Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-06-2016, 05:39 PM   #29
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LikaRokBowTie View Post
I concur,if it happened multiple times you'd be in trouble but should be okay with one or two occurrences at the most.So I guess 2500 won't get it
A mechanical over rev doesn't allow for a "once or twice and you should be ok" type of allowance. It's purely if the valvesprings can keep up with the speed of the short block. If they can't, the valves will tag the pistons regardless at a certain speed. It may be a little lower in the rom range on old valvesprings but not much.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:33 PM   #30
Toxicgoober

Drives: 2014 Maxima
Quote:
Originally Posted by garfin View Post
Found this:

Good instruction/explanation of this - how to shift from 3rd to 4th at 2:20.

Also good tips for the 2-3 upshift...

Best regards,

Elie

Good vid. Didn't know this. When I get my Camaro it'll be my first manual. Good to know some tricks before hand. I rode a bike through college, but shifting on those is obviously much different than a car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Toxicgoober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:42 AM   #31
CAPerformance16

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drags1998 View Post
You couldn't hurt it if you tried!!!!! They have gotten so good at building engines and limiting them with Rev controls and fuel shutoffs that you WON'T hurt it. PERIOD!!!!! The guy in the Vid. lost a Tranny, Not a Motor!!!
Not true, you can mechanically over a rev a motor regardless of any rev control or fuel cutoff, and it is never good.

OP, more than likely is fine, grabbing the wrong gear happens. doubt the motor even flinched. FWIW our SS and been taken to redline every day since we bought it.
Now tuned on E85, CA Performance Test pipes & Circle 4C 3800 stall shooting for low 7's next time out.
CAPerformance16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:58 AM   #32
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Ray View Post
No worries , you have a rev limiter. to prevent any damage. Your good to go.
You're assuming way too much about what the electronics can do here (and probably elsewhere as well). They do have their limits, too.

Rev limiters do NOT protect the engine against being mechanically over-revved by the car. Simply put, they can't.

You might be getting a little protection from the tire chirping if you can get the clutch pedal back down to the floor fast enough, but that's about it.

All the fuel and ignition cuts in the world won't keep a car that's going too fast for the gear accidentally selected from blowing the engine revs clear through redline and then some. Basically the car speed is driving the engine rpms instead of the other way around. Maybe think in terms of power going the other way, from the tires back through the diff and up the driveshaft, through the transmission and clutch, and into the crankshaft . . .

Norm
Old 02-07-2016, 10:47 AM   #33
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
You couldn't hurt it if you tried!!!!! They have gotten so good at building engines and limiting them with Rev controls and fuel shutoffs that you WON'T hurt it. PERIOD!!!!! The guy in the Vid. lost a Tranny, Not a Motor!!!
This is not true, try a mechanical over rev. Valves hit the pistons when the rotation speed exceeds the valve spring capability. There is absolutely no protection at all from a mechanical over rev caused by a missed shift. Try down shifting from 6th to 1st at speed, then report back on how the cars computer didn't stop bending every valve, and possibly throw a connecting rod or two.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 01:48 PM   #34
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
I heard the stock pushrods on the ls1 were designed to hopefully bend before kissing a valve with the piston.
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 05:38 PM   #35
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
↑↑↑ I wouldn't bet the cost of a replacement engine on that, either . . .

Norm
Old 02-07-2016, 10:47 PM   #36
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
You can easily blow the rod out of this engine by putting it in the wrong gear and letting out the clutch. rev control ain't gonna stop that.

In 1997 when the LS1 was new so many moms and / or wives would post in discussed that the LS1 blew up. Yeah just ram that bad boy from the top of 3rd into 2nd instead of 4th and 7500 rpm would usually shatter all the pushrods. So don't pretend this is a Corolla.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:49 PM   #37
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfin View Post
Exactly!!
I hate to admit it, but I managed to shift 3-2, at redline while in 3rd - on the dragstrip in my 4th Gen SS. Horrible experience! The force would have put me through the front windshield if I hadn't been wearing the shoulder belt! The result was smacked valves and a mess of bent pushrods.

From that day on, I started shifting from 3rd to 4th backhanded by rotating the palm of my hand 180 degrees so it's facing the passenger door instead of the driver door. You don't "grip" the shifter using this technique, but rather you"push" the shifter into 4th with the palm of your hand. There is a natural motion pushing away from gate for 2nd gear when you do it like is, thus avoiding the dreaded 3-2 misshift when trying to upshift into 4th. It's just as quick a shift to make this way and it's easy to use on road courses as well, anticipating an upshift from 3rd to 4th. Try it. It works.

Best regards,

Elie
I used this trick on my 340 Dart with the 833 new process trans. The stock and even the hurst shift linkage was poor. The 833 is a really hard trans to shift. Good advice to the NOOBS.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:02 PM   #38
Kevlar382

Drives: '12 ZL1; '71 RS/Z28; '99 Vette Conv
They made a big deal about breaking in the ZL1 because of the SC. You don't have a SC so you will be just find.
Kevlar382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:24 PM   #39
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
After I made the 2nd instead of 4th mistake a few times on my daily driver, like 10 years ago, I resolved that I was done with manual transmissions. When it happened, I was commuting to or from work and mentally tired, but nevertheless, when I ordered my 2010 Camaro, I went with the A6. Now Camaro 6 people have the A8 option available! And really, what's so great about a manual compared to that? With paddle shifter, you still get gear selection but you don't have to worry about clutch technique or shifting errors. You know, once upon a time, 100 years ago, windshield wipers were operated by hand. No one misses those and I don't miss manual transmissions, either.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:28 PM   #40
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
good lord
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:34 PM   #41
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
I agree that he probably doesn't have to worry, however, when you downshift to second at a speed beyond the rev limiter stop, you could over rev the engine and do serious damage. If your max speed in second gear is let's say 55 mph at 6500 (rev limited) rpm and you're traveling at 75 and down shift to second, when you release the clutch, your engine will over rev.

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:38 PM   #42
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
I agree that he probably doesn't have to worry, however, when you downshift to second at a speed beyond the rev limiter stop, you could over rev the engine and do serious damage. If your max speed in second gear is let's say 55 mph at 6500 (rev limited) rpm and you're traveling at 75 and down shift to second, when you release the clutch, your engine will over rev.
2nd gear comes out around 70 to 80 , first gear is good to low 50s or there about.