Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-26-2019, 12:15 PM   #15
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
If they determined excess power draw was from an aftermarket install, it's likely it also caused the fire, and you're screwed. A lawyer is just going to take your money.

Sorry, but I think you're better off removing anything aftermarket and fixing the car yourself. No way you're going to win a court case on this, imo.

Modding a modern car under warranty is a bad idea unless you know you have the cash to cover anything that happens to the car yourself.
Old 12-26-2019, 12:26 PM   #16
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
If they determined excess power draw was from an aftermarket install, it's likely it also caused the fire, and you're screwed. A lawyer is just going to take your money.
Agree. But maybe he can get a free phone consultation. If legal outlook not good, then plan B, which is most likely fix it himself or pay someone.
I would also bet his insurance does not cover a fire on a modified vehicle.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 01:58 PM   #17
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
Sorry to hear your having these issue but I have to say, your not going to win a warranty claim against GM without either:
1. Taking it to a mod friendly dealership and hoping they will do a better diognosis as to exactly what happened and why. (try asking local facebook, car groups what dealers they deal with)
2. Finding a lawyer that knows cars and warranty cases. (this is probably going to cost you more out of pocket than fixing it yourself or have a shop fix it.)

This is reason number 468 why modding cars under warranty is a no no unless you have a second daily, can do all the work yourself, or front the cash in repairs. It sucks but GM, doesn't have to prove your mods didn't cause the issue. You would have to prove in court that your mods didn't cause it.
Old 12-26-2019, 07:59 PM   #18
slimjim2525

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
You're screwed. Trust me I know, that's why I'm in my Camaro right now.
Old 12-26-2019, 10:39 PM   #19
Camaro_QC

Drives: 08 Tiburon GS, 2018 Camaro 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxcam02 View Post
It sucks but GM, doesn't have to prove your mods didn't cause the issue. You would have to prove in court that your mods didn't cause it.
That, x1000.

Unless you can prove it didn't cause your issue, you won't go anywhere.

Get it fixed yourself and keep enjoying the car.
1100 - 5/08/2018 | 3800 - 6/18/2018
2000 - 5/09/2018 | 4200 - 6/21/2018
3000 - 5/28/2018 | 5000 - 6/27/2018
6000 - 6/29/2018
Camaro_QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 05:44 AM   #20
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
This is why I won't mod my car. I know people want to talk about the Ferguson Act but, you are going to pay thru the nose to lawyer up. Anyone doing mods is just a little guy against a big corporation, good luck.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 06:12 AM   #21
BlackbeastSS2

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE Shock Candy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin19 View Post
This is why I won't mod my car. I know people want to talk about the Ferguson Act but, you are going to pay thru the nose to lawyer up. Anyone doing mods is just a little guy against a big corporation, good luck.
This comment above is so untrue. It’s always about how you present your case and go about it. My have shaft blew out 1 week after 3 years warranty. 2016 Camaro SS heavily modified with Nitrous. Original the service manager laughed at me when I asked if warranty would cover this. I dug deeper, found a TSB on this problem that plagues the Camaro and was covered by warranty and GM paid my bill. Of course it’s different then this OP problem but point is just don’t go okay when the dealership says no.

Read full thread.
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=550306

Good News —- GM Canada paid for my repair. Just got a call from GM Canada they have agreed to pay in full if I drop my arbitration case.

My car has a lot of mods, do not let GM bully u in voiding your warranty. If u simply just say okay and walk away of course they will not pay. I remained cool at the dealership even when the Service Manager said no chance in hell with Nitrous on the car. I called GM Canada countless times and emailed them, contacted the Better Business Bureau, got a company involved in Canada that does arbitration free of charge for warranty work.

(For you Canadian Camaro owners).
https://www.camvap.ca/

I stuck to saying, look you have a TSB out for repairs. It’s happening to stock cars not just modded cars. I have to sign a release saying GM is doing this in good faith and are not responsible for damages. AKA they know there’s a problem like the A8 transmission but don’t want to admit it.
Diamond Piston & Manley Rods, Roto Fab Big Gulp
BTR Push Rods,LS7 Lifters, ARP, FI Chiller, Kirkey Seats
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 101 octane.
2014 Mini Cooper countryman S All4 M6 daily driver
BlackbeastSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 06:25 AM   #22
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Sorry to say, but I think you have nothing here. You did mention in your post that there was hesitation occasionally before the air bag install. Now, if you had taken it in at that time, a factory defect may have been found. Unfortunately, now, your only hope is that '16 Camaros start catching fire everywhere and they find a design issue for a recall, but it doesn't seem like that's happening at this point.

That said, the real place to look is the air bag install. Find someone who knows about this and have that install checked. Because in all likelihood, that is the issue. From there, that is where your lawyer money goes. If the shop f'd up the install, bad ground, bad connections, wrong wires, etc.

The whole Magnusen Moss Act approach won't work here. It only says that a manufacturer can't void your warranty if you use an aftermarket part designed to OEM spec, like an air filter, or shocks etc. You go putting an air bag system in and all bets are off, especially when that system ties into the cars electrical system. That's case closed as far as GM is concerned.

And be careful, because your insurance company can make the same claim that the modifications changed the car, and may not be covered. Then, if you are financing the car, it is often written in the finance contract about modifying the car, as technically, the bank owns the car until it's paid off.

You're best bet is to get a professional assessment of the air bag install. If that turns out to be the issue, go after the folks that installed it. If the issue with the design of the system, then go after the manufacturer.

Either way, once that system was installed, once they tied into the electrical system, GM was done with the car, period. Someone at the dealership may be able to help, they may even be able to help you with diagnosing where the install or the parts were faulty, but understand, that time they spend on it will be on your dime.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 06:31 AM   #23
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
You were really lucky on that warranty work repair in my opinion! That’s all I can say on that! Nitrous! Wow. Even though there was a TSB on the axle bolts still I’m surprised they did warranty the repairs.
Old 12-27-2019, 06:36 AM   #24
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Smokin19 does have a valid reply! That’s the way I see it too but many gearhead friends of mine see it the other way about the Ferguson-Moss act!
Old 12-27-2019, 06:44 AM   #25
BlackbeastSS2

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE Shock Candy
Everyone makes valid points. I am just really trying to encourage OP to keep trying. I thought at first I was dead in the water, but continued.

You just never know and all situations are different.
Diamond Piston & Manley Rods, Roto Fab Big Gulp
BTR Push Rods,LS7 Lifters, ARP, FI Chiller, Kirkey Seats
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 101 octane.
2014 Mini Cooper countryman S All4 M6 daily driver
BlackbeastSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 07:39 AM   #26
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackbeastSS2 View Post
Everyone makes valid points. I am just really trying to encourage OP to keep trying. I thought at first I was dead in the water, but continued.

You just never know and all situations are different.
Agreed but I have a pretty good idea you would have not got anywhere if it had not been for the TBI.. Good to hear you got it fixed.

Old 12-27-2019, 08:37 AM   #27
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
So a few months back, so it just started after you modded the car? If you have a 2016 it's not under warranty any longer unless you bought the extended so why should GM have anything to do with it. File the claim with your insurance company, have the issue fixed and be prepared to take a hit on depreciation.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 09:17 AM   #28
Jdelgado92

Drives: '16 Red hot M6
Thanks for the advice everyone. I spoke to the service manager, I didn’t go in guns blazing I wanted to keep it civil so we spoke and he told me they just got pictures from the top, sides, under. That’s what gm requested. To me that’s bs because they should have had them go in there and really take a good look inside and under the exhaust manifolds. Anyways the case was closed on that with gm saying there was no signs of fire so now I authorized the dealership to run a diagnostic and check out what’s going on with the car, why it won’t start and How the coolant drained. If they find any signs of fire or they find the started melted then they have to start another case with gm. If there’s no sign of fire then they’ll tell me what the damages are and we’ll go from there.
Hopefully it’s just the starter and maybe a small hose that got damaged. That I can fix myself. I wish did take it in when it was first hesitating to start before the bags, the only reason I didn’t was because they won’t do anything about it unless they can replicate it. I tried with the differential groan and they couldn’t replicate the sound apparently so they blew me off. As soon as I picked up my car I hear heard the noise on the first turn in their lot.
I’m just hoping I can get them to repair it One way or another if it’s a big problem or hoping it’s a small problem I can fix myself. we’ll see what the dealership says.