Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-22-2019, 05:49 AM   #1
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
Battery Question

I have read quite a few threads both in the ZL1 forum and the general Camaro forum about bad batteries.

I am wondering if anyone has tried the Optima Yellowtop H6 in their Camaro?

I have a little over a year left on my warranty and am thinking about just getting one of these at the 3 year mark for my car as a piece of mind upgrade.

Anyone try one? How is the fitment?
Old 11-22-2019, 06:03 AM   #2
keystonemedical

Drives: 2019 ZL1 / LE , 2014 CTS V
Ive had luck with the red tops. I cant speak for the yellows. Judging by there spec, the yellows always seem overkill for what I need them for.
keystonemedical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 06:10 AM   #3
SteveV

Problem is, according to the Optima Battery website, they do not offer a redtop battery for the 6th Gen, V8 camaro.

The yellowtop H6 is their only offering... So, overkill or not, it is the only choice for Optima.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:59 AM   #4
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
The only advantage of the Optima is you can install them in various positions. I thought I would purchase one for my wife's car and they don't last any longer than a normal battery. So unless you have a special install need my opinion is you are wasting money.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:27 AM   #5
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpevans View Post
The only advantage of the Optima is you can install them in various positions. I thought I would purchase one for my wife's car and they don't last any longer than a normal battery. So unless you have a special install need my opinion is you are wasting money.
Have had a lot of friends say the same. Overpriced in my opinion. I won't fork out the money for one and never will.
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:43 AM   #6
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
I have a little over a year left on my warranty and am thinking about just getting one of these at the 3 year mark for my car as a piece of mind upgrade.
In my experience, car batteries have a higher failure rate "out-of-the-box" than most consumer products, maybe on the order of 5-10%. I think some of that flies under the radar because a battery that takes only a 75% charge when new will still work like one that takes a full charge.
Maybe Optima load tests every battery while it's in a paint can shaker and their products have better reliability.
I bought a brand new AGM battery last summer that topped out at 12.4 V after it was charged on my spiffy NOCO charger (should be over 12.8 for a new AGM). Manufacture date was the same as the month I bought it. I returned if for a good one.
Get your battery tested for peace of mind, but don't think a new battery guarantees no problems.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:44 AM   #7
BlueinTN

Drives: gas powered
Quote:

Counter point im on my 5th yellow top all of them have gone more than 9 years. The last one I have is at 10 and still in use in a vehicle that has headers so typical lead acid would last 3 at most. The heat would boil the water out. it also sits 3 months at a time and Im not much on charging. Its easily been discharged 10 times.

When my battery in the Camaro needs replacing Ill probably use Optima.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!
BlueinTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:56 AM   #8
ssmofo

Drives: Chevy Camaro
I've always used interstate batteries, they are quality made and normally have a good warranty, especially if you buy them from Costco, they are a great replacement choice.
ssmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 11:00 AM   #9
keystonemedical

Drives: 2019 ZL1 / LE , 2014 CTS V
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
Problem is, according to the Optima Battery website, they do not offer a redtop battery for the 6th Gen, V8 camaro.

The yellowtop H6 is their only offering... So, overkill or not, it is the only choice for Optima.

Good info,,,Havent had the need to spec one out yet, hopefully I wont.
keystonemedical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 05:20 PM   #10
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmofo View Post
I've always used interstate batteries, they are quality made and normally have a good warranty, especially if you buy them from Costco, they are a great replacement choice.

Costco has the H6 batteries but they're not AGM, only regular lead acid. They told me that they should be carrying the AGM within a few months.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 05:45 PM   #11
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I also like the interstate batteries. I usually swap one out at the first time the Honda battery goes bad. If you’re regularly using your car and it’s not sitting for long periods, and you’re not in extreme heat or other things, a standard lead acid is fine. AGM’s are great for not discharging very much when in storage, but their reserves and longevity is about the same as A good lead acid battery. They are better when a battery is being constantly recycled, and in storage. Also they are essentially maintenance free..

https://www.solar-electric.com/learn...at%20Batteries

Regarding optima, they went through a period 5 to 10 years ago where they really dropped in quality. I believe it was when they were shifting ownership, I haven’t heard any recent problems with them. I still would prefer an odyssey over an Optima.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 05:56 PM   #12
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueinTN View Post
Counter point im on my 5th yellow top all of them have gone more than 9 years. The last one I have is at 10 and still in use in a vehicle that has headers so typical lead acid would last 3 at most. The heat would boil the water out. it also sits 3 months at a time and Im not much on charging. Its easily been discharged 10 times.

When my battery in the Camaro needs replacing Ill probably use Optima.
They are still a lead acid battery. The one in my wife's car lasted 6 years and at close to 2 bills I will buy two that each last 6-7 years. Question, why would you have your battery mounted by the headers.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 02:34 AM   #13
BlueinTN

Drives: gas powered
Quote:
They are still a lead acid battery. The one in my wife's car lasted 6 years and at close to 2 bills I will buy two that each last 6-7 years. Question, why would you have your battery mounted by the headers.

its mounted in the engine compartment.

And just to correct myself there a gel mat battery not a flooded battery

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!
BlueinTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 09:02 AM   #14
SteveV

Quote:
They are still a lead acid battery.
While this is true, the yellowtop is an AGM battery. The acid is absorbed into the glass mat. So, it is far less likely to boil out than a traditional lead acid battery.