#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 11-27-2021, 05:08 PM   #15
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71bb View Post
The issue after I talked to the engineer at SPL is the is that the GM design doesnt allow for alot of room below the lock nut anyway. I DID use the NYLOCK that came with the KIT on the APEX 19's with no issues once I removed two of the small washers.

A custom 19 inch wheel regardless of brand is going to have the same distance to the inside barrel of the wheel as a GM OE wheel does so whether or not you are running a aftermarket 19" wheel is irrelevant.

SPL has not been making parts for our cars nearly as long as they have other manufacturers so that's always going to be a learning process.

To make the EXISTING Bumpsteer kit instantly compatible with 18 inch wheels , all they would have to do is make the threaded end of the bolt SHORTER and then supply a thinner nylock nut like what we used.

SPL PARTS are aircraft quality parts and they are simply the BEST suspension parts you can buy PERIOD.

Never said they weren’t good parts, all I’m saying it’s up to the end user to know what does or doesn’t fit his or her application. If SPL is running factory wheels I’m sure they’ll fit without issues but anything other than that it’s on you.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 05:23 PM   #16
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
Never said they weren’t good parts, all I’m saying it’s up to the end user to know what does or doesn’t fit his or her application. If SPL is running factory wheels I’m sure they’ll fit without issues but anything other than that it’s on you.

yea they have stock 1le wheels on their car not sure if they ever test fitted them with 18s or 19s oh well
Old 11-28-2021, 10:02 AM   #17
Tachitup

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE M6; previous 2018 ZL1
Sorry to hear you had issues with a kit that was supposed to fit your car.

My question is: how much bump steer were you getting both before and after you installed the kit?
Old 11-28-2021, 10:06 AM   #18
Tachitup

Quote:
ANYTHING that has for instance a HEIM joint in it like these tie rod ends WILL result in a NOISER suspension. Same thing goes when you replace rubber mounts with DELRIN or SOLID mounts. .
Replacing a tire rod end with a spherical bearing is not going to generate more noise. The tie rod end is already a steel bearing.
Old 11-28-2021, 12:27 PM   #19
sr71bb

Drives: 2019 Camaro Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachitup View Post
Sorry to hear you had issues with a kit that was supposed to fit your car.

My question is: how much bump steer were you getting both before and after you installed the kit?
I disagree with you regarding a HEIM joint NOT causing some additional noise potentially. ANYTHING that allows more movement inherently can cause more noise. EVERY car I have had that I used HEIM joints on was noiser compared to the stock setup.

Well on a flat course NONE. On a course with a couple of rapid elevation changes I could feel it the steering wheel on occasion. I defer to the experts on this at times and the shop that set the car up for road racing felt strongly that it was a good idea if for no other reason it made the tie rod endings much stronger.

I wasnt really all that bummed out that it didnt work on my car without modifications. OLBLUE75 is absolutely right when he mentions you have to be adaptable when you run any part on your specific setup which may or may not match what the part was designed for by the manufacturer.
https://youtu.be/c9M5UHDftcA
4-15-23 at SCCA TT U1 Class

MEGA Thread on THIS car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602092

Retired Cars BELOW:
1973 Camaro, 1969 Camaro, 1969 Camaro SS RS
2010 Camaro SS with 1000HP F1R, 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
sr71bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 12:43 PM   #20
Tachitup

Quote:
I disagree with you regarding a HEIM joint NOT causing some additional noise potentially. ANYTHING that allows more movement inherently can cause more noise. EVERY car I have had that I used HEIM joints on was noiser compared to the stock setup.

Well on a flat course NONE. On a course with a couple of rapid elevation changes I could feel it the steering wheel on occasion. I defer to the experts on this at times and the shop that set the car up for road racing felt strongly that it was a good idea if for no other reason it made the tie rod endings much stronger.

I wasnt really all that bummed out that it didnt work on my car without modifications. OLBLUE75 is absolutely right when he mentions you have to be adaptable when you run any part on your specific setup which may or may not match what the part was designed for by the manufacturer.
I was referring to the replacing a steel jointed tie-rod end with a heim joint. There is no change in NVH.

If you measured the bump steer and it didn't exhibit and toe change through the suspension arch both before and after installing the kit, then there was nothing to correct. Somebody is selling you snake oil.
Old 11-28-2021, 06:33 PM   #21
sr71bb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachitup View Post
I was referring to the replacing a steel jointed tie-rod end with a heim joint. There is no change in NVH.

If you measured the bump steer and it didn't exhibit and toe change through the suspension arch both before and after installing the kit, then there was nothing to correct. Somebody is selling you snake oil.
Well everyone is entitled to their opinion even if it wrong. LOL

MEGA Thread on THIS car:

Retired Cars BELOW:
Old 12-06-2021, 12:29 PM   #22
sr71bb

Quote:
Originally Posted by spl_engineer View Post
So the reason that the design does not work with 18" wheels is inherent in the design of the knuckle. The pickup point for the tie rod end is pretty far from the center of the knuckle. This means the tie rod is already pretty close to the wheel to begin with because it is so offset. To be able to bumpsteer the vehicle, it requires you to move the tie rod placement up or down, depending on the characteristics you are looking for. If we wanted to give people ANY amount of adjustment, I had to make the stud a certain length, which is what we supply. We specifically say it will not work with 18" wheels for this reason on the website. It is unfortunate, as I know many people do run 18" wheels on track, but there just really isn't much room between the tie rod mounting location and the wheel on 18" wheels.

Also to clarify, bumpsteer is not an inherently BAD thing. It can be tuned to be a very beneficial thing - a bit more toe out under compression on turn-in can be helpful, and require less static toe. Giving the ability to tune for these things can really shave those .1's off your lap times. You just have to take the time to properly run the car through it's travel and adjust for what you think the car needs.
Thanks for the clarification. It always helps to the get the info straight from the horses mouth

MEGA Thread on THIS car:

Retired Cars BELOW:
Old 12-06-2021, 03:49 PM   #23
20Bluezl1

Drives: 2020 Zl1 A10 Riverside Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by spl_engineer View Post
So the reason that the design does not work with 18" wheels is inherent in the design of the knuckle. The pickup point for the tie rod end is pretty far from the center of the knuckle. This means the tie rod is already pretty close to the wheel to begin with because it is so offset. To be able to bumpsteer the vehicle, it requires you to move the tie rod placement up or down, depending on the characteristics you are looking for. If we wanted to give people ANY amount of adjustment, I had to make the stud a certain length, which is what we supply. We specifically say it will not work with 18" wheels for this reason on the website. It is unfortunate, as I know many people do run 18" wheels on track, but there just really isn't much room between the tie rod mounting location and the wheel on 18" wheels.

Also to clarify, bumpsteer is not an inherently BAD thing. It can be tuned to be a very beneficial thing - a bit more toe out under compression on turn-in can be helpful, and require less static toe. Giving the ability to tune for these things can really shave those .1's off your lap times. You just have to take the time to properly run the car through it's travel and adjust for what you think the car needs.
How about using them with 19" I know the OP said you need to remove the thick washers. Do you have any input on this?
20Bluezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 03:46 PM   #24
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Good to know, I just ordered these parts and I’m using 19 inch Apex wheels