Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

AWE Tuning

Old 02-23-2017, 04:51 PM   #1
JBinSD

Drives: '23 LT Vert M6'16 Hyper 2SS Vert MT
Ever leave the top down when parked?

Obviously, this depends on where you live, both for climate and crime. I live in So Cal, and have yet to leave my car parked with top down, like, at all. Even for a minute to grab something out of my office. I usually don't keep anything in my car (except wallet, which I usually take with me), so sometimes I'm tempted to leave the top down on a quick trip to the store, or to grab a burger, but it feels so vulnerable to birdsh*t, burglars and theives.

Realistically, if someone wanted something inside my car, or the car itself, I'm sure a quick blade through the fabric roof would give them quick access. I've even heard of people intentionally leaving the top down to avoid damage from a motivated thief, but I think I'll maintain my level of paranoia. Is everyone this way?
JBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 05:15 PM   #2
CyberGuyPR

Drives: '16 vert 2LT RS NPP
I am as risk averse as it gets but since I also do not keep anything of value in my car I can gamble leaving the top down if factors such as weather and location line up. In fact, last weekend was the first time I left it open while I grabbed some reading material at Barnes and Noble.
CyberGuyPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:45 PM   #3
Kencamaro

Drives: 2016 Nightfall 2lt 3.6 convertible
I only put it up if I'm going to be a long time away
To just run into a store
I'll leave it down unless it looks like rain
Kencamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 07:30 PM   #4
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
I plan on leaving mine down as much as possible... you only live once and I've decided I can't worry about the little stuff with it being comfortably warm ( not even counting dry) here in Boston 3-4 months a year. I'm on a mission to enjoy this car, my first convertible with over 40 hardtop cars under my belt.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 07:38 PM   #5
SSSHYBOY

Drives: 2SS convertible, black,black
I live in So Cal also... If there is nothing in the car I have NO problem leaving the top down.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:34 PM   #6
blpadge2

Drives: 2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kencamaro View Post
I only put it up if I'm going to be a long time away
To just run into a store
I'll leave it down unless it looks like rain
Pretty much the same here. Biggest thing is I make sure I do lock the doors, in case some fool does try to mess with her, I will get some notice. This is my 4th convertible, have been driving some kind of rag top since 1991 (90 Chrysler LeBaron, 95 Camaro V6, 06 PTCruiser, 16 Camaro 2SS).
blpadge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:38 PM   #7
G6CamJK

Drives: 16 2SS Convertible, 08 JKU
When I do leave the top down on the Camaro or leave the Jeep parked somewhere with the doors off I leave a cheap holster empty on the passenger seat. Have not had a problem yet.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:11 PM   #8
1fujifilm

Drives: 2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBinSD View Post
Obviously, this depends on where you live, both for climate and crime. I live in So Cal, and have yet to leave my car parked with top down, like, at all. Even for a minute to grab something out of my office. I usually don't keep anything in my car (except wallet, which I usually take with me), so sometimes I'm tempted to leave the top down on a quick trip to the store, or to grab a burger, but it feels so vulnerable to birdsh*t, burglars and theives.

Realistically, if someone wanted something inside my car, or the car itself, I'm sure a quick blade through the fabric roof would give them quick access. I've even heard of people intentionally leaving the top down to avoid damage from a motivated thief, but I think I'll maintain my level of paranoia. Is everyone this way?
I leave mine down too but leave nothing visible, I do roll all of the windows up though as they will have to reach around quite a bit to get to the front seat area.

Bear
1fujifilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:05 AM   #9
Driski

Drives: 2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS
It has been so long since I have driven the car I can hardly remember (winter sucks). Fortunately I live in a relatively low crime area. If I am just running in for a coffee or something I will leave the top down. The main reason I close it is either rain or concern of the sun baking the interior.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:08 AM   #10
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Drives: 2023 2SS Red Hot Vert Camaro
I always leave mine down. Came out of the grocery store the other day & there were 3 blackbirds standing on the top part of the back seat. And another one on the driver's headrest. funniest thing I ever saw - they were just kinda looking at me when I got next to the car - didn't even fly away. they were probably like "Let's go for a ride, man!". Soon as I grabbed my phone for pics, they took off.

That made me think that I leave myself open to cleaning up bird droppings, but I'll probably still leave it down when I park.
classicrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:56 AM   #11
MANNAXMAN

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible
I live in a city with a low crime rate. For the most part, I think people are good. However, I've learned not to trust people when it comes to my cars. With two of my previous three daily drivers, I've had things happen.
-1964 VW Bug: hub caps stolen, car stolen (but recovered), car stereo stolen
-1996 Camaro Z28: Front emblem stolen, car hit in front while parked in a parking lot, car egged while parked on the street
I don't keep anything valuable in my car. But these incidences are always in the back of my mind.

But I'm more concerned with sun damage to the interior if I were to leave the car with the top down for a long period of time repeatedly. Both of my previous Camaros had T-tops. I used to leave the tops off all the time when I would park them somewhere. I owned the '86 IROC for seven years and the '96 Z28 for just over 20 years. Both had their share of sun damage. If I'm running into the store really quickly, I may leave the top down. But, more often than not, the top will go up when it's parked, as I plan on owning this car for a long time.
1961 Volkswagen Beetle with Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (2009-Present)
1964 Volkswagen Beetle with aftermarket Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (Sold)
Follow me on Instagram - @gen6_2ss_vert
MANNAXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:57 PM   #12
camaromike77

Drives: S O L D
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBinSD View Post

I'm the same as you JBinSD.......
Borla S-Type exhaust NPP| GM CAI | Color matched GM side skirts | Color matched 3rd brake light | Big Worm Graphics smoked out tail lights & rear reflectors | Oracle ghosted side markers | LED License plate bulbs | Door striker covers | Jam handle | Engine emblems from RiverCity Creations | 50th Center Console | Black bow ties | Hawk Performance ceramic brake pads | ZL1 Start button | CQuartz ceramic paint finish | Novistretch bra | S O L D
camaromike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:49 PM   #13
JBinSD

Drives: '23 LT Vert M6'16 Hyper 2SS Vert MT
Interesting, I think Caddyshack had an impact on my decision to put the top up too. . . .
JBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:00 AM   #14
JeffMorse

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
My first car was a '67 Mustang convertible. People had no issues slicing my brand new top up and tossing a M80 or something on the seat and blowing it to hell.

People just suck. Leaving it up won't stop someone who wants what's inside. Best option is to just keep it obviously barren inside I guess.
JeffMorse is offline   Reply With Quote