#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 11-06-2019, 03:37 PM   #1
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Coldest Track Day Temperature?

Greetings.

Season is nearly at its end here in Germany.

I have the opportunity to drive two tracks this weekend with low chance of moisture, but temps are 35-40 degree range.

I'm running OEM SC3's on SS 1LE...will the tires warm to make the effort worthwhile or just not enough heat to soften them for a good time?

Thanks.

Tim
Old 11-06-2019, 03:56 PM   #2
Laststandard

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
I've done a track day in the 45* range here in MN. Eventually they warm up. Keep it at 5 or 6/10s..

One of my cold temp track days had a dinner break before the last sessions, so cars were sitting for 45 mins to 1+ hour. Advanced guys were out first and it made me wonder how many of them were lying about driving experience.. almost half charged out like it was 90* on hot tires. Enough of them spun or had offs that they couldn't even run the last sessions for intermediate and beginner.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:11 PM   #3
driven2exceSS

Drives: 2016 2SS BLK A8 Vert
Any track time is worthwhile in my book. Just be mindful of the conditions as said. Cold tire pressures will need to start closer to target pressures. Hope for some sun to help heat the track surface. Again don't expect hero laps but a good time you can expect. I will be shooting for another track day myself in similar conditions in just over a week. I also started the season early in the same weather, same tires... Again fun! But 10/10ths it was not. Enjoy!!
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
driven2exceSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:55 PM   #4
Tim M

Hmmm. Any off is not acceptable in my book! ;-)

Do you know what the tires hit for temps?

Thanks.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:54 AM   #5
driven2exceSS

Drives: 2016 2SS BLK A8 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post

Do you know what the tires hit for temps?

Thanks.
I did not scan/shoot my tires to be able to provide that data. Sorry Tim
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
driven2exceSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:52 PM   #6
Calcanuck

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 2SS
Did a track day where the track temp was 36 for the first session and 45 for the second. Tires did not warm up on the first session (SC3’s) and grip was significantly affected. Had to take it easy. Second session was better, tire did warm With much improved grip, still slippery so had to be careful. By the third session track temp was high 60’s and all was good

For the first session I started with a pressure of 33 vs 28 and they did not rise. Second session started at 33 and finished at 36.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
Greetings.

Season is nearly at its end here in Germany.

I have the opportunity to drive two tracks this weekend with low chance of moisture, but temps are 35-40 degree range.

I'm running OEM SC3's on SS 1LE...will the tires warm to make the effort worthwhile or just not enough heat to soften them for a good time?

Thanks.

Tim
Old 11-08-2019, 08:05 AM   #7
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
My first time out at Summit Point was Veterans Day weekend 2017, and it was COLD!!! My best lap of the weekend was in the first session on Sunday morning when the ambient temp was hovering right around freezing. It will take a bit longer go get the tires warmed up but you should be able to get enough heat in them to be safe and have some good fun!!!
Old 11-08-2019, 08:08 AM   #8
NickyRacerBoy

Drives: 1LE
Probably does not apply in your application but cold temps and Pirelli DH dont work well!
NickyRacerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:13 AM   #9
nasbagoat

Drives: 17 SW 1LE
Ive done a few days where the temp was under freezing until 11am on SC3's. The first session for everyone is to put some heat in the track and will be similar grip level to driving in the rain. Once the track gets some heat in it then feel out the grip level in slow corners. I was surprised by how much grip there was at such a low temperature, but as the previous poster said even a lunch break can make the track cold again.

I would never pass up on track time just because its cold.

R compound and slicks in those temperatures is another story entirely though.
nasbagoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:37 AM   #10
Tim M

Appreciate the info. Spa was the second track - it is $ investment with an overnight and extra 4 hour drive not too mention $350 entry fee.

It is OBE as they are forecasting rain now. I will delay that visit for a warmer time next year.

Will still take advantage of a closer drive track - will post up how it goes...high of 39 degrees!
Old 11-08-2019, 01:43 PM   #11
Northtrack

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Tire selection will have a big bearing on the enjoyment of a cold weather track day. I had my first cold weather experience with the F1SC3R's a couple of weeks ago and it wasn't positive. It started with a nervous/gripless 100 mile drive to the track with temperatures about -2 deg C/29 deg F. First run on the track the temps were 2 deg C/36 deg F and did four sessions with the warmest being about 9 deg C/48 deg F. These were basically new tires - maybe 300 street miles total and this was the first track day.The grip for the morning sessions was non existent for the first 2-3 laps and took about 7 laps to get up to pressure, heat and decent grip. With 24 minute sessions, getting a reasonable amount of heat into the tires took over half the session. During the last session, I stared to feel a vibration like I had picked something up on the tires. It didn't change so I came in after a couple of laps and checked the tires, and discovered a large chunk of rubber missing from the middle of the right rear tire - pics below. No pressure loss, and I was able to drive home - albeit slowly and with a steady vibration. I'm sure this is a result of cold temperature use and abuse which the F1SC3R's are just not designed for. For me at least, I will avoid using the F1SC3R's below 40 deg F. The experience might be very different for the F1SC3's (non R) but I have no experience with that tire.
Attached Images

Northtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:13 PM   #12
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
35 F on GYSC3's

Old 11-09-2019, 12:50 AM   #13
Tim M

Northtrack: That tire failure is certainly a concern.

One might think the R tires are less forgiving in trade for the softer compound...

As it is, it may be the last event for my tires - new ones are in the garage for install over the winter.

Badmojo: I've only got 455 HP to work with so wheelspin likely won't be an issue compared to your video...;-)
Old 11-09-2019, 07:51 AM   #14
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmojo View Post
35 F on GYSC3's

My only advice is that if you are tracking in these temps, then don't take it too easy on the warm up laps. If you do, then the tires will never get up to temp.