Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-13-2022, 02:18 PM   #15
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
Put on the z26 pads and never looking back.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 05:16 PM   #16
Hendo_ss

Drives: Camaro ss 1le
Do the copper free brakes use the same pads as the regular brembos?
Hendo_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 05:35 PM   #17
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo_ss View Post
Do the copper free brakes use the same pads as the regular brembos?
Copper free has nothing to do with the pad or rotor, states are requiring a different brake line.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 05:38 PM   #18
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6/Nissan Leaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
I have ZERO issues stopping my SS with the Z26 pads and rotors. Honestly can't tell any difference between the Brembo pads and the Z26 pads for how I drive my car. As others have said... "If" you track your car then fine I get it, but if you don't, putting up with all the brake dust is kind of foolish when you don't have to. For the weekend warrior, spirited driving their Camaro on public roads, you will never outdrive the PowerStop brakes.
I have to be honest, the Z26 Street Warrior Brake kit that I bought (drilled and slotted as well) for my SS Sedan didn't have the braking power that the OEMs had. They did produce considerably less dust, but the braking felt a little skittish and choppy. In hindsight I would've kept the OEMs although the squealing sound was pretty embarrassing, which I also got from the Power Stops. Funny enough though, after I took my SS to a track event the noise finally stopped, and then a few weeks later I traded it in...
TXCSSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 10:53 PM   #19
Hendo_ss

Drives: Camaro ss 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpevans View Post
Copper free has nothing to do with the pad or rotor, states are requiring a different brake line.
I understand that, but if you opt for the copper free brake package you get bigger rotors and calipers. Wasn't sure if they used the same pads.
Hendo_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 06:12 AM   #20
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCSSU View Post
I have to be honest, the Z26 Street Warrior Brake kit that I bought (drilled and slotted as well) for my SS Sedan didn't have the braking power that the OEMs had. They did produce considerably less dust, but the braking felt a little skittish and choppy. In hindsight I would've kept the OEMs although the squealing sound was pretty embarrassing, which I also got from the Power Stops. Funny enough though, after I took my SS to a track event the noise finally stopped, and then a few weeks later I traded it in...
I don't doubt people have different experiences. I'm not sure if that is the exact same kit/materials I bought for my Camaro, but ya... everyone is going to have their own experience. I 100% would never go back to Brembo pads unless I was going to track my Camaro.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 08:17 AM   #21
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
I don't doubt people have different experiences. I'm not sure if that is the exact same kit/materials I bought for my Camaro, but ya... everyone is going to have their own experience. I 100% would never go back to Brembo pads unless I was going to track my Camaro.
Same here. Ceramic coated my OEM 1LE wheels before installing them and did Z26 pads. Probably 95% less dust and no problem hauling me down from nearly 150 MPH at the strip. The little bit of dust I do get comes off with foam cannon and touch less wash 99% of the time.

I kept the Brembo pads in case I ever decide to road course the car but probably isn’t happening anyway lol.
Old 05-14-2022, 09:32 AM   #22
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpevans View Post

I'm not following this. Copper free has everything to do with the pads and nothing to do with the brake lines.
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 09:40 AM   #23
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitespeed View Post
I'm not following this. Copper free has everything to do with the pads and nothing to do with the brake lines.
Yeah, people are dumb.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 09:45 AM   #24
AmericanMike

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS FIFTY
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
If you are not tracking your car, then install the PowerStop Z26 pads.

That's what I, and tons of others on here did to reduce (by 75% or more I'd say) the brake dust.

There are things you can put on the wheels to help reduce build up or clean them easier, but pads are the best solution for a street driven car.
^^^this^^^ and after that I say "what brake dust?". Those PowerStops are awesome and took me less than an hour to do all four wheels taking my time doing it.
AmericanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 09:47 AM   #25
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
I've used ArmorAll Outlast Brake Dust Repellent with relatively good success.

https://www.armorall.com/ca/product/...ust-repellent/

I even use it on my ceramic coated wheels, since I found the ceramic coating that was applied to mine made very little difference. I'd still get a noticeable film of brake dust after just a few hundred miles. But with the ArmorAll Outlast, it will usually last as long as it will take for the car to get dirty in general. Some people have had issues with Outlast leaving a milky haze in some places. Perhaps it's just apparent on some wheel finishes like chrome, or it's being misapplied. In any case, I've never had that issue with mine and I used it for years. Unfortunately, I can no longer find a local vendor now and I've had to switch to Autoglym Alloy Rim Protector, which seems to work pretty well too.

Nigel
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 11:27 AM   #26
Grumpy1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Hyper Blue A10
Been looking into pads myself.
Curious, as most are using the z26 pads does anyone have experience with carbotech 1521 pads.
Just from what I've read they seem to have more initial bite then the z pads while still minimizing dust. Have also read that multiple people have had noise/squeeking issues with the z pads. I know they are more expensive but the with the amount of mile I put on car they'll probably be the last pads I'll need to get... lol
Grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 03:54 PM   #27
mariojas

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6 & 2023 Stinger GT AWD
Mag All wheel cleaner, pressure washer and 5 minutes...

1. Take off bulk of dust by just pressure wash.
2. Spray Cleaner,
3. Wait 2 minutes.
4. Rinse with water...

IDK, works perfectly to me.

Charger sold! Better to sell, than waiting to be stolen...
mariojas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 05:00 PM   #28
Kerry

Drives: 2019 2SS Camaro
Quote:
I get no noise at all with my PowerStop drilled and slotted rotors with the Z26 pads. I know there was markings for which wheel they went on when I bought & installed them.
I had mine off and Im not sure I got them back on the right way. Would u mind snapping a pic to show the right way. Mine must be backwards. They make a scrub noise if I get on them pretty hard. Thanks
Kerry is offline   Reply With Quote