Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 11-25-2022, 04:32 PM   #1
Hostile_1LE

Drives: 2020 Camaro SS 1LE | Satin Steel
2020 SS throwout bearing noise

I know this forum has been all but beat to death with questions and people claiming issues related to transmissions and clutches and the sort. I could definitely just be paranoid, but everyone who I have had listen to what I am about to describe (short of a dealer) has agreed that there is definitely a noise.

So now to said noise. When my car is sitting still and idling neutral, I hear a noise. The noise goes away when I push the clutch in, then returns immediately when I release, along with a faint but distinctive clunk/clank which I assumed was the discs hitting the floating plate. I THINK the noise is the throwout bearing, but I’m not sure. The noise sounds like what I imagine a failing bearing to sound like; a faint scraping / whirring. My dad describes it as a continuous rubbing of sand paper on metal. The noise isn’t loud, so I can’t hear it when in gear and driving as the cat back I have is much louder.

Also my 1-2 shift is pretty firm, requires significantly more force than all the other gears. I read a horror story about a bad batch of TR-6060’s that had defective casings. I am probably paranoid but I’d like some input.
Hostile_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 05:09 AM   #2
JKOR

Drives: 2023 1SS 6 speed
What came of this? I notice a slight noise at idle as well. 1 ans 2 have always been difficult
JKOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 06:52 AM   #3
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
The OP's problem sounds like the throwout bearing may be loose on the clutch fork.
When the clutch is not depressed there is no pressure on the throwout bearing. It is usually held to the clutch fork by two spring clips, and if these are not tight enough, there can be some rattle. When you press the clutch the face of the throwout bearing touches the tines of the pressure plate. If the bearing itself is worn, this is when you will get noise. If the bearing is just loose on the fork, that noise should stop.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote