Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-02-2022, 04:19 PM   #15
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Bluezl1 View Post
I ran a group by for the CMS cage which is top notch only issue is the harness doest go straight back. The rear seat delete I made personally and still have the template which I was planning to sell. I'm in north jersey Passaic country where are you?
Great. Thanks for the info and sorry I missed that group buy!

I'm in North/Central Jersey -- Union County. We should link up for an HPDE event. I'm doing Watkins Glen with PCA NNJR in August and again in October with Hooked on Driving. Might add some other events this summer too. I was at the Glen in May with PCA Potomac and was at Thunderbolt this past weekend with PCA NNJR.
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 06:41 PM   #16
20Bluezl1

Drives: 2020 Zl1 A10 Riverside Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAir02 View Post

I'm in North/Central Jersey -- Union County. We should link up for an HPDE event. I'm doing Watkins Glen with PCA NNJR in August and again in October with Hooked on Driving. Might add some other events this summer too. I was at the Glen in May with PCA Potomac and was at Thunderbolt this past weekend with PCA NNJR.
We definitely should meet up, I'll take a look at Glen in August I was at Palmer last weekend and it was great.
20Bluezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 06:46 PM   #17
20Bluezl1

Drives: 2020 Zl1 A10 Riverside Blue
Quote:

Is it the event Aug 26-28? It says it not open for registration yet
Attached Images

20Bluezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 06:55 PM   #18
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Bluezl1 View Post
Is it the event Aug 26-28? It says it not open for registration yet
Yes. I have a reminder in my calendar to sign up once registration opens. Hooked on Driving events you can register for now, but PCA opens ~2 months prior to the event
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
Old 06-04-2022, 12:24 PM   #19
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian1LE View Post
Excuse my ignorance here, but what is the point of a HANS device if you have an airbag? The airbag will stop your head from snapping forward, isn't that the entire point of these devices? I don't see a point in getting one unless you remove the airbag.

Just trying to figure out why I am wrong(and I know I probably am).

*Edit, now thinking more about it I guess if you have a 4 point harness the airbag might not stop your head from going forward depending on your distance from the wheel since you're pinned to the seat. Where a regular seat belt would allow you to move forward more.

The HANS device stops lateral movement also nnot just front to rear. Lateral shock at 35mph is enough to dislocate your cervical spine. Lateral shock would occur if you have a off track excursion and go sideways into a wall or tire barrier or curbing.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 12:35 PM   #20
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Bringing this thread back up since I finally decided what direction to go for safety equipment. This may not be a popular decision, but I ultimately opted for a setup that retains the stock Recaros. I felt comfortable with this after speaking with the great folks over at Competition Motorsport (CMS).

Here is what I ended up ordering:
- CMS 4 point roll bar
- Schroth Profi II ASM 4 pt Harnesses (driver & passenger)
- Necksgen REV 2 Lite Head Restraint

The Schroth Profi II will mount to the stock lap belt points and has anti-submarining technology. No, it's not a 5 or 6 point harness setup. I will still consider going the fixed back seat and 5 or 6 point harness down the road, but I'll be trying the Profi II setup next season.

I'll be making my own rear seat delete kit with some MDF and black carpet.

YouTube
Old 10-24-2022, 02:40 PM   #21
khorn45

Drives: 2021 SS1LE
Let me know on that CMS bar,

I have an RPM on order because they were the only ones that can say they are SCCA and NASA legal for Time trials and hill climbs.

Short of going full cage and gutting the interior, i know the RPM needs a small amount of cutting but I'm getting another set of quarter panel plastics for that so i have the ability to go back to stock.

They have a long lead time?
khorn45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 02:55 PM   #22
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by khorn45 View Post
Let me know on that CMS bar,

I have an RPM on order because they were the only ones that can say they are SCCA and NASA legal for Time trials and hill climbs.

Short of going full cage and gutting the interior, i know the RPM needs a small amount of cutting but I'm getting another set of quarter panel plastics for that so i have the ability to go back to stock.

They have a long lead time?
Lead time sounds reasonable - I think they told me 9-12 days. They did say they'd like to have roll bars on hand, but they've been crazy busy so fab them up upon order. Still, 9-12 days isn't bad at all.

Couple of reasons I went with the CMS bar:
- I know them by reputation, a few guys I know have CMS roll bars in their Porsches
- Easy install, no need to remove the console or anything major. Just front seats, rear seats and panels in the rear. I'll take out the rear seat belts while I have those panels off. No cutting (maybe a small section of carpet but that's it)
- I like the way it mounts and the design -- seems to have good clearance for seat recline and the front part of the 4 pt bolts to the ledge under the rear seat rather than the floor in front of that. Not sure if it makes much of a difference, I just prefer the design.

I don't know about NASA & SCCA legality with the CMS bar, but I'm not concerned with that for my usecase. And having stock seats with 4 pt ASM harnesses certainly don't meet those regulations anyway.

I'll post pics when I get it all installed

YouTube

Last edited by RamAir02; 10-24-2022 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-24-2022, 08:29 PM   #23
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
Quote:
Bringing this thread back up since I finally decided what direction to go for safety equipment. This may not be a popular decision, but I ultimately opted for a setup that retains the stock Recaros. I felt comfortable with this after speaking with the great folks over at Competition Motorsport (CMS).

Here is what I ended up ordering:
- CMS 4 point roll bar
- Schroth Profi II ASM 4 pt Harnesses (driver & passenger)
- Necksgen REV 2 Lite Head Restraint

The Schroth Profi II will mount to the stock lap belt points and has anti-submarining technology. No, it's not a 5 or 6 point harness setup. I will still consider going the fixed back seat and 5 or 6 point harness down the road, but I'll be trying the Profi II setup next season.

I'll be making my own rear seat delete kit with some MDF and black carpet.

Will the Necksgen be effective with the Schroth ASM, since the Schroth essentially turns into a three point belt in a collision? I suspect something like the Simpson Hybrid S would be more appropriate...

https://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/...mpson-hybrid-s

Nigel
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 09:53 PM   #24
ATl_1LE

Drives: SS 1LE
Just installed a CMS cage this afternoon. Super happy with everything. Quick turn around , perfect shipping , quality, and easy install with delete. But its pretty obvious left harness is going to hit bar like pictured on first page.

i grabbed cms knowing it would probably happen cause all the other shops was giving me 8+ week turn around times and would probably not notice once i'm strapped in. RPM cage was second on the list but longer wait and its shipped full intact and would be a 2 man job to install.

Outside of that i'm happy with the fit and finish.
Attached Images

ATl_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 10:27 PM   #25
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitespeed View Post
Will the Necksgen be effective with the Schroth ASM, since the Schroth essentially turns into a three point belt in a collision? I suspect something like the Simpson Hybrid S would be more appropriate...

https://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/...mpson-hybrid-s

Nigel
I had the same question. CMS told me the Schroth Profi II ASM is safe to use with a HANS device. I double checked Schroth's site to confirm.
The Profi II ASM shoulder is only available in 3" width but is still suitable for use with a Forward Neck Restraint such as a HANS device

You can add a dual sub strap to make this belt into a 6 point at any time. We have recently tested this harness with a HANS device, and the results were great. So you can in fact use this harness with a HANS device.

YouTube
Old 10-24-2022, 10:30 PM   #26
Whitespeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
The issue with the harness bar is IF a roll over occurs, the OEM seat is designed to break away and lay flat.
Can you elaborate and provide some references to corroborate this?

Nigel
Old 10-24-2022, 10:32 PM   #27
Whitespeed

Quote:
I had the same question. CMS told me the Schroth Profi II ASM is safe to use with a HANS device. I double checked Schroth's site to confirm.
The Profi II ASM shoulder is only available in 3" width but is still suitable for use with a Forward Neck Restraint such as a HANS device

You can add a dual sub strap to make this belt into a 6 point at any time. We have recently tested this harness with a HANS device, and the results were great. So you can in fact use this harness with a HANS device.
Awesome! Good to know and good on you for asking! 👍
Old 10-24-2022, 10:32 PM   #28
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitespeed View Post
Can you elaborate and provide some references to corroborate this?

Nigel
Matthew is referring to a harness bar like this which does not provide any rollover protection. In a rollover, the seat cannot break away and lay flat since the harness bar will hinder that movement. Should the roof cave in, your body is fixed upright. I'm sure you can imagine the implications of this hypothetical situation.

YouTube