Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-16-2021, 05:37 PM   #1
jcaligood

Drives: '18 SS 1LE
Ported MSD intake manifold

About to pull the trigger to get the MSD Atomic intake manifold with GPI porting.
However, after reading multiple threads on here (from 2016 or 2017) there is a lot of back and forth.
I see dyno graphs showing 30+ rwhp gains at high end, and some low end toque loss.
Anyone with experience with this IM, are you overall satisfied? Any noticeable low end power loss?

I know the ported LT2 is half the price, but i plan on a cam eventually.

But for now, is there a final word if this a good IM to add 30+ and worth the price?
jcaligood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 05:42 PM   #2
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
the 30+ hp is at 6500 rpm. the car might pick up 15 @ peak (5900). plan on bumping the rev limiter up if you install this manifold, otherwise its a moot point.

my car gained 14 whp going from headers & ported LT1 (ethanol tune) to rotofab cai, LT5 tb & unported msd. no loss in tq down to 2200 but it did slightly, and unrecognizably, reshape the tq curve.

i think if you aren't willing to shift @ 6800+ and are not trying to wring every last mph out of it, spend the cash on something else.
Old 04-17-2021, 10:08 AM   #3
Doc Oc

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
I don't know if it's worth it hp wise but I've seen many pictures of the way the manifold comes from MSD which made having GPI port mine a no brainer. They did a great job and removed a good bit of material. I don't have any numbers from the porting or manifold alone but the car's making 470 ish with the mods below so I'm not mad.
Old 04-17-2021, 10:22 AM   #4
NA18CamaroSS

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE 6M
My experience is that it's worth it. Pray ported MSD gained 15 HP peak and 33 HP at 6,500. Minimal losses down low. I can't feel the difference down low, but I can feel how much stronger the motor is above 5,000 RPM.
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2021, 01:13 PM   #5
Timbo-1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
I have the LT2 and a tune from a Pray performance. He states and I believe the LT2 while better is not close up the upper range, not just peak. This was after I bought it. Given my objective (Top end at the track, I should have consulted and spent more on the MSD). He has the data and data does not lie. Tune kicks butt, but without a baseline, cannot share improvements of the LT2... So, you want power, go with MSD. But again my car is totally different to drive, the guy knows his stuff, will try it at Sebring next weekend.
Timbo-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 04:28 PM   #6
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo-1LE View Post
I have the LT2 and a tune from a Pray performance. He states and I believe the LT2 while better is not close up the upper range, not just peak. This was after I bought it. Given my objective (Top end at the track, I should have consulted and spent more on the MSD). He has the data and data does not lie. Tune kicks butt, but without a baseline, cannot share improvements of the LT2... So, you want power, go with MSD. But again my car is totally different to drive, the guy knows his stuff, will try it at Sebring next weekend.
I have had a ported MSD on my bolt on SS and was disappoined on the street. I would recommdend the MSD for an all out FBO build. But short of that he LT2 IM is a much better deal and offers better street driving performance.
Old 04-18-2021, 07:16 PM   #7
Timbo-1LE

Ok, I track mine on road courses and use it to go to home depot . LT2 works, but as I stated I needed more top end pull as those nasty Porsches pull away in the back stretch at Sebring and frankly it pisses me off... I left top end on the table by not going to the MSD, and note the tune was for LT2, Katech TB and K&N blackhawk. It is definitely much better and pulls hard, simply sharing real results and next Saturday will tell in lap times...as I run a 2:33 - 2:35 very consistently. Daytona out of turn four a week later should also tell, never hit more than 163 before infield turn 1.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:34 PM   #8
Puddin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo-1LE View Post
Ok, I track mine on road courses and use it to go to home depot . LT2 works, but as I stated I needed more top end pull as those nasty Porsches pull away in the back stretch at Sebring and frankly it pisses me off... I left top end on the table by not going to the MSD, and note the tune was for LT2, Katech TB and K&N blackhawk. It is definitely much better and pulls hard, simply sharing real results and next Saturday will tell in lap times...as I run a 2:33 - 2:35 very consistently. Daytona out of turn four a week later should also tell, never hit more than 163 before infield turn 1.
I don't know what kind of Porsches you're up against but the MSD probably isn't going to help. Some of them are a good 600lbs lighter than us.
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 04:37 AM   #9
Timbo-1LE

Your funny
Old 04-19-2021, 09:37 AM   #10
ThePeoplesCamaro
Patriot

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I’m about to run the LT2 ported. I don’t think the few HP gained in the top end is really worth the added price. Plenty of other places with that money to make up a couple of HP. Ported LT2 is comparable to non ported msd from most of what I’ve read.
ThePeoplesCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:46 AM   #11
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
My '16 SS was a manual. That could have been part of my beef with the MSD. And there are no gears for the Camaro, a 4.10 would be needed to get the most out of a M6.

On an Auto, especially the A10 the MSD might be able to stay in the power zone for longer.

And I will say the MSD looks cooler the way JRE set my SS up......

Old 04-19-2021, 12:27 PM   #12
xqwisit23

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS Vert
+1 on the cool factor of the MSD. I have a convertible so the LT2 with the strut tower bar doesn't make for a good fit and putting the LT2 cover on would be impossible with the strut tower.
xqwisit23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 12:30 PM   #13
ThePeoplesCamaro
Patriot

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by xqwisit23 View Post
+1 on the cool factor of the MSD. I have a convertible so the LT2 with the strut tower bar doesn't make for a good fit and putting the LT2 cover on would be impossible with the strut tower.
I’ve seen people post about some spacers to clear the manifold. After mine is installed I’m going to try and find a buddy with a tower brace and test fit. If it’s 1/2 in or less spacers I may consider it. More than that would just look tacky IMO
ThePeoplesCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote