Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 08-29-2021, 07:19 AM   #1
WillyZ83

Drives: 18 zl1 garnet red
2021 Camaro SS, seat upgrade options

Good morning everyone, new owner here and looking to upgrade the rather flat cloth seats on my2021 camaro SS.

Looking at options for upgrading these seats, I'm sure I'm not the only one who has considered making improvements to the factory seats in the new SS

I've considered full seat replacement from previous gen camaros but then there is the electrical connection that could and probably is different, the seat track itself too. Has anyone swapped seats from a different year, or with a zl1? Any ideas on which are compatible?

I've considered finding the leather cover from a ZL1 and fitting it over the foam of my current seats and adding foam.(did that with my truck, replaced cloth with Laramie OEM leather and came out great) Anyone have experience with this?

Considered finding recaro full seat replacement but that would be the most expensive option it seems.

I'm hoping for some advice from those who have been down this path and for those like me looking for improvements over factory. Thanks guys
WillyZ83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 07:55 AM   #2
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
If you are mostly interested in visuals and not heating/ventilation, take a gander at https://leatherseats.com. Alternatively, your absolute best option is new or even used Recaro seats indeed, but your wallet would be much better off getting leather seats from someone here who upgrades to Recaros.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 12:06 PM   #3
xmattyx
mattyv

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
My Camaro came with the standard leather from the factory, however I am considering replacing the cloth seats in my Jeep Grand Cherokee using Katzkin Leather. I heard a lot of positive reviews from them. Good luck!
2014 Hyundai Sonata GLS (sold)
2013 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT/RS (sold)
2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T (sold)
2010 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT (sold)
2007 Dodge Charger SRT-8 (sold)
2007 Cadillac CTS (sold)
2005 Chrysler Sebring (sold)
1998 Dodge Avenger (sold)
1992 Mercury Topaz (sold)
xmattyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 03:46 PM   #4
donniedarko

Drives: 2021 LT1 A10 RS
Same, I have cloth in my LT1. Love to update the seats…
donniedarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 04:45 PM   #5
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
The standard seats are butt ugly, whether cloth or leather, because the headrests look like something from a minivan.

The standard Gen5 seats, on the other hand, have headrests shaped like those on the Gen6 Recaro seats. That's what I have now. Those are some good looking seats, with "SS" embroidered in the headrest instead of stupidly glued onto the seat back. What were they thinking?

I would go with Recaro seats for an upgrade.

If I'm ever able to order a Gen6 (after the chip shortage) you can bet it will have Recaro seats!
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 05:02 PM   #6
camex

Drives: Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmattyx View Post
My Camaro came with the standard leather from the factory, however I am considering replacing the cloth seats in my Jeep Grand Cherokee using Katzkin Leather. I heard a lot of positive reviews from them. Good luck!
I replaced my cloth seats to Katzkin leather myself 4 years ago. still look nice with zero issue, highly recommended.
camex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 05:51 PM   #7
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
My 1LT has cloth seats, my route was going to be Katzkin covers off eBay ($650) and having a shop install it (~$350), the other option was OEM used leather seats for around $1-1.5k which are used for a few years and in my case my options were more limited since I didn’t want any SS seats (didn’t want the SS seat emblem, it leaves 3 holes in the seat if you take it off).

Recaro’s are nice for majority I think, cost range is around $2k for a driver/passenger set with airbags intact. I found a guy while on aa road trip selling his Recaro’s for a steal and I took those.

Since you have a 1SS, you’d have to jump a wire on the wiring harness to allow the driver seat to work properly or swap seat harnesses all together with your cloth seats. The passenger seat is plug and play on all models
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 12:15 AM   #8
Staves

Drives: women crazy
Have 13K mi now on my 1SS cloth seats. I was thinking the other day while driving, these are the best seats I've had in probably any car I've owned. They are almost perfect. Not only super comfortable and supportive, cloth never gets really hot so never sweaty.
Old 08-30-2021, 05:50 AM   #9
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
Maybe find a set of 2SS leather seats. They hold you in place but are comfortable. Heated and cooled as well and if you do the recline mod, they will go all the way down as well.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 07:24 AM   #10
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Why didn't you buy a 2SS if that was the goal...? The previous comments give you a good idea of what you have for options, but I will never recommend tearing into a new car for something you could have purchased (that is perfectly fine) from the factory. My opinion.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 09:29 AM   #11
WillyZ83

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
If you are mostly interested in visuals and not heating/ventilation, take a gander at https://leatherseats.com. Alternatively, your absolute best option is new or even used Recaro seats indeed, but your wallet would be much better off getting leather seats from someone here who upgrades to Recaros.
If all my ideas fail or they don't fall in place, I may end up replacing the cloth with leather, and mine don't have vented option. Those are some nice looking seats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
The standard seats are butt ugly, whether cloth or leather, because the headrests look like something from a minivan.

The standard Gen5 seats, on the other hand, have headrests shaped like those on the Gen6 Recaro seats. That's what I have now. Those are some good looking seats, with "SS" embroidered in the headrest instead of stupidly glued onto the seat back. What were they thinking?

I would go with Recaro seats for an upgrade.

If I'm ever able to order a Gen6 (after the chip shortage) you can bet it will have Recaro seats!
Th gen5 seats are what I was leaning towards, depending on what I can find and cost. I'm wondering if the connections to the power would be the same or different, I was hoping to not cut into the harness if possible. Mine seats don't have vented or heated either. The recaros are nice but last I looked they aren't in stock until Decemeber!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmattyx View Post
I've heard great things about katzkin as well, it's still an option for me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedarko View Post
Same, I have cloth in my LT1. Love to update the seats…
stay tuned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by camex View Post
I replaced my cloth seats to Katzkin leather myself 4 years ago. still look nice with zero issue, highly recommended.
Have a pic of how it came out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbleboy92 View Post
My 1LT has cloth seats, my route was going to be Katzkin covers off eBay ($650) and having a shop install it (~$350), the other option was OEM used leather seats for around $1-1.5k which are used for a few years and in my case my options were more limited since I didn’t want any SS seats (didn’t want the SS seat emblem, it leaves 3 holes in the seat if you take it off).

Recaro’s are nice for majority I think, cost range is around $2k for a driver/passenger set with airbags intact. I found a guy while on aa road trip selling his Recaro’s for a steal and I took those.

Since you have a 1SS, you’d have to jump a wire on the wiring harness to allow the driver seat to work properly or swap seat harnesses all together with your cloth seats. The passenger seat is plug and play on all models
swapping seat harnesses sounds like more removal then I was looking to do, sounds like some major carpet and interior removal. But yes, the ebay covers is something I'm also having as an option, I like the previous gen SS seats over my current setup and it's looking like a strong option. hoping I wouldn't have to piggy back off too many wires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staves View Post
Have 13K mi now on my 1SS cloth seats. I was thinking the other day while driving, these are the best seats I've had in probably any car I've owned. They are almost perfect. Not only super comfortable and supportive, cloth never gets really hot so never sweaty.
comfy, yes. My issue is I tend to slide around if I take a corner above the posted speed limit lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceme1117 View Post
Maybe find a set of 2SS leather seats. They hold you in place but are comfortable. Heated and cooled as well and if you do the recline mod, they will go all the way down as well.
The 2ss seats sound not bad, what is the recline mod?
Old 08-30-2021, 09:30 AM   #12
WillyZ83

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
Why didn't you buy a 2SS if that was the goal...? The previous comments give you a good idea of what you have for options, but I will never recommend tearing into a new car for something you could have purchased (that is perfectly fine) from the factory. My opinion.
That is a great question. Honest answer is, I didn't do my research enough and now here I am lol
Old 08-30-2021, 09:45 AM   #13
WillyZ83

If anyone can confirm, I just did a look on youtube and the 2ss seats look like it has the same amount of padding / support as the 1ss? Take a look
Old 08-30-2021, 11:32 AM   #14
Staves

Drives: women crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyZ83 View Post
If anyone can confirm, I just did a look on youtube and the 2ss seats look like it has the same amount of padding / support as the 1ss? Take a look
2SS seats are same as 1SS just covered in leather. You’ll probably slide around more in those than cloth ones. But at least you get GM shit leather, lol. Guess I don’t drive aggressively enough bc I love the cloth seats.