Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 09-19-2022, 05:36 PM   #15
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialPurpose_1LE View Post
and out came the drain valve AND a Heli-Coil thread insert. After inspecting everything that happened, looks like on the first oil change the service tech cross threaded the original drain plug, drilled it out and re-tapped to get a Heli-Coil insert in, THEN cross-threaded the new hole while putting the Heli-Coil in, and to top it off, used the same factory drain plug that was already cross threaded back in the Heli-Coil. Definitely beyond frustrated right now, as the car has been on jack stands this whole weekend as I decide what to do.
Document this, take pictures, write it up and send it to the dealer, return receipt. Do not talk about it over the phone, don't send emails, except in relation to your written correspondence. Essentially, serve them notice of what they did and ask them to fix it within 10 business days.

This is also a good reason to get corporate involved. You don't need connections to do this, you talk to corporate, I've done it.

They didn't just break it and fix it, they broke it and tried to hide it from you. That right there shows they can't be trusted.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 05:47 PM   #16
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
That's gotta be painful to watch! I feel for you!

I know this is off topic but I see you have a CT4-V Blackwing now. How do you like it compared to your previous ZL1? I've been tossing around the idea of getting a used CT4-V Blackwing or CT5-V Blackwing in a couple years to daily and turning the SS 1LE into a weekend/track car.
It is a better all around performance sedan that checks more boxes for me right now.

I owned 2021 ZL1 with the A10 for a little over a year before trading it for the CT4V Blackwing last month. The BW is a manual so much more engaging to drive. I am getting a little older so I find I am starting to appreciate the luxury plus performance the Blackwing offers.

For example, I like the BW visibility and seating position better. The seats are more comfortable, normal trunk opening and four doors if you need to haul the kids around. I also like the improved cluster gauges, Performance steering wheel with V-Mode and PTM buttons. You also get MyMode, Magride 4.0 is noticeably better and the adjustable brake by wire pedal firmness is actually pretty cool. I also appreciate some of the other features we don’t get in the Camaro like rain sensing wipers, front parking sensors and a wireless charging pad in a usable location. The 15 speaker AKG sound system if very good as well. If you want to go crazy on options you can get massaging seats and a bunch of carbon fiber and if you track the car you can get PDR and HUD.

Now the ZL1 is obviously much more visceral and the LT4 just pulls and pulls with the Supercharged V8 soundtrack so when it comes to spirited driving only the ZL1 delivers but to be honest it is over the limit for me and the roads I have access to. In order to enjoy it you have to put your foot in it and triple digits are so effortless in the ZL1, which great but also a bit frustrating. I think if I had the M6 in the ZL1 I would enjoy it more but the gearing is so tall and you can’t really wind them out when you hit 60mph in 1st, 83mph in 2nd and 113mph in 3rd unless you live in the desert somewhere. The 4BW is geared like an SS. Still very quick for the street but more enjoyable gearing ratios IMO. The CT5V-Blackwing is basically a 4 door ZL1. I am sure it is fantastic but they are over $100k, so you lose that performance bang for the buck that the ZL1 offers.

So I really enjoy both, it just depends what your priorities are and what you want most out of the car.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 06:22 PM   #17
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
You need to go back to the dealership and start with the Service Advisor and if you don’t get anywhere then the Service Manager. There’s no excuse for what happened to your Camaro.
Old 09-19-2022, 06:52 PM   #18
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
This is a pretty bizarre story…
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 10:02 PM   #19
2004YZFR1

Drives: 2020 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2SS 1LE
I think as soon as you found a problem the car should have gone right back to the dealer. Now that you have worked on it they will say you did the damage. I wish you luck but I don't think they will fix it now.
2004YZFR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 05:53 AM   #20
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
They shorted me 4 quarts of oil on one of my free oil changes. Long story short I have extended warranty on my engine now. 6 years and 120,000 miles.
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 08:18 AM   #21
Hotwheeltat

Drives: 2020 Camaro SS 1LE
You should have taken it back and not done anything yourself other than inspect it. Mostly they aren't going to do anything for you and it's going to be on you to replace the pan.
Hotwheeltat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 10:23 AM   #22
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
I wouldn't be so quick to say that, the helicoil that came out is a pretty good bit of evidence. Plus whatever foolery was inside of that interface.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 03:15 PM   #23
KLG

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Hello Everyone,

I was doing an oil change on my 2SS 1LE this weekend in preparation for autocross, and came to find a nightmare. To preface, I am a very adamant do-your own service or have a reputable shop do it not only for the cost savings, but the peace of mind knowing that the service is being done right. Now, into what happened...

When I purchased the car in March I was still in college, away from my home-state and the dealer mentioned that I receive 1 free oil change with the purchase of the vehicle. I figured perfect, even though I am against going to dealers for service, I might as well just have them do the first change after break-in at 1000 miles, then perform the rest myself after that. What could really go wrong at the dealer for 1 oil change?

Come to find out I get my car up on jack stands Saturday, and immediately see the underbody of the car dented in 2 places from improper placement of the lift (seems like a common issue amongst dealers, the spots are near the front of the car where there are 2 dimple died holes close to the jacking points). Although I was initially upset, I knew it was a common issue and that it was non-structural damage, so I wasn't too frustrated all things considered. Moving onto the oil change, after removing the drain plug I find that the plug was completely cross threaded in the oil pan. I figured oh well, as long as I can clean up the threads with a tap I should be fine since I was installing a Stahlbus Drain valve. Grabbed a tap to clean up the threads, and went fairly smooth, then went to torque down the Stahlbus to spec and *snap*... drain valve snapped in half, and out came the drain valve AND a Heli-Coil thread insert. After inspecting everything that happened, looks like on the first oil change the service tech cross threaded the original drain plug, drilled it out and re-tapped to get a Heli-Coil insert in, THEN cross-threaded the new hole while putting the Heli-Coil in, and to top it off, used the same factory drain plug that was already cross threaded back in the Heli-Coil. Definitely beyond frustrated right now, as the car has been on jack stands this whole weekend as I decide what to do.

Service tech also must've been the hulk as that is the first time I have ever had to use a breaker bar on a filter wrench to remove an oil filter LOL.
Hey OP, that sounds like a horrible dealership experience for you.

However, just as an FYI regarding the Heli-coil thread insert in your oil pan, I believe that is OEM on the LT1. I just changed the oil in my LT4 and it has thread inserts in both drains. And, if I recall correctly, my Camaro's LT1 has a thread insert in the oil pan as well. The thread inserts make sense to me since these oil pans are aluminum.

Hopefully things will be resolved to your satisfaction.

Regards,

--KLG--
2016 2SS Convertible; SIM; Black & Ceramic White interior; M6; NPP; DD LED side marker lamps & back-up lamps; LED trunk lamps, license plate lamps & front T/S lamps; 3rd brake light pulser; Skip-shift eliminator; Borla s-type non-npp axle backs; Weather-Tech floor mats, trunk mat, rear license plate frame/cover; GM fuel door; ZL1addons rock guards; Removed fender badges, front & rear SS badges; JLT CAI, tune, oil separator; RP Synchromax in transmission; RP MaxGear in rear differential; GM Lowering Suspension Upgrade; Dimple oil filter magnets & magnetic oil drain plug; 3M Ceramic window tint.

Last edited by KLG; 09-23-2022 at 09:52 PM.
KLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 02:19 PM   #24
fj5gtx

Drives: 70 GTX, 06 Mustang, 22 Camaro LT1
Maybe have a look at this product...

https://www.timesert.com/html/drainplug.html

The service system is setup for bad quality, at least it used to be. Mechanics get paid "book" time. If it takes longer, its on them. If they can do it faster, they can go onto the next job. If they work 8 hours and finish 10 hours of book time work, they get paid for the 10 hours.
fj5gtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 02:38 PM   #25
taylorforschool@gmail.com
PKG4U

Drives: 2018 ZL1
That sounds about right.. as someone has said in the past it’s usually always about the Benjamins. Companies almost always willing to do whatever drives the most profit

Mods after Warranty “Imma keep it stock”
taylorforschool@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 03:45 PM   #26
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
I suppose this could happen anywhere, but I'm leaning toward some luxury "yurpean" brand next time around.

GM dealers, even my local family owned one, have declined below anything I thought possible.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 11:37 AM   #27
Bruce2088

Drives: 24 2SS 1LE V8 6M
I just found a helicoil in my NEW 2024 during 1st oil change and just started a new thread titled “ 2024 1LE LT1 Factory helicoil drain plug ? “

Putting this here in case anyone still has notifications on and can share some insight with me.
Bruce2088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 01:05 PM   #28
Rogueleader_92

Drives: Chevy camaro, Chevy cruze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce2088 View Post
I just found a helicoil in my NEW 2024 during 1st oil change and just started a new thread titled “ 2024 1LE LT1 Factory helicoil drain plug ? “

Putting this here in case anyone still has notifications on and can share some insight with me.
I actually just responded to that one.

I came back here to say I've seen others saying they seem have helicoils installed by OEM (you and another post above) so while I'm sure the OP's tech could have cross threaded it I don't think it was done twice.

Blue 2023 Camaro, 3LT, RS.
Rogueleader_92 is offline   Reply With Quote