Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-22-2022, 04:05 PM   #1
Lfuehrersr

Drives: Camaro SS
2016 2SS Convertibles - rear area rattles when top is up?

Do any 2016 2SS convertible owners experience low frequency rattles from the rear of the car when the convertible top is up? They seem to go away when the top is lowered. If so, how did you fix the problem?
Lfuehrersr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 05:23 PM   #2
GXP08jrf

Drives: 2016 1LT 'Vert
Sorry, I can't offer a solution, but you're not alone: My 2016 'vert rattles quite a bit when the top is up. It is not evident when the top is down but I don't know if this is due to the windnoise drowning out the rattle or if it's the differnt loading on the top mechanism itself. So far it hasn't been bothersome enough for me to investigate.

Last edited by GXP08jrf; 09-22-2022 at 06:22 PM.
GXP08jrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 05:50 PM   #3
The Chief (tm)

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS "Convertibobble"
Same here.

In my case it sounds like it comes only from the driver's side. Also, it doesn't happen on every bump or road imperfection, which sorta makes it more noticeable when it does! (Not to mention that, if driven calmly, the car is very solid and quiet indeed, with the top up.)

If it matters, I am almost positive that it does NOT happen when the top is lowered.

I, too, will probably not try to diagnose it, because I can't think of any good way to check on anything unless the top is lowered, partially or fully, and then that's when the sound disappears.

If you discover something though, by all means post it, and maybe within the "Convertibles" sub-forum.
'94 ST1100 146K
The Chief (tm) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 06:21 PM   #4
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Sounds like you guys discovered the owner joys of aging rag tops. It will only get worse as they wear. Every person I know of with an older ragtop convertible has some kind of issue, even if it is not a camaro.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 09:50 PM   #5
KLG

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfuehrersr View Post
Do any 2016 2SS convertible owners experience low frequency rattles from the rear of the car when the convertible top is up? They seem to go away when the top is lowered. If so, how did you fix the problem?
You may be hearing the tonneau cover rubbing against this small bumper. Mine quiets down when I apply a little lubricant between the bumper and the tonneau cover.

In addition, this bumper is adjustable so you could also try slightly raising it or lowering it to see if that helps in additional to the lubricant.

However, I've never adjusted the bumper; I've only lubricated it occasionally.

--KLG--
Attached Images

2016 2SS Convertible; SIM; Black & Ceramic White interior; M6; NPP; DD LED side marker lamps & back-up lamps; LED trunk lamps, license plate lamps & front T/S lamps; 3rd brake light pulser; Skip-shift eliminator; Borla s-type non-npp axle backs; Weather-Tech floor mats, trunk mat, rear license plate frame/cover; GM fuel door; ZL1addons rock guards; Removed fender badges, front & rear SS badges; JLT CAI, tune, oil separator; RP Synchromax in transmission; RP MaxGear in rear differential; GM Lowering Suspension Upgrade; Dimple oil filter magnets & magnetic oil drain plug; 3M Ceramic window tint.

Last edited by KLG; 09-23-2022 at 10:38 PM. Reason: typo
KLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 12:43 AM   #6
lcd550

Drives: '17 2LT/RS 2.0T M6 50th Anniv Vert
I hear the same rattle on my 2017 RS! Thanks for the tip KLG, I'm going to try lubricate the bumper.

BTW, when I first started hearing the rattle, I thought it was due to an issue with my suspension.
lcd550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 10:04 AM   #7
Lfuehrersr

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLG View Post
You may be hearing the tonneau cover rubbing against this small bumper. Mine quiets down when I apply a little lubricant between the bumper and the tonneau cover.

In addition, this bumper is adjustable so you could also try slightly raising it or lowering it to see if that helps in additional to the lubricant.

However, I've never adjusted the bumper; I've only lubricated it occasionally.

--KLG--
Thanks KLG!
Lfuehrersr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
convertible, rattles