#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-22-2022, 02:16 PM   #71
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBones81 View Post
Nice. Looks like we've had similar cars! The model 3 performance should be a fantastic commuter for my wife. It's hard to believe how quick it is (0-60 in 3.1), but it's pretty boring otherwise. It's so hard to drive a silent car after having so many awesome sounding ones over the years. I think I mentioned before, but I also had a c7 Grand Sport. I sold it when the market was super hot. I never really bonded with that car. I think the mistake was getting the automatic in it. I loved the way it looked, but driving it wasn't great. Hoping the manual zl1 will be much more engaging and exciting.
Indeed. My Grand Sport was Vert with an M7. It was a fun car but I kind of regretted not getting a Z06 at the time. My wife got a Tesla and I was hooked on the instant torque so I traded it. If I had a Z06 I probably would not have but Tesla was offering top dollar for trades back in 2019 so I got the Tesla. It is the stoplight king for sure. Only the new C8 vette with a good launch could hang with it until about 70mph. On the flip side once over 60mph the Tesla does not pull as hard and most high powered ICE vehicles easily pull away. This explains why the Tesla with goes 0-60mph in 3.1 but crosses the 1/4 mile at 11.6 at 115mph.

When it came to the ZL1 I went with the A10 since there were very few M6s available in the country, especially selling at MSRP. I am been very happy with the A10, it is still pretty engaging and with all these gears it is able to keep the LT4 boost sweet spot. You can't go wrong with either transmission in the ZL1 but I think you made the right choice if you want the most engagement.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 02:27 PM   #72
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANK121 View Post
For me I bought the ZL1 and wanting that muscle car sound. It did not have that with the stock exhaust. The axle back I purchased sounds awesome, looks fantastic and has zero highway drone. I added the Rotofab CAI to get rid of that ugly air box and increase the Superchager whine. Now the car sounds like I wanted and runs a little better!
Perfect man. I will do the same as soon as my ZL1 arrives next year too. Then eventually headers, then finally a cam.
Old 06-22-2022, 02:36 PM   #73
MartinLe

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritedAway View Post
Curious about why the heck some (a ton apparently) people modify their ZL1s for even more power/louder exhausts.

Like, who says 650hp is not enough 😂?

I’ve modified slower cars before so I get it, but I struggle to hold onto the steering wheel while WOT + changing gears lol.

It’s pretty dang loud stock, but I also drive a ‘Vert so it’s more raw for me probably. Interested in seeing people’s responses
IMO, that is an excellent question! I have sat here asking myself why I did it. For me it is a multi-layered answer. I think first and foremost, the raw power of the car is intoxicating. Flooring the car in second gear, the sound of the motor hammering between your ears, the flood of adrenalin squeezing your heart all while the car is walking a little bit this way and a little bit that way - for me, it's fun.

A close second is the thrill of having some kid in an STi or a Hellcat pull next to me on the freeway asking me if I want to play. I downshift into second and wait for him to pull the lever to the noose he has placed around his neck. Then it's Bang! Bang! and it's over. I slip my car back into cruise control and continue on my way at 72 mph. I smile as he flies by me and I wonder what is going through his mind.

The third reason is quite juvenile. I admit that being told, "That f****** car is sick!" feeds my ego.

The fourth reason is, like an earlier post stated, because I can. However, it is not so simple as the person who compared it to a dog "licking his balls." That sounded to me like disparagingly jealous, thoughtless answer, to a very good question. Some of us like to push the envelope to be a little better and stronger today than we were yesterday. The answer, "because we can", maybe, could be restated as, "it's just our nature".

And lastly, in response to the comment "that there is always somebody faster." When I do get beat, I will not have embarrassed myself. If we were to stop and talk about the race, I feel quite certain that the driver of the other car will still tell me, "Nice car." And mean it.
DSX Flex fuel/Low side
NW 103mm TB/Roto-Fab CAI
Monster S Series
Elite E2-X
2" TSP LT's
BMR:BK063, BK060,TCA061, UTCA060, UTCA063
Weld Beadlocks/17" NT5R2
MartinLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 02:59 PM   #74
TexasRed5.9

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
Same reason why a dog licks its balls.
There's a big difference between modding cars and attempting to lick your nutz. I don't fall off the couch and hurt my neck when I'm modding cars!
Old 06-22-2022, 03:32 PM   #75
JBones81

Drives: 22 ZL1, 18 RS3, 22 M3P
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFS197 View Post
JBones, you and I seem to have a very similar car lineup over time. I had a 2016 2SS A8, 2018 SS 1LE, and a 2019 C7 Z06. I now have a built TT RS and my wifes RS3 is getting the same build. They are shockingly quick for minimal amount of mods. The only real short coming with these engines is the stock rods and pistons. Once you get past that, you can make them fly.

After having a modified C7 Z06, Charger Hellcat Redeye, and now my ZL1 1LE, I'm really disinterested in trying to pursue power on a front-engine, rear-wheel-drive vehicle when we have our Audi's at our disposal. Their ability to put power down and be drivable in all kinds of weather conditions makes them a hell of a treat to drive. Although admittedly, they don't handle nearly as well as the Alpha chassis out of the box, they can be made to handle exceptionally well. Audi seems to have purposely put copious amounts of understeer into that car that can be quickly remedied with a proper alignment--not C8 kind of alignment but, still.

For the ZL1 1LE, it'll just be seat time and rowing around in a more analog vehicle. Driving pleasure, per se. The only time I'll ever really take it seriously is on a twisty piece of road or a track where my Audi's can't use their power. My wife's RS3 hangs on my bumper like white on rice. Her RS3 has JRI coilovers and ground control plates. I only slightly pull on her on the very top end and she's just got a couple of bolt ons w/ 93 octane. She's ran an 11.01 @ 125 with hardly any mods and can do that consistently on the street. My TT RS, with a boost leak and some sketchy injectors did a 10.8 @ 127 with the same mods when it was still just bolt ons with 93.
Very nice! Yea, it's a great time to be a car guy (or gal), given how many varying options we have for speed and handling right now. The RS3 is lethal on the streets against other ICE cars, in real world conditions, because traction is never an issue and the transmission is so quick. When you take it into more serious settings, like drag racing and auto-cross, etc, then obviously you run into many other cars that are purpose-built and able to hang/win.

Teslas are changing the game when it comes to stoplight runs. The performance models (and now even the non Plaid version of the Tesla Model S does 0-60 in 2.4!) are almost untouchable at lower speeds. Basically, I treat them like I've treated sport bikes over the years. I'll mess around with them if they're game, but I don't feel bad if/when I lose

Also, remember that I'm living in Norcal, right between San Francisco and the Silicon Valley, so Teslas are EVERYWHERE. The other day I made the trip to the Safeway which is 3 miles from my door, and I counted 14 Teslas along the way. Knowing that there are suddenly tons of soccer moms and random dads out there who could smoke my ICE cars makes me much less enthusiastic about having a "fast" car. The goals have shifted. I just want something that puts a smile on my face when I get on it, and also looks and sounds so much better than the electric cars. That's where I'm at now in my middle age - I'm getting over the street racing stuff and just appreciating all these awesome cars out there that are available for us to enjoy. I love seeing ZL1s, hellcats, trackhawks, shelby mustangs, C8s, M4s, RS models...they're all cool in different ways - you just have to pick one or two and enjoy all that it has to offer.
Instagram - @JBsCars
JBones81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 03:42 PM   #76
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRed5.9 View Post
There's a big difference between modding cars and attempting to lick your nutz. I don't fall off the couch and hurt my neck when I'm modding cars!
Old 06-22-2022, 05:48 PM   #77
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRed5.9 View Post
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 07:09 PM   #78
Chrome383Z

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
I think electric cars will actually help the road course scene. I did the drag racing thing 20 years ago in my early 20s. Drag racing has kind of lost its appeal when an electric family car will wipe the floor with you at least in the 0-60.

However they aren’t as competitive at high speeds and turning. I think you’ll see more ICE guys move into that arena. Maybe….

60-130 favors ICE, 0-60 AWD EV. They really shine in different areas.
Old 06-23-2022, 08:02 AM   #79
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFS197 View Post
JBones, you and I seem to have a very similar car lineup over time. I had a 2016 2SS A8, 2018 SS 1LE, and a 2019 C7 Z06. I now have a built TT RS and my wifes RS3 is getting the same build. They are shockingly quick for minimal amount of mods. The only real short coming with these engines is the stock rods and pistons. Once you get past that, you can make them fly.
You must be a pilot to afford all the toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBones81 View Post
Teslas are changing the game when it comes to stoplight runs. The performance models (and now even the non Plaid version of the Tesla Model S does 0-60 in 2.4!) are almost untouchable at lower speeds. Basically, I treat them like I've treated sport bikes over the years. I'll mess around with them if they're game, but I don't feel bad if/when I lose

Also, remember that I'm living in Norcal, right between San Francisco and the Silicon Valley, so Teslas are EVERYWHERE. The other day I made the trip to the Safeway which is 3 miles from my door, and I counted 14 Teslas along the way. Knowing that there are suddenly tons of soccer moms and random dads out there who could smoke my ICE cars makes me much less enthusiastic about having a "fast" car. The goals have shifted. I just want something that puts a smile on my face when I get on it, and also looks and sounds so much better than the electric cars.
The e cars are worthless on a mountain road or roadcourse though, and attract low skill drivers. With lightweight batteries they will get there someday, just not for me. Any moron can mash the pedal from a stoplight, it means nothing

Put them on a ZX-10R, let's see what happens

RS-3s are intriguing but again seems like a car you need to live near an engine builder
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 09:23 AM   #80
zx9rmal

Drives: '20 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post
Guys like you and me are spoiled. Riding a 10R, or in my case a 14R, makes everything else not quite as exciting.
'22 Kawasaki ZX-14R
zx9rmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 12:26 PM   #81
ZX-10R

Driving (for some) is more than just mashing the go pedal from a stoplight or posting a youtube video of your Tesla Plaid beating Hellcats. That cotton candy fluff is fun in your 20s and 30s, but the 13,000 rpm shriek of a Gen 1 ZX-10R on a lonely mountain road as the sun goes down with no computer nannies just your own skill - that's timeless and won't be replaced by batteries. Doesn't suit middle aged fat guys with a paunch. No need to brag about money or my toy collection either.
Old 06-23-2022, 12:34 PM   #82
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post
You must be a pilot to afford all the toys

The e cars are worthless on a mountain road or roadcourse though, and attract low skill drivers. With lightweight batteries they will get there someday, just not for me. Any moron can mash the pedal from a stoplight, it means nothing

RS-3s are intriguing but again seems like a car you need to live near an engine builder
The Model S Plaid has a track mode now and can pull 1.08g on the skidpad. Its no slouch and they will only get better as the weight comes down. The upcoming Tesla Roadster will certainly be much better.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 04:15 PM   #83
ZX-10R

Roadster looks cool if you have the $$. E cars are not very engaging to drive overall though (at least the current bunch), don't know anyone with a Taycan
Old 06-23-2022, 04:23 PM   #84
AZ_1LE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
I'm more interested in why people modify cars like Prius', PT Cruisers, etc, hahahhah
AZ_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote