Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 12-17-2020, 05:39 PM   #15
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I would pass on it too! You never know what you will get with a modded car unless you know the original owner or can find the owner that did the mods and talk to him. Like someone replied the original drivetrain warranty is gone and anything happens to the engine it will be on you to get it repaired/replaced. Keep looking for a no mods Camaro is my advice.
Old 12-17-2020, 05:43 PM   #16
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkyleman View Post
There is some older gentlemen who buys the newest Camaro/Corvette that the dealer has every time they get a new one where I live. I've seen him put 538 miles on a car and then trade it back in for the latest and greatest. I bought one of his cars that he traded with low miles and I never had any problems. He never mods them or anything like that, but I see people beat the absolute piss out of cars and they still run fine with a strict maintenance regiment. Every used car you buy is a gamble in a way because the dealer won't tell you the 100% truth and there is no way to know how the owner treated it unless they are maybe a good friend or something of this nature.
Now that’s just crazy but if he has enough money to do that then I commend him and say why not!
Old 12-17-2020, 06:15 PM   #17
CHASLT1

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
I passed on a 2014 C7 with mods. Had headers and a Borla exhaust and sounded so good when i started it up. Headers were rusty and the dash was coming up like they do on the 3LT's.
CHASLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 07:41 PM   #18
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Hard pass on this one. If a car is cammed, you know it was beat on more than the average Camaro. I also wouldn't buy a cammed car without knowing the specs and valvetrain put in. No one in the history of cars has thrown in an aftermarket cam and then drove the car nicely haha. I'm not afraid to buy used that's probably been beat on a little bit, but heavily modified cars scare me.
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 08:53 PM   #19
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
I'd pass on this one, however, I'm a little confused. I find it hard to believe that the dealer would replace the damaged camshaft and lifters with aftermarket parts under warranty.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 05:33 AM   #20
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
My biggest reserve about the car would not be that it might have a non-stock cam, but that you don’t know exactly what it is. That & it’s at a Volvo dealer. If the previous owner traded it in for a Volvo he clearly can’t make rational decisions & should probably be required to wear a helmet & have a cork on a fork at all times.

& of course it’s been beat on.

You said a dealer did it ‘19? I would see if they specify what they put in it & what the mileage was at the time. If a dealer did it I would doubt it has an aftermarket cam as it would need to be taken from there & then tuned.

I dunno, but with a little more info I can’t say as I’d be too scared if that’s what I was looking for.

On average a ‘17 with 30k miles is not all that high in FL. If the in-service date was some time in late-16 that less than 10k/yr.

Last edited by gtfoxy; 12-18-2020 at 05:46 AM.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 05:57 AM   #21
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
I'm with the others who say to walk away from a modded car. I don't think 30k miles is many at all. I bought my 2SS with 38K on the clock but it is stock and I had all the service records come with the car.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 06:32 AM   #22
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
I'd pass on this one, however, I'm a little confused. I find it hard to believe that the dealer would replace the damaged camshaft and lifters with aftermarket parts under warranty.
I was thinking exactly the same thing... GM won't reimburse them if they do off-warranty work.

Still... why was there an issue with a cam and a lifer? And how many miles was that at? The car has definitely been modded in some areas, likely has been driven hard, but also seems to have been maintained regularly.

I've been burned too many times by used cars, especially off of dealer lots, to not have high suspicions around this one and would walk. If the dealership is close, and you have a trained mechanic that you trust to go over the car, pay him for his time and then decide if you want to gamble. If you find more mods than advertised, especially inside of the engine, then definitely walk.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 08:19 AM   #23
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 08:49 AM   #24
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcaligood View Post
I'm saying 30K miles is low to me. Too low to be selling a 1LE already. Maybe covid hardships caused the owner to sell. Or maybe traded in for something, since it's at a Volvo dealership.

I think the price is right. Its a '17 1LE listed at 31,000. That's a good price, from what I've seen them selling for on this forum.

Summit white 1LE, exactly what I was looking for. I just don't know the history.

On the off-chance the previous owner is on here, DM me! haha
Some people just don't drive their cars, for whatever reason(s) it may be . My car was purchased "used" and I still have less than HALF (~13K miles currently) the mileage of the one you are referring to. .

Either way, I would definitely agree that is not the car for you. You'll know when you find the right one.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 08:51 AM   #25
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
The whole thing sounds like a bad idea. 31K isn’t chump change... if it were me, I’d find a car that hasn’t been operated on.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 09:38 AM   #26
Orangeman13

Drives: 2023 Black Camaro 2SS
Stupid question but I’m trying to learn. What does it mean to be cammed?
Orangeman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 09:55 AM   #27
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
I’m pretty amazed at the responses. I mean so many on here have done cams, headers, all kinds of stuff to theirs & are saying not to buy it. Especially when we aren’t even sure it has one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeman13 View Post
When a motor has had a non-stock cam installed.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 11:00 AM   #28
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeman13 View Post
Gives it that rough or choppy idle.