Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 11-22-2019, 06:17 PM   #1
TommyKing

Drives: 2010 Camaro V6
Timing and Traction Control Issue

So, I've had the P0008 code in my 2010 V6 for a few years. It's never caused me any issues so far. Plus, I haven't had the money to have it fixed so even if it was an issue there's nothing I could do about it. But I decided to try to fix it myself. I had the codes checked again and some others were added. I don't remember them exactly but along the lines of cam out of alignment and loss of power.

So, I started taking everything apart today. I've gotten the top covers off exposing the cams and tops of the chains. My issue is from other people's pictures and videos who have gotten this far. Their chains were visibly stretched/loose. My chains are very tight, there is no give at all. So, I'm wondering if there's something else that could be causing these codes? Maybe just a faulty sensor?

Secondly, my car recently keeps telling me to service my tire monitoring system. It will stop giving me psi for a random tire. I just reset it and it works again for a few days. But now it is telling me to service my stabilitrak. The lights on my dash are lit up showing traction control is off, stability control is off, and the light that comes up when you lose traction is permanently on. Now, I tried to slide around in the rain after this with no luck so I don't actually think it is actually shut off. But I'm wondering if the tire monitoring and stabilitrak problems can be related. Or if anyone has had this problem and knows what the issue is?
TommyKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 06:25 PM   #2
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
What shape is the battery in? I’d start there.
Old 11-22-2019, 06:33 PM   #3
TommyKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0stones0 View Post
What shape is the battery in? I’d start there.
I checked the battery even though I just changed it about 5 months ago after my last one stopped holding a charge. It's seems to be holding a charge fine. I would note that when the service stabilitrak came on my amperage was staying at 15.4 - 15.3 which was the first time I've seen it ever go above 14.9. It's back down to normal amp range now though.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:09 PM   #4
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyKing View Post
I checked the battery even though I just changed it about 5 months ago after my last one stopped holding a charge. It's seems to be holding a charge fine. I would note that when the service stabilitrak came on my amperage was staying at 15.4 - 15.3 which was the first time I've seen it ever go above 14.9. It's back down to normal amp range now though.
I’m going to guess that you mean voltage, rather than amperage. You may want to check the charging system to make sure it’s not over/under charging the battery.
Old 11-23-2019, 11:30 AM   #5
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
Mine did this dash light boogie and little by little it was getting worse almost every day. Dealer could not find anything. This is what I did to deal with it....

I would disconnect the negative wire from the battery in the trunk and leave it off for a whole day. The computer will forget what ever was giving it fits and it might not come back. Some times it takes 2 cycles of this exercise to fully erase the dash light mess. It can come back in a year or so but you can do this again as needed.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:15 AM   #6
TommyKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingr69 View Post
Mine did this dash light boogie and little by little it was getting worse almost every day. Dealer could not find anything. This is what I did to deal with it....

I would disconnect the negative wire from the battery in the trunk and leave it off for a whole day. The computer will forget what ever was giving it fits and it might not come back. Some times it takes 2 cycles of this exercise to fully erase the dash light mess. It can come back in a year or so but you can do this again as needed.
Well I've had it disconnected for a few days now while I've been working on this timing chain. Hopefully the issue goes away. For anyone interested since I know the P0008 code and stretched chains is a common issue with the 2010 V6. None of my chains are stretched at all. When I took the timing cover off a broken guide fell out. I'm going to inspect it more today to see if I can figure out what could have caused this. But as of now this seems to be the only issue.