Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-04-2017, 10:25 AM   #1
camaromike77

Drives: S O L D
Top Protectant

WOW! GREAT to see this "Sub-forum", and so HAPPY to be a part of it! Just wondering what you guys / gals do to clean / protect the roof of our convertibles. Dealer told me just to wash it as "normal", and nothing else was required. I am sure there must be something out there to keep it protected and looking nice and black...... Just wondering....

Thanks...
Borla S-Type exhaust NPP| GM CAI | Color matched GM side skirts | Color matched 3rd brake light | Big Worm Graphics smoked out tail lights & rear reflectors | Oracle ghosted side markers | LED License plate bulbs | Door striker covers | Jam handle | Engine emblems from RiverCity Creations | 50th Center Console | Black bow ties | Hawk Performance ceramic brake pads | ZL1 Start button | CQuartz ceramic paint finish | Novistretch bra | S O L D
camaromike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:43 AM   #2
TheDocKlopek

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Great question, I would love to know the real answer to this and not the dealership answer.
TheDocKlopek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:22 AM   #3
diirk

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
We use 303 convertible top protectant for another car we have. Seems to work well. Highly rated. Available online. We ordered from Autogeek.
1morproject
diirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:04 PM   #4
camaromike77

Quote:
Originally Posted by diirk View Post
We use 303 convertible top protectant for another car we have. Seems to work well. Highly rated. Available online. We ordered from Autogeek.
Is it a sealer / protectant all in one? I'll pop over to Auto Geek and have a quick look see... Thanks diirk
Borla S-Type exhaust NPP| GM CAI | Color matched GM side skirts | Color matched 3rd brake light | Big Worm Graphics smoked out tail lights & rear reflectors | Oracle ghosted side markers | LED License plate bulbs | Door striker covers | Jam handle | Engine emblems from RiverCity Creations | 50th Center Console | Black bow ties | Hawk Performance ceramic brake pads | ZL1 Start button | CQuartz ceramic paint finish | Novistretch bra | S O L D

Last edited by camaromike77; 10-17-2017 at 07:51 AM.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:11 PM   #5
camaromike77

Looks to be pretty impressive and only $30.! Here is the info. from Auto Geek:

One thing the convertible never lost was appeal. Once you drive a convertible, you feel the freedom, and a closed car just doesn’t equal that feeling. In order to keep your convertible in tip top shape, you need to use a cleaner and protectant which works to remove stains and dirt, and protect against UV rays that can fade the color of the fabric. The 303 Fabric Convertible Top Kit is the answer to everything. Here is what your kit includes:

16 oz. 303 Fabric/Vinyl Top Cleaner
This cleaner differs from other top cleaners, as it uses colloidal action to get the job done. Colloidal action was first used be scientists to break up particles in oil from oil slicks in our oceans. The oil literally would dissolve in the water. Think of this cleaning action in terms of the reaction of the atom in an atomic explosion. The atoms in the colloid lift, separate and hold in suspension the oils, grease, dust, and soils which have been penetrated. This breakthrough allows the ultra-wet water to hold grease, dirt, and oil in suspension, allowing them to dissolve within the water. This product is safe for all convertible tops, and also works wonders on fabric, velour, and carpeting. The 303 Convertible Top Cleaner is non-hazardous, non-flammable, and non-toxic. It is safe to use on tile, floors, doors, woodwork, ovens, upholstery…even fruit! It is excellent for removing residue and dirt on fruits and vegetables, which attests to its safety.

16 oz. 303 High Tech Fabric Guard
This product protects all new or cleaned “outdoor” fabrics from water, dirt, grease, and UV sun damage. Outdoor fabrics include canvas convertible tops, cloth automobile seats and carpets, biminis, and boating enclosures. 303 High Tech Guard also resists soiling and mildew formation, by restoring an effective level of lost water repellency. There are no silicones within the product, and if you have used a silicone product before you know it does repel water. That’s about it though. Silicone treated fabric lasts on average 2-3 months, as compared to High Tech Guard that protects for up to three years. Silicone has that harsh, pungent smell; whereas High Tech Guard has a mild, clean odor. Most importantly, High Tech Guard is recommended by industry leaders that include AMCO Convertible Fabrics, Winnebago, Orvis, Thor, Sunbrella and Walt Disney World…and Autogeek! One treatment can last up to three years.

Application Tip: 303 recommends cleaning the convertible top twice using a brush before applying the protectant. The surface should be as clean as possible to allow the protectant to bond properly.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:46 PM   #6
diirk

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Looks like you found it ok. LOL.

Thanks for sharing the info. I hesitate to post up detailed info on something I recommend less folks assume I'm somehow in cahoots. Anyhow I did some research and talked to my detailers and this was the one I picked.
YMMV. But if you decide to try it out, please let us know what you think.
1morproject
diirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:50 PM   #7
MANNAXMAN

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible
I'm currently using the RaggTopp products. I purchased a kit from Autogeek - Raggtopp Fabric Complete Kit. It's a very good value.

I did stumble on this comparison video after purchasing the Raggtopp products. I will probably give the 303 products a try after I've used up all of the Raggtopp products.
1961 Volkswagen Beetle with Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (2009-Present)
1964 Volkswagen Beetle with aftermarket Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (Sold)
Follow me on Instagram - @gen6_2ss_vert
MANNAXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 07:14 PM   #8
CyberGuyPR

Drives: '16 vert 2LT RS NPP
I also did some research when I bought my vert and settled on the RaggTopp kit. It's sitting in my garage waiting for spring so I can fully detail the car. And BTW, never trust your dealer for detailing advice.
CyberGuyPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:02 PM   #9
Dub9

Drives: F1fty SS
On my last vert I used 303, cleaner and protectant. The one thing I didn't like was that it was supposed to be kinda warm when applied, and I usually applied in the fall.

On the Fifty I bought the combo from Chemical Guys. I applied it last week, but it hasn't been wet to see how well it beads. I was more interested in the cleaner, as the car won't be out in the rain unless it is caught in a storm.
Dub9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:49 PM   #10
2006Moy

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaromike77 View Post
Looks to be pretty impressive and only $30.! Here is the info. from Auto Geek:

One thing the convertible never lost was appeal. Once you drive a convertible, you feel the freedom, and a closed car just doesn’t equal that feeling. In order to keep your convertible in tip top shape, you need to use a cleaner and protectant which works to remove stains and dirt, and protect against UV rays that can fade the color of the fabric. The 303 Fabric Convertible Top Kit is the answer to everything. Here is what your kit includes:

16 oz. 303 Fabric/Vinyl Top Cleaner
This cleaner differs from other top cleaners, as it uses colloidal action to get the job done. Colloidal action was first used be scientists to break up particles in oil from oil slicks in our oceans. The oil literally would dissolve in the water. Think of this cleaning action in terms of the reaction of the atom in an atomic explosion. The atoms in the colloid lift, separate and hold in suspension the oils, grease, dust, and soils which have been penetrated. This breakthrough allows the ultra-wet water to hold grease, dirt, and oil in suspension, allowing them to dissolve within the water. This product is safe for all convertible tops, and also works wonders on fabric, velour, and carpeting. The 303 Convertible Top Cleaner is non-hazardous, non-flammable, and non-toxic. It is safe to use on tile, floors, doors, woodwork, ovens, upholstery…even fruit! It is excellent for removing residue and dirt on fruits and vegetables, which attests to its safety.

16 oz. 303 High Tech Fabric Guard
This product protects all new or cleaned “outdoor” fabrics from water, dirt, grease, and UV sun damage. Outdoor fabrics include canvas convertible tops, cloth automobile seats and carpets, biminis, and boating enclosures. 303 High Tech Guard also resists soiling and mildew formation, by restoring an effective level of lost water repellency. There are no silicones within the product, and if you have used a silicone product before you know it does repel water. That’s about it though. Silicone treated fabric lasts on average 2-3 months, as compared to High Tech Guard that protects for up to three years. Silicone has that harsh, pungent smell; whereas High Tech Guard has a mild, clean odor. Most importantly, High Tech Guard is recommended by industry leaders that include AMCO Convertible Fabrics, Winnebago, Orvis, Thor, Sunbrella and Walt Disney World…and Autogeek! One treatment can last up to three years.

Application Tip: 303 recommends cleaning the convertible top twice using a brush before applying the protectant. The surface should be as clean as possible to allow the protectant to bond properly.
^^ that's what I use on my Vert as well. Before you wash I recommend you vacuum the top to get any dirt off that can be rubbed into the fabric when you clean the top. I also use a lint roller from time to time to get any fuzzy type stuff that adheres to mine.

Then the 303 and good to go.
Black hash marks
Curb alert
Vitesse controller

Jl audio HD 900/5 amp
c5 650 components
c2 650x coaxials rear fill
2 x 8" W3v3 subwoofers custom ported box
Fix 82 module

BF TPNS
BF Wet Diamond
BF Crystal Seal
Hydr02
303 Aerospace top protectant
2006Moy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 02:52 AM   #11
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
I got the Raggtopp kit. Seems to work well. It's been about three months so I probably need to apply it again. Water beads up nicely.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 02:35 PM   #12
Dub9

Drives: F1fty SS
How often do you all use special "cleaners" on your roof?

Typically, I only do once a year in the fall, before storage. It is also when I apply the waterproofing.

Granted, my car sits in the garage most of the time. Typically when I wash the car, I just hose off the top. There isn't any visible dirt like the pant has.
Dub9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 12:54 PM   #13
2006Moy

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub9 View Post
How often do you all use special "cleaners" on your roof?

Typically, I only do once a year in the fall, before storage. It is also when I apply the waterproofing.

Granted, my car sits in the garage most of the time. Typically when I wash the car, I just hose off the top. There isn't any visible dirt like the pant has.
Ive done it 2 times since I got the car. I will do annually now though since its in garage as well. My biggest issue is lint/fuzzy stuff I vacuum off, so I rarely "clean" the top.
Black hash marks
Curb alert
Vitesse controller

Jl audio HD 900/5 amp
c5 650 components
c2 650x coaxials rear fill
2 x 8" W3v3 subwoofers custom ported box
Fix 82 module

BF TPNS
BF Wet Diamond
BF Crystal Seal
Hydr02
303 Aerospace top protectant
2006Moy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:56 AM   #14
camaromike77

Well, I just had my car professionally detailed. He used a product called "Duragloss 341 Convertible Fabric Restorer" for the roof. He highly recommended it. I am beyond impressed......Made the roof dark jet black, and the water doesn't even bead - just rolls off... Just thought I would share....... Here is a quick pic.....
Attached Images