Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > USA - Texas

Phastek Performance

Old 09-06-2019, 10:27 AM   #29
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravis22 View Post
Cool, maybe I’ll just go ahead and schedule it. I’ve just heard stories that some dealers try to upcharge for that oil for the free oil changes so was going to confirm ahead of time. I did buy a new oil cap that shows that’s the kind of oil to use, so hoping that adds a little extra insurance that they use it.
Okay, I get where you're going now. I did get both my free oil changes there and it was 0W40 but then my car came from the factory with it. The 3rd oil change was $125 and they even gave me an extra qt of 0w40 because I told them to only put 10 qts in which initially won't show full until it sits a bit. Most shops try to add an extra 1/2 qt only to find out later that it's over filled. Happened on my last Z too. The $125 deal was not the normal price either. I think it's like $160 regularly.

So yes, you might clarify that extra charge thing before they do it.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:37 AM   #30
Ravis22

Drives: Hyper blue ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Okay, I get where you're going now. I did get both my free oil changes there and it was 0W40 but then my car came from the factory with it. The 3rd oil change was $125 and they even gave me an extra qt of 0w40 because I told them to only put 10 qts in which initially won't show full until it sits a bit. Most shops try to add an extra 1/2 qt only to find out later that it's over filled. Happened on my last Z too. The $125 deal was not the normal price either. I think it's like $160 regularly.

So yes, you might clarify that extra charge thing before they do it.
I called and they said that is what oil they would use. I’ve scheduled an appointment for Monday, so I’m hoping all will go smoothly! Appreciate all the info.
Ravis22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:50 AM   #31
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
I called and they said that is what oil they would use. I’ve scheduled an appointment for Monday, so I’m hoping all will go smoothly! Appreciate all the info.
You'll find appointments don't mean a whole lot except for some priority when when others aren't waiting. You'll get a car wash coupon you can use for one of your other cars if you're ever in the area again, since you won't want to run the Camaro through there. They do have good vacuums though.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:54 PM   #32
Ravis22

Quote:
You'll find appointments don't mean a whole lot except for some priority when when others aren't waiting. You'll get a car wash coupon you can use for one of your other cars if you're ever in the area again, since you won't want to run the Camaro through there. They do have good vacuums though.
Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully it goes fairly smoothly. Assume it’s just a machine type car wash? Definitely don’t want to run it through one of those.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:26 AM   #33
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully it goes fairly smoothly. Assume it’s just a machine type car wash? Definitely don’t want to run it through one of those.
Yeah, it is which is why I mention the Vacuum and using the coupon for a different car.

Popcorn and free sodas too
Old 09-09-2019, 02:46 PM   #34
Ravis22

Quote:
Yeah, it is which is why I mention the Vacuum and using the coupon for a different car.

Popcorn and free sodas too
Got the oil and differential fluid changed this morning. Took about twice as long as they said, but they charged me less then expected. At first, was going to be even less but I asked to confirm they actually changed the diff fluid because they were only going to charge me like $58, they assured me they did it and charged me more :/. Maybe I should have kept my mouth shut!

I also noticed they listed the oil part number as 88865638, which is the old 5w30 oil and I asked them about it, since I called ahead and confirmed this morning that they were going to use the 0w40. They said that’s just what the system lists for v8s, but that the techs know, and definitely used, the 0w40 oil on Camaro’s and corvettes, especially the Z’s.

This makes me feel uncomfortable, but I guess I have no option but to trust them.

If I wasn’t living in a temp rental with no access to my tools and stuff, I would likely have just done it myself to ensure it gets done right, but kind of limited right now. Hopefully by the time any future work like that comes due I’ll be in a better position to do it myself.

Appreciate the input!
Old 09-12-2019, 03:21 PM   #35
900RFWN

Drives: ‘18 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Got the oil and differential fluid changed this morning. Took about twice as long as they said, but they charged me less then expected. At first, was going to be even less but I asked to confirm they actually changed the diff fluid because they were only going to charge me like $58, they assured me they did it and charged me more :/. Maybe I should have kept my mouth shut!

I also noticed they listed the oil part number as 88865638, which is the old 5w30 oil and I asked them about it, since I called ahead and confirmed this morning that they were going to use the 0w40. They said that’s just what the system lists for v8s, but that the techs know, and definitely used, the 0w40 oil on Camaro’s and corvettes, especially the Z’s.

This makes me feel uncomfortable, but I guess I have no option but to trust them.

If I wasn’t living in a temp rental with no access to my tools and stuff, I would likely have just done it myself to ensure it gets done right, but kind of limited right now. Hopefully by the time any future work like that comes due I’ll be in a better position to do it myself.

Appreciate the input!
That uncomfortable feeling will always be there. When I went in for the second oil change I asked for Mobil 1. I figured I would pay the difference from the free change or just pay it all, no big deal. They put in the Dexos. It's synthetic and they didn't charge me anything of course but it's like don't you guys listen to anything I say, ever? Frustrating.
900RFWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:06 PM   #36
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:

Appreciate the input!
Complete BS that the techs know. I will say their checkout process is not good and I usually have to stand there forever to pay.

I would complain and make them drain the oil, especially if you plan on going to the track. Use that part # as your proof. Really sorry this happened, but why didn't you watch them. OW40 has to be put in using plasitc bottles and easy to spot. I usually walk outside and chat with the tech too. Ugggh... sorry man.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:18 PM   #37
Ravis22

Quote:
Complete BS that the techs know. I will say their checkout process is not good and I usually have to stand there forever to pay.

I would complain and make them drain the oil, especially if you plan on going to the track. Use that part # as your proof. Really sorry this happened, but why didn't you watch them. OW40 has to be put in using plasitc bottles and easy to spot. I usually walk outside and chat with the tech too. Ugggh... sorry man.
I was watching from inside and I did see the tech pouring the oil in from a plastic bottle, because I remember thinking that was weird. I figured even the 0w40 stuff came in a big drum that they would use.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:20 PM   #38
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
I was watching from inside and I did see the tech pouring the oil in from a plastic bottle, because I remember thinking that was weird. I figured even the 0w40 stuff came in a big drum that they would use.
Then you're good. Everything else they have comes from the drum.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:06 AM   #39
Clam

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
I drive all the way up to Parkway Chevrolet in Tomball. They have a quick change service for all fluid changes and has a waiting area to view inside of the shop. Plus I get a free coupon for a car wash on-site, but I just use it to vacuum the inside of my car. They also have the main service shop at the dealer, and I used them for unscheduled maintenance. Great waiting area too, not cramped like some dealers near Katy.
Clam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 03:45 PM   #40
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Reviving this,

Had an oil change done at Parkway for $133.20 total. Great value and am going back to them unless Sterling can beat their price in the future. ($100 parts, $24.95 labor, $8.25 tax)

However I’m adding to the Buckalew negative experience, while not as extreme as others it did leave a sour taste.

I called them and asked about the $79.95 8 quarts full synthetic oil change, asked how much it would be for 10 quarts for my Camaro. They put me on hold and returned to confirm to me it would be $100

Headed over and into the service express lane. Advisor comes and I tell them of the call with $100 price I was given, reiterating $100 for 10 quarts full synthetic. He checked his tablet and confirmed saying ‘$114-115’ total.

Throughout the advisor came once to tell me everything’s good, just new tires should be installed. I requested them to top-up the coolant and advisor looks at the paper and says it’s fine just cold to hot weather changes.

Finally time for the cashier, total: $164

Strange, I request to talk to the advisor and he comes in. Says ‘my bad that $100 was the 8 quart price’. I reply that we confirmed in person and I confirmed on the phone it was 10 quarts full synthetic for $100. He switched to saying it’s because they used Mobil 1 and not ACDelco initially saying ACDelco doesn’t come in 0w-40 to which I state it does but whatever you still didn’t tell me anything about this price increase. He’s apologetic and finds a $15 off coupon to get my total to $148.

Whatever, I say I’ll pay and tell him if I had known I’d have rather gone to Parkway for the same price (actually cheaper at Parkway). I don’t care about the price but it peeved me that I confirmed twice and that meant nothing. Also guess my coolant overflow tank being empty means the coolant is fine.

Annoyed and frustrated that I paid more and spent way more time for nothing.

Here's Parkway's receipt
Name:  parkway.png
Views: 22
Size:  427.4 KB

and Buckalew's
Name:  Screenshot 2024-01-31 155218.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  183.6 KB
Attached Images

Happiness: Infinite

Last edited by Bumbleboy92; 01-31-2024 at 03:56 PM.
Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote