Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

Phastek Performance

Old 08-22-2021, 12:41 PM   #29
JKSully

Drives: 22 Camaro 2SS, 20 Subaru Crosstrek
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
I wonder how many people that talk about adding weight to a vehicle like that... especially when you are talking very little weight like 20-30lbs, get into their car themselves 20-30 lbs over weight... ??
True - but at least if the driver is overweight, it's lower and better for the center of gravity. I'm going to start adding that to the reasons I opted out of the sunroof, though - to offset 30 pounds of gut weight

2022 | 2SS | M6 | NPP | Summit White | Carbon Flash Wheels | Black Lugs | Red Calipers | Adrenaline Red | Red Knee Pads | Nav |
- 1100 - 8/16/21
- 3000 - 9/21/21 - TPW 10/18/21
- 3400 - 10/1/21
- 3800 - 10/20/21 - built 10/19/21
- 5000 - 11/12/21
- 6000 - 11/13/21
JKSully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 02:04 PM   #30
wingchunsifu

Drives: 2017 2SS A8, 2018 Macan GTS
My 2SS does not have a weakened roof and an escape hatch. Unfortunately, my DD Jeep I just swapped out for a 2018 Macan GTS does come with the escape hatch along with a glass roof. Concessions had to be made. The PDK makes up for it though.
wingchunsifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 02:10 PM   #31
Brudda*Termite

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brudda*Termite View Post
A sunroof was a primary consideration for me, I have passive claustrophobia and want to see the sky. I'm 5'10 and don't have a headroom problem with it. Added bonus, another downforce creator when it's fully open...

Probably, but it was a nice delusion
Old 08-22-2021, 03:34 PM   #32
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurtinAlbertan View Post
Have one in my DD Cadillac XT5. It’s never been opened and I mean never. In the Camaro you lose the nice lines on the roof when you add the sunroof. Yes it does reduce headroom. I just don’t need another opportunity for air and water leaks. If you want air then buy a vert.

Hurtin’
I would like a convertible, but it would compromise the performance too much due to the lack of a structural roof altogether and the added weight of structural enhancements, hydraulics and electric motors.

My car is a daily driver and a "for fun" track car, so the compromise of having a sunroof is worth it for me. Now if you are building a dedicated race car then yes, skip the sunroof, but I have a feeling that a lot of the people that yell at others for the whole "oh high centre of gravity" thing never actually hits a track where it could actually matter.

Also, an SS weighs like 3700 lbs. 30 lbs is less than 1% of that. Just saying.

To OP, I am not super tall at 5'10" so there is no issue with headroom, even with a helmet at the track. All my cars other than the 1999 Corolla beater I bought for learning manual have it(my C7 came with the transparent roof so I suppose that also counts as a sunroof; haters will note that it is heavier than the body-coloured carbon fiber roof) and it definitely adds to the enjoyment of the car. Again, if you just want to have a fun ride on public roads, the open air feeling and enjoyment it adds far outweighs the "iT wEaKeNs ThE rOoF aNd HaS a HiGh CeNtRe Of GrAvItY".

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 08:30 PM   #33
adamcars

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
Hardly ever use them and they can have issues years down the road so I say not worth it...
adamcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 09:21 PM   #34
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcars View Post
Hardly ever use them and they can have issues years down the road so I say not worth it...
Usually, it's just a clogged drainpipe. Unclog it and you are good to go. Or it's just the seal needs some care. Motor failure is pretty uncommon in general. I mean, how often do power window motors fail?

I owned a 2008 Accord beater with a sunroof last year and had no problems with it. Granted, didn't open it at all when winter hit, but there weren't any issues with it.

Still, it is a more valid reason to me than the more performance-related ones.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 12:44 AM   #35
DOMIN8TR

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Exorcist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fak_Ork View Post
I'm looking at making an order if I can fit in a Camaro as it's clearly the best performance bargain dynamically (IMO) and I LOVE the looks. A little concerned about comfort and usability but I can test all that.

My ideal build:
New (21-22) 1SS Auto
Carbon Flash Wheels
Magnetic Ride Control

That's it! I think that would give me a great sports car that would be manageable on sometimes questionable Midwest roads but one option I'm wondering about:

Power Sunroof. For those that have one, does it-

Impede headroom?
Operate well?
Enhance enjoyment of the car?
Operate seamlessly and quickly?
Feel to you like it was worth the money?

Any other thoughts and, while we're at it, if you think I might be well served to add another option feel free to @me in the thread I don't really want the NPP exhaust for the weight but would consider it only, and I do mean only, if the stock exhaust is too loud or droning.
Impede headroom…a little bit but it depends on your build. I’m 6’6” and I have about 1” of clearance with my sunroof. I sat in a ZL1 without one and had at least 2.5” of clearance. As long as you don’t have a pompadour then you should be good to go.

Operate well…yup. No problems so far.

Enhance enjoyment of the car…I think so. It’s nice to have the sun come in through the roof without having to open up the windows all the way. My only complaint is that I wish it opened up more. I’m sure there’s reasons as to why it opens only so far but that’s above my pay grade. I still don’t regret getting it.

Operates seamless and quickly…yup.

Worth the money…yup. I know that if I didn’t get one directly from the factory that I’d regret it. No buyers remorse here.
‘20 ZL1 Exorcist #52 Riverside Blue A10
DOMIN8TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 08:04 AM   #36
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
No sunroof , lose headroom

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 08:38 AM   #37
Crushin_LT1

Drives: 2021 LT1 6spd
I opted to not have a sunroof, every car I've had with a sunroof the sunroof has been nothing but problems when it hits around 3 years old.

There is also a few more inches (2, maybe 3) of headroom without the sunroof.

The only negative is how dark the interior of the Camaro is without sunroof or convertible top.
Old 08-23-2021, 08:40 AM   #38
Aaron07

Drives: 2017 2SS F1FTY
Love mine, have it open at every opportunity. Works flawlessly.
2017 2SS F1FTY/HUD/Mag Ride/NPP/Nav/M6/Mishimoto catch can/BTR stage 2 Cam kit/GPI ported LT2 IM and 95mm TB/Roto Fab CAI/Kooks Long Tubes ceramic coated/Borla S Type NPP catback/AFE lowering springs/1LE wheels/OEM smoked tail lights/Diode Dynamics side markers/Uniden R7/3D Maxpider floor mats/Adams graphene ceramic coat
Aaron07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 11:27 PM   #39
Fak_Ork

Drives: Silverado RST 21, 3.0, Crew, Z71
Thank you all for the great replies. I've had sunroofs in two of my cars and sort of liked them but ended up not using them, neither of them leaked.

I find in the last 2 pickups I've had the sliding rear window is ideal for letting in a little outside air and sound and far more effective than vents if weather permits. Based on what I've read I'm inclined to check that box if ordering time comes around.

Great info and perspectives, some of them actually had me out on the road cruising- but in my brain- which is damned nice if you ask me.
Fak_Ork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 12:36 AM   #40
BluinSC

Drives: BVM 1SS
I had one 1ss with sunroof and one without. I think I prefer without. Gf likes with.
BluinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 07:21 AM   #41
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
I like the sunroofs. My car I had factory ordered (took delivery last month), I put a sunroof in. I rarely ever open it, but it is nice to have the extra light in the cabin. I'm 6'2" and I had fit in the Camaro (with the sunroof) just fine. I have a hard time believing that all of these people, that "need" the non-sunroof cars for interior space are 6'2" or taller.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 07:37 AM   #42
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fak_Ork View Post
Thank you all for the great replies. I've had sunroofs in two of my cars and sort of liked them but ended up not using them, neither of them leaked.

I find in the last 2 pickups I've had the sliding rear window is ideal for letting in a little outside air and sound and far more effective than vents if weather permits. Based on what I've read I'm inclined to check that box if ordering time comes around.

Great info and perspectives, some of them actually had me out on the road cruising- but in my brain- which is damned nice if you ask me.
If you have a sunroof in your car and you don't close the shade under it, then you are "using it". It's called a sun roof, not a wind roof. It lets the sun light in and brightens up the cab of the car tremendously. Sure they open up to let the wind in as well, just another benefit of them. But to me just because you don't always choose to "open it" doesn't mean you are not "using it". I don't open mine that often, but I leave the sun shade open so that it lets the light in. I normally close the sun shade when it's parked outside for any length of time just to keep the cabin from heating up.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote