Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-15-2022, 03:05 AM   #155
sr71bb

Drives: 2019 Camaro Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
Can you get into details on your diffuser build/install? I have a 5th gen that suffers the same issue with a big dead space and the OEM diffuser acting as a parachute in my opinion.
\\

Actually I just had SERGE at AMP look at this for me and he will be doing this probably NEXT weekend. The plan is to relocate the MAGNAFLOW mufflers HIGHER up closer to the underbody so that a piece can be made out of galvanized sheet metal that will cover the entirety of the cavity from the rear end cross member to the bumper. The BEFORE aero pic is BELOW. You can see where the large cavity is now between the two magnaflow mufflers. This area BEFORE was filled with the SUITCASE style stock muffler. The concept of course is to enclose and flatten this area out so that air will flow smoothly and exit much more easily out the back of the car .

The piece itself will be relatively flat with no bends in it. Thats the plan anyway.

Now if this was a SHOW car, that piece could be made out of stainless steel but since it wont be seen normally anyway, no sense is going nuts about making the underbody show quality (LOL).

The EFFECT of this mod of course is that it SHOULD create more downforce so will see how this works out, it CERTAINLY wont hurt!!!
Attached Images

https://youtu.be/c9M5UHDftcA
4-15-23 at SCCA TT U1 Class

MEGA Thread on THIS car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602092

Retired Cars BELOW:
1973 Camaro, 1969 Camaro, 1969 Camaro SS RS
2010 Camaro SS with 1000HP F1R, 2019 ZL1 1LE A10

Last edited by sr71bb; 09-20-2022 at 07:31 AM.
sr71bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 06:57 AM   #156
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Diffuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71bb View Post
\\

Actually I just had SERGE at AMP look at this for me and he will be doing this probably NEXT weekend. The plan is to relocate the MAGNAFLOW mufflers HIGHER up closer to the underbody so that a piece can be made out or galvanized sheet metal that will cover the entirety of the cavity from the rear end cross member to the bumper.

The piece itself will be relatively flat with no bends in it. Thats the plan anyway.

Now if this was a SHOW car, that piece could be made out of stainless steel but since it wont be seen normally anyway, no sense is going nuts about making the underbody show quality (LOL).

The EFFECT of this mod of course is that it SHOULD create more downforce so will see how this works out, it CERTAINLY wont hurt!!!

Im thinking making mine out of Aluminum with some kind of strakes as well.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 10:11 AM   #157
sr71bb

More info REAR AERO underbody

Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
Im thinking making mine out of Aluminum with some kind of strakes as well.
Yeah the strakes SERGE told me will be attached to the main piece after he is happy with the fitment of the main piece. He plans to make where it is removable with fasteners. I asked about if there might be some heat issues with the exhaust since you are basically boxing in the magnaflow mufflers but that apparently will not be a issue.

MEGA Thread on THIS car:

Retired Cars BELOW:
Old 09-15-2022, 10:32 AM   #158
sr71bb

BRAKE FAILURE at TRACK

Well at the track yesterday I had a brake failure basically due to my own stupidity so I will share it with you guys so that you can avoid the mistake I made.

I was going 100+ approaching a corner and when I applied the brakes I had NO PEDAL pressure whatsoever. I went off and basically kept the car as straight as posssible so that it wouldnt dig into the dirt and grass sideways. As long a you arent approaching a barrier of some sort it is always best to NOT try and steer the car which might possibly cause one of the tires to dig in and throw it sideways and make it violently change directions.

Anyhow upon inspection AFTER the incident, I had found that the passenger side brake line has come loose. If you look at a post earlier in this thread you will see that I had powdercoated the front calipers. So basically I had removed the brake lines of course at that time to take the caliper assembly off.

Now, where the mistake was made was when I reinstalled the calipers I DID NOT check the position of the brake lines to see if there was enough slack in the lines when the car was steered full left or full right.

So over a period of time, the brake line got loose because it was pulling against the line because there was not enough slack at the full right position. This eventually loosened the line enough where it lost brake pressure on the right caliper entirely.

THERE you have it. A self induced incident. I remember repositioning the brake line to get better access to the caliper 18MM bolts but I forgot to put the line back in its original position. Also remember there is a crush washer on either side of the brake line eyelet (7/16" bolt). If you dont install these properly the line will leak.

MEGA Thread on THIS car:

Retired Cars BELOW:
Old 09-15-2022, 11:01 AM   #159
Osbornsm

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Well at the track yesterday I had a brake failure basically due to my own stupidity so I will share it with you guys so that you can avoid the mistake I made.

I was going 100+ approaching a corner and when I applied the brakes I had NO PEDAL pressure whatsoever. I went off and basically kept the car as straight as posssible so that it wouldnt dig into the dirt and grass sideways. As long a you arent approaching a barrier of some sort it is always best to NOT try and steer the car which might possibly cause one of the tires to dig in and throw it sideways and make it violently change directions.

Anyhow upon inspection AFTER the incident, I had found that the passenger side brake line has come loose. If you look at a post earlier in this thread you will see that I had powdercoated the front calipers. So basically I had removed the brake lines of course at that time to take the caliper assembly off.

Now, where the mistake was made was when I reinstalled the calipers I DID NOT check the position of the brake lines to see if there was enough slack in the lines when the car was steered full left or full right.

So over a period of time, the brake line got loose because it was pulling against the line because there was not enough slack at the full right position. This eventually loosened the line enough where it lost brake pressure on the right caliper entirely.

THERE you have it. A self induced incident. I remember repositioning the brake line to get better access to the caliper 18MM bolts but I forgot to put the line back in its original position. Also remember there is a crush washer on either side of the brake line eyelet (7/16" bolt). If you dont install these properly the line will leak.

Holy crap and glad you're here to type it

Mods: Rotofab, Nick Williams 103mm TB, MSD IM, Kooks 1 7/8
Results: 470 hp / 447 tq
Osbornsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 11:48 AM   #160
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:

Wow, scary! Thanks for sharing with the community. Glad you and the car made it out alright.
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 08:02 PM   #161
sr71bb

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAir02 View Post
Wow, scary! Thanks for sharing with the community. Glad you and the car made it out alright.
Yeah THANKS!! Anyway I have posted some additional info on the brake line situation HERE in the BRAKES section with PICS:

LOOK BELOW in POST 8 in the following thread link

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...8#post11229888

MEGA Thread on THIS car:

Retired Cars BELOW:

Last edited by sr71bb; 09-16-2022 at 10:44 PM.
Old 09-16-2022, 10:25 PM   #162
sr71bb

SPARCO QRT has ARRIVED

OK guys. The SPARCO QRT seat I ordered has arrived and I will be mounting it this weekend. The seat is a leather alcantara combination and is VERY high quality. The PICS are below . They DO HAVE a carbon fiber version of this seat as well but I opted NOT to get that since when installed you cant really see the carbon fiber anyway since it mainly is visible from the BACK of the seat.

I forgot to order the harware kit so I will get that from the local ACE hardware store (LOL). I DID order the side mount brackets and I will attach the seat to my planted technology seat bracket with CLASS 8 bolts.

I WILL NOT use a slider on the seat because that would NOT be FIA certified. You may be tempted to pull the FIA sticker OFF the seat but if you do that and you have to run a certified FIA seat then you are screwed. Also notice that the seat FIA certification is only good for FIVE years.
Attached Images

MEGA Thread on THIS car:

Retired Cars BELOW:

Last edited by sr71bb; 09-16-2022 at 10:41 PM.
Old 09-18-2022, 02:26 AM   #163
sr71bb

Sparco Seat Installed today

OK well I installed SPARCO QRT seat last night using planted technology seat brackets and side mount brackets, PICS are below. The SEAT weighed only 20 pounds by itself. The CARBON fiber version weighs only 10 pounds. When I ordered this seat I DID NOT get the seat mounting hardware kit mainly because I THOUGHT that a set of side mounting seat brackets would come with mounting bolts , RIGHT??? Well, they DO NOT. Get the hardware mounting kit It will save you a trip to the hardware store (LOL). I already had FOUR Class 8 bolts with NYLOCK nuts that I had previously used to mount the original POS track seat I had so I was good to go there.

https://competitionmotorsport.com/co...43205359993051

The planted technology seat bracket and side mount brackets weigh 15 pounds together (SEE PIC). The last pic is of seat installed in car. A STOCK SS 2S seat weighs roughly 55 pounds. Basically then the sparco seat is 20 pounds LIGHTER than stock seat.

I am going to make a minor adjustment in that I will move the seat about a inch or so CLOSER to the door side to allow a little better access to the seat buckle. Right now it is a bit of a pain in the ass to get to.

Install tip, you need to install the seat brackets BEFORE you install the seat. The reason for this is that the planted technology bracket has to be installed in the slots in the floor and that initially is done at about a 45 degree angle and the pushed forward to lock down in place PRIOR to attaching the BACK of the bracket to the floor with the T50 TORX bolts.. If the SEAT is already installed on the brackets the you CANT get the 45 degree angle you need to STAB in the FRONT of the bracket into the floor. When I attached the SPARCO seat to the planted technology seat brackets I had to drill ONE hole for one of the four Class 8 bolts that I used to attach the seat to the planted technology bracket. THREE of the holes in side mount brackets that you attach to the sides of the seat lined up with some exiting holes already provided in the planted technology bracket.

You can adjust the angle of the seat by using the different holes in the side mount brackets. Look at the pic below of the side mount bracket as I currently have it installed. Since I would like for the back of the seat to be a little more UPRIGHT I will move the bolt to the BOTTOM hole on the bracket on the RIGHT side of the bracket which of course will move the BACK of the seat up.

Also I have ordered a buckle extender like this:
https://www.cesdeals.com/products/2p...hoCMl8QAvD_BwE

Because this seat has taller sides than a stock seat, the buckle position located on the console side of the seat is a bit too LOW to get really good access to it. The extender ABOVE will eliminate that issue. One of the pics below show the CURRENT position of the seat buckle which is currently is in a little bit of a hide-n-seek position.

Note that you have to compromise a bit if you DO NOT use seat sliders because NORMALLY your seat will be somewhat closer to the steering wheel in a TRACK racing situation VS. a normal driving position for daily driving. A good track position for instance dictates that your wrists be at or beyond top of the steering wheel when you extend your arms straight forward. Also if you get the seat TOO close to the steering wheel then you restrict your entry into the car. The BACK of the seat normally is a little more upright in a track racing situation as well. All that being said, entry access at the position I CURRENTLY have the seat is pretty good. Any closer to the steering wheel and that starts to become an issue in my opinion.
Attached Images

MEGA Thread on THIS car:

Retired Cars BELOW:

Last edited by sr71bb; 09-19-2022 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-19-2022, 08:19 PM   #164
sr71bb

FINAL install position of SPARCO seat

OK guys make a few adjustments. Notice on the pics I have used the NEXT to the bottom slot on the left had side of bracket on the side mount brackets for the attachment position and the MIDDLE position for the bolt for the attachment position for the back bolt.

This made it a little easier on ENTRY and also brought the back of the seat into a little more upright position.

The last picture shows the relative position of the seat to the steering wheel.

My feedback on this seat is it is NOT for anyone that has a waist size larger than 34-35 inches or weighs much more than 200 pounds. MY son is a body builder and weighs 235 with a HUGE back so he looked like a hippopotumus riding a bicycle seat (LOL).

It is SNUG on me at 195 pounds and 5'11" and 35 inch waist but you want that on a track seat. More feedback I will post up AFTER I race with it.
Attached Images

MEGA Thread on THIS car:

Retired Cars BELOW:

Last edited by sr71bb; 09-19-2022 at 08:43 PM.
Old 09-20-2022, 10:56 AM   #165
sr71bb

Alignment Specs NEW setup

Took my car back to DOGHOUSE for TWO reasons. One I went off HARD on track day and the car felt out of alignment after that especially coming from the RIGHT rear. Come to find out that the TOE was messed up pretty badly on that wheel.

While we were at it, we decided to go with a little more aggressive alignment settings. We dialed in MORE TOE IN on rear of car and also dialed in more negative camber on REAR.

Below are the CURRENT settings. I also am running now 40 pounds of pressure on my STREET MS 4S tires with this setup as well.
Attached Images

MEGA Thread on THIS car:

Retired Cars BELOW:
Old 09-20-2022, 11:01 AM   #166
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
yup i have same seat im 6ft tall 200lbs 32" waist and i fit perfectly but sitting so low to the ground took a bit of time to get used to. what harness are you going to use and going to change out passenger seat also or?
Old 09-20-2022, 11:14 AM   #167
sr71bb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
yup i have same seat im 6ft tall 200lbs 32" waist and i fit perfectly but sitting so low to the ground took a bit of time to get used to. what harness are you going to use and going to change out passenger seat also or?
Well KROPS, I am going to change out the passenger seat as soon as I confirm this seat will work well for me on the track. On the passenger side though I will get a slider so that I can move the seat backwards and forwards to get better access to the back seat at least temporarily until the roll bar goes in eventually.

I would like to get a 5 point or 6 point harness setup with ALL BLACK belts (no markings). What would you suggest??

MEGA Thread on THIS car:

Retired Cars BELOW:
Old 09-20-2022, 11:21 AM   #168
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i have the brey krause bracket and side mount with recaro slider never changed out my passenger seat my gf doesnt want it and i dont ever have passengers and for harness i have the sparco 6 point one but you can do whatver one you want just make sure its sfi approved

but 99% sure most of them have logos sparco braum cobra scrothe etc...

this is where i got alot of my safety gear from shoes gloves harness etc

https://www.ogracing.com/

https://www.ogracing.com/collections...rnesses-racing