas Speed 2 inch headers, high flow cats, and X-pipe. Custom mid-pipe, Borla Xr1 mufflers. Torqstorm Supercharger, 3.1" pulley, ZL1 fuel pump. MGW Shifter, Mcleod RST clutch, Tick master cylinder and Tick Billet bushing reinforced slave cylinder. DSS One-piece 3.5" Driveshaft, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, BCRacing Coilovers. BMR Poly Diff bushings, Poly Rear cradle bushings, Sub-frame connectors, Lower control arms, camber arms, and toe links.
The_bald_eagle_machine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 08:47 AM   #3
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Thank you for sharing.

Yes I want something that is fully adjustable and shines in a competitive environment.
Old 08-17-2022, 09:23 AM   #4
Scotty D

Drives: 2014 1le 1SS CRMT
I love my Pedders
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 10:37 AM   #5
bottletalk

Drives: 15 Camaro 2SS M6
afe/pfadt Featherlight's
bottletalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 12:48 PM   #6
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
Yes I want something that is fully adjustable and shines in a competitive environment.
For the competitive side Pfadt/AFE, Olins, or KWs. The only downside to going with "racing" coil overs is that they will at some point need rebuilding which is not cheap, requires sending them back to the manufacturer. I had Pfadts version 1 on mine for a few years, and when they started leaking found out AFE wasn't supporting the original Pfadt version. I decided no more tracking so I went with KW V1s for street use. They do make V3s and Club version more suited for track. Olins are nice but they have an high rebuild cycle depending on how you use them. It's spelled out on their webisite and if I recall just street use they recommended 18K miles for a rebuild. Pedders and some of the cheap ones don't last on the track. My very first coilover was Pedders and they lasted one season tracking before all 4 leaked.
Old 08-17-2022, 01:05 PM   #7
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Thank you!!!!

I’ll have to check out KW.
Old 08-17-2022, 04:12 PM   #8
bottletalk

Drives: 15 Camaro 2SS M6
if your gonna go with something besides pfadt's go with a model that has an external reservoir and offer titanium nitride coating as an option, ti Ni greatly reduces wear on seals.
The new pfadt Featherlight's are gonna be hard to beat plus your not going to have to change your control arms and install adapter plates that fit standard coilover mounts.
bottletalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 10:44 PM   #9
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottletalk View Post
if your gonna go with something besides pfadt's go with a model that has an external reservoir and offer titanium nitride coating as an option, ti Ni greatly reduces wear on seals.
The new pfadt Featherlight's are gonna be hard to beat plus your not going to have to change your control arms and install adapter plates that fit standard coilover mounts.
That’s good to know. Thank you!!!
Old 08-18-2022, 06:29 AM   #10
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
How do you like your Koni Yellows? I lloking for a set Bilstiens but they are hard to get and wonder if they are as good as the Koni's?
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 06:45 AM   #11
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Love the yellows. I got them on here from one of the vendors that was having a sale. Paid like $20 more than the oranges.
Old 08-21-2022, 08:01 AM   #12
Bigdumogre

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
I have the pedders extreme coil overs and love them. Rides great and I am able to hook much better from a launch.
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - CSP Custom Cam 232/240 .615/.615 113 +3, Texas speed CNC heads, FTI billet triple disc converter, K&N cai, Katech ported TB, GPI Ported/rod modded manifold, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, HFC, Flowmaster 2 chambers with x pipe, Mishimoto CC, MSD wires, Roto fab washer relocation, tru cool 40k trans cooler, apex scoop, Pedders extreme coil overs and much more!!
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 06:24 PM   #13
FrankT
400HP used to be enough..

Drives: 2010 2SS rs manual
I have KW Variant 3 and they are not good. I have the fronts adjusted one click from full stiff to keep the strut from bottoming out. The rears are leaking after only 5K miles. Spend your money elsewhere.
Old 10-11-2022, 10:41 PM   #14
bertie

Drives: 2001 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdumogre View Post
I have the pedders extreme coil overs and love them. Rides great and I am able to hook much better from a launch.
Good to hear the Pedders extreme is also recommended here. My friend is looking to get them as we start his Camaro project soon. He has no plans on tracking it. Got to finish installing the suspension and kmc wheels on the truck before we clear the garage and take her in.
bertie is offline   Reply With Quote