#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 05-26-2022, 11:25 AM   #15
Chrome383Z

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro1973 View Post
Yeah no. As I said I don’t agree with this at all. Maybe other high flow cats, but not the 400 cell ultra cats.
I have the Gen 2 GESI and I would tend to agree. With the valves closed it’s not bad at all - open it roars but not stupid. I really see no reason to go with an aftermarket axle back with this setup. I love it.

Also no real rasp either, the cats seem to prevent that sound that you get with off road pipes and NPP.
Old 05-26-2022, 11:38 AM   #16
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
High flow cats do not make a deeper tone. Lets just clear that up. The only difference between catless and high flow cats is a VERY VERY mild decrease in sound. I ran high flow cats on my setup for a year and just recently removed them, the difference is barely noticeable. There is a difference in sound between no cats and stock cats, but its just volume, no tone difference.
HAHAHAHA, okay man. Some are more sensitive to sound I guess, your opinion isnt wrong but it also isnt representative of what others experience.
Old 05-26-2022, 12:01 PM   #17
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
HAHAHAHA, okay man. Some are more sensitive to sound I guess, your opinion isnt wrong but it also isnt representative of what others experience.
Same could be said for yours so I guess without an objectionable measurement using a sound meter, we'll never know. I've run two different vehicles with high flow cats and no cats and the difference is very minimal. Tone doesn't change at all. My hearing is very good though if that was in question. I'm an audiophile with a LOT of high end equipment so I'm quite sensitive to sound changes.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 12:05 PM   #18
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro1973 View Post
There’s a difference with those too. Maybe your just deaf .. lol

Bigger difference with gen 2 though.
I don't think I'm deaf, last time I checked.
Old 05-26-2022, 01:03 PM   #19
ST1LE

Quote:
Same could be said for yours so I guess without an objectionable measurement using a sound meter, we'll never know. I've run two different vehicles with high flow cats and no cats and the difference is very minimal. Tone doesn't change at all. My hearing is very good though if that was in question. I'm an audiophile with a LOT of high end equipment so I'm quite sensitive to sound changes.
Yeah, exactly. We are all different, no need to 'set it straight right now' when we all experience things differently.

Most seem to notice the reduction in rasp with Cats, but not everyone.....heck...some love a raspy exhaust.
Old 05-26-2022, 01:19 PM   #20
ChadSZL1
Red Bull

Drives: 2017 Chevy ZL1
I have long tube CSP headers and no cats with AWE system. It’s loud for sure but in the cabin it’s actually pretty quiet! Just cruising around it’s great. When you hammer down it does get loud but only outside! I might in the future and something to tone it down a bit!
ChadSZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 01:38 PM   #21
KamZL1

Drives: ZL1
completely subjective topic, no point in debate unless you can physically measure db levels between the different setups like z06 said
KamZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 03:01 PM   #22
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
Yeah, exactly. We are all different, no need to 'set it straight right now' when we all experience things differently.

Most seem to notice the reduction in rasp with Cats, but not everyone.....heck...some love a raspy exhaust.
Reduction in rasp is possible, just like adding resonators. I just don't ever notice much of a reduction in volume.
Old 05-26-2022, 10:21 PM   #23
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
You must not be married, LOL...... My son-in-law actually lost his hearing while on his second tour in Afghanistan. He can't hear my daughter's voice pitch well. She says it's selective, he points to the Navy's report (he's a corpsman himself). Either way, get outs of a lot of sh!t because of this "disability".
Bangkok_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 03:34 AM   #24
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangkok_ZL1 View Post
You must not be married, LOL...... My son-in-law actually lost his hearing while on his second tour in Afghanistan. He can't hear my daughter's voice pitch well. She says it's selective, he points to the Navy's report (he's a corpsman himself). Either way, get outs of a lot of sh!t because of this "disability".
Married 21 years. Selective hearing I do have.
Old 05-27-2022, 02:36 PM   #25
Cleancoupe

Drives: 18 ZL1 1LE
Ended up going with CSP headers with the GESI Gen II cats. Pricey for exhaust, but I guess it’s the market we are in these days. I should have ordered this stuff last year when I was looking into it haha
Cleancoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 07:42 PM   #26
ST1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleancoupe View Post
Ended up going with CSP headers with the GESI Gen II cats. Pricey for exhaust, but I guess it’s the market we are in these days. I should have ordered this stuff last year when I was looking into it haha

Yup, I will be in the same boat next year. They are pricey as hell, I can honestly see why people run without them.
Old 05-29-2022, 12:37 AM   #27
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Married 21 years. Selective hearing I do have.
Smart man, LOL. I’m actually trying to keep my secondaries on the stock system with headers in front of the secondaries. I really have no choice. I will see what kind of fabricating I’ll have to do to accomplish this. One of the good things about Thailand. This will probably cost me less than 100 bucks. Of course on the flip side. Just to import headers the customs broker stole 1000 bucksso let’s see how it comes together. If it doesn’t, then I’ll be catless. But after listening to a few of the guys, esp 1LTKing about the sound when keeping secondary cats, (and the fact that it would still look totally legit here, I’m gonna try to keep them.
Bangkok_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 05:35 AM   #28
zx9rmal

Drives: '20 ZL1 M6
Just as an aside, what is the sound like with an otherwise stock exhaust?
'22 Kawasaki ZX-14R
zx9rmal is offline   Reply With Quote