Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

AWE Tuning

Old 07-18-2022, 04:35 PM   #1
Camaro1LT19

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LT
Cool Corvette Wheels on Camaro

Hello, I am wondering whether i’ll be able to fit 12” wide rear tires on my 6th gen Camaro 1LT. I’ve been looking for wheels recently and came across a set of C6 Corvette Spyder wheels. The fronts are 9.5 inch wide but the rears are 12 inches wide with 325 wide tires. I am aware that the ZL1 1LE has similar wheel specs on the rear, but I am wondering whether the trim level makes any difference. If anyone could help me out that would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Camaro1LT19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 04:47 PM   #2
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro1LT19 View Post
Hello, I am wondering whether i’ll be able to fit 12” wide rear tires on my 6th gen Camaro 1LT. I’ve been looking for wheels recently and came across a set of C6 Corvette Spyder wheels. The fronts are 9.5 inch wide but the rears are 12 inches wide with 325 wide tires. I am aware that the ZL1 1LE has similar wheel specs on the rear, but I am wondering whether the trim level makes any difference. If anyone could help me out that would be much appreciated. Thank you.
I'm 99% sure they are different bolt patterns and will not be compatible...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 05:20 PM   #3
Camaro1LT19

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LT
they’re both 5x120 so i don’t see any reason the bolt pattern wouldn’t work. unless there’s some other difference that i’m not aware of.
Camaro1LT19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 05:23 PM   #4
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
they’re both 5x120 so i don’t see any reason the bolt pattern wouldn’t work. unless there’s some other difference that i’m not aware of.
There was another thread on here not long ago asking the same thing and there was a bunch of info about the bolt patterns not matching up...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 05:27 PM   #5
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Check the bolt pattern and offset on the Corvette wheels. Corvette wheels tend to have a larger offset than Camaro wheels and will probably not fit without spacers. There are numerous threads about wheel fitment in the Wheel and Tire section that will help you find new wheels for your Camaro.
Mark114 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 05:52 PM   #6
Osbornsm

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
Check the bolt pattern and offset on the Corvette wheels. Corvette wheels tend to have a larger offset than Camaro wheels and will probably not fit without spacers. There are numerous threads about wheel fitment in the Wheel and Tire section that will help you find new wheels for your Camaro.
It will NOT fit.

Offset is wrong

Mods: Rotofab, Nick Williams 103mm TB, MSD IM, Kooks 1 7/8
Results: 470 hp / 447 tq
Osbornsm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 06:25 PM   #7
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Yep offset is different on a C6 Corvette.
Old 07-19-2022, 07:40 AM   #8
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
If they are off a C8 then the bolt patterns are the same. But no C8 has been released yet with 12" rears. So if these are off any earlier generation Corvette, they have 5x120.65mm (5x4-3/4") bolt patterns vs the Camaro's 5x120mm. They are close but not the same will not fit properly. I'm sure they'll also have way too much offset, but that could be dealt with using spacers. However, the bolt pattern would make it a hard nope regardless of offset.
Old 07-19-2022, 08:33 AM   #9
LTfun

Drives: 2022 LT1, 1981 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
If they are off a C8 then the bolt patterns are the same. But no C8 has been released yet with 12" rears. So if these are off any earlier generation Corvette, they have 5x120.65mm (5x4-3/4") bolt patterns vs the Camaro's 5x120mm. They are close but not the same will not fit properly. I'm sure they'll also have way too much offset, but that could be dealt with using spacers. However, the bolt pattern would make it a hard nope regardless of offset.
Hi MSquared, I know you have a lot of technical knowledge pertaining to the subject so I'm surprised to hear you say this. You think the .65/5=.13mm or 5 thou off center would matter? I would think it's well within the allowable tolerance and have heard of many people running these without issues, no wobble bolts needed.

With that said, to the OP, the corvette wheels typically have a very high offset and I doubt most would fit (maybe the fronts as a square setup but again would probably throw your scrub radius off). I certainly wouldn't want to. Typically the corvettes hide a lot of the wheel behind the hub (towards the center) and use a very flat faced wheel. I prefer a little concavity fwiw.

Last edited by LTfun; 07-19-2022 at 01:27 PM.
LTfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 03:13 PM   #10
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
That an the wheels are hub centric an I beleive the hubs on Vettes are bigger than the hubs on a Camaro.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 06:02 PM   #11
Msquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTfun View Post
Hi MSquared, I know you have a lot of technical knowledge pertaining to the subject so I'm surprised to hear you say this. You think the .65/5=.13mm or 5 thou off center would matter? I would think it's well within the allowable tolerance and have heard of many people running these without issues, no wobble bolts needed
It's not 0.65mm/5. In the very best of circumstances, it's 0.65mm/2 because the bolt pattern is a diameter and it could be split into radiuses. However, the reality would be that the first lug nut you torque down would locate the wheel perfectly on it, and then the lug nuts most opposite of that would have the full 0.65mm mismatch. So the difference is 0.65mm or 25/1000ths of an inch. And yes, I guarantee it matters. Try bending a wheel stud 0.65mm at a distance 1/2" past the hub flange mounting surface and tell me how much force that takes. It will be pretty epic. More likely, you'll end up wallowing out the tapered lug nut seats in the wheels in unequal amounts, so your wheel won't be centered and won't be located the same way twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75
That an the wheels are hub centric an I beleive the hubs on Vettes are bigger than the hubs on a Camaro.
No wheels are really located by the hubs. They are always located by the tapered lug nuts and the receiving seats on the wheels, and held there with the friction from the clamping force between the mounting surfaces of the hub and wheel. Since the pilot bore of the Corvettes are bigger than the Camaro's, that won't hurt anything. However, because the hub bolt pattern doesn't match the wheel's bolt pattern, the wheels won't be properly located.

With that said, to the OP, the corvette wheels typically have a very high offset and I doubt most would fit (maybe the fronts as a square setup but again would probably throw your scrub radius off). I certainly wouldn't want to. Typically the corvettes hide a lot of the wheel behind the hub (towards the center) and use a very flat faced wheel. I prefer a little concavity fwiw.[/QUOTE]
Old 07-22-2022, 08:28 AM   #12
LTfun

Quote:
It's not 0.65mm/5. In the very best of circumstances, it's 0.65mm/2 because the bolt pattern is a diameter and it could be split into radiuses. However, the reality would be that the first lug nut you torque down would locate the wheel perfectly on it, and then the lug nuts most opposite of that would have the full 0.65mm mismatch. So the difference is 0.65mm or 25/1000ths of an inch. And yes, I guarantee it matters. Try bending a wheel stud 0.65mm at a distance 1/2" past the hub flange mounting surface and tell me how much force that takes. It will be pretty epic. More likely, you'll end up wallowing out the tapered lug nut seats in the wheels in unequal amounts, so your wheel won't be centered and won't be located the same way twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75
No wheels are really located by the hubs. They are always located by the tapered lug nuts and the receiving seats on the wheels, and held there with the friction from the clamping force between the mounting surfaces of the hub and wheel. Since the pilot bore of the Corvettes are bigger than the Camaro's, that won't hurt anything. However, because the hub bolt pattern doesn't match the wheel's bolt pattern, the wheels won't be properly located.

With that said, to the OP, the corvette wheels typically have a very high offset and I doubt most would fit (maybe the fronts as a square setup but again would probably throw your scrub radius off). I certainly wouldn't want to. Typically the corvettes hide a lot of the wheel behind the hub (towards the center) and use a very flat faced wheel. I prefer a little concavity fwiw.

Yeah you're right its divided by 2 not 5, which on paper is 12 thou. There is some added clearance though, not sure what they spec. I've heard of many people doing this without issue. I would think it comes down to installation - if it's evenly torqued, alternating often, I don't think it would be close to the full .65mm, I get what you are saying though.
Old 07-22-2022, 09:29 AM   #13
Msquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTfun View Post
Yeah you're right its divided by 2 not 5, which on paper is 12 thou. There is some added clearance though, not sure what they spec. I've heard of many people doing this without issue. I would think it comes down to installation - if it's evenly torqued, alternating often, I don't think it would be close to the full .65mm, I get what you are saying though.
By design there is zero clearance with a tapered lug nut and seat. That's what locates the wheels, and they are torqued to a literal interference fit. At best, this ensures that every stud is being bent .012" when the wheel's installed. In practice, it means that the stud for whichever nut you tighten first is probably not bent at all, because the wheel locates primarily on that stud, and then all the others are closer to the full .025" bending.

That's for the first time you install the wheels. After that, what probably happens in that you wallow out the seats in aluminum wheels and then you have clearance. However, that isn't a good thing because it means you have minimal contact at the taper and then the nuts don't have the same force keeping them tight. It also means the wheel is located as much as .012" off center.
Old 07-22-2022, 09:41 AM   #14
LTfun

Quote:
By design there is zero clearance with a tapered lug nut and seat. That's what locates the wheels, and they are torqued to a literal interference fit. At best, this ensures that every stud is being bent .012" when the wheel's installed. In practice, it means that the stud for whichever nut you tighten first is probably not bent at all, because the wheel locates primarily on that stud, and then all the others are closer to the full .025" bending.

That's for the first time you install the wheels. After that, what probably happens in that you wallow out the seats in aluminum wheels and then you have clearance. However, that isn't a good thing because it means you have minimal contact at the taper and then the nuts don't have the same force keeping them tight. It also means the wheel is located as much as .012" off center.
Man I need to finish my morning coffee (insert excuses here). Yeah I mean there's clearance in the hole, like a good amount, but it's going to locate to the taper, not the clearance I was thinking of. I'm surprised more people haven't noticed an issue. I've never done it but I know tons of people who have done it without issue, guess I will continue to not do it. Maybe they use wobble bolts, another thing I have never tried.

Tags
general discussion, wheel advice, wheel clearance, wheels and tires, wheels for 6th gen camaro