Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-17-2024, 12:05 PM   #1
dreksnot
Served USN - Atomic Chimp

Drives: 13 Camaro LSX434 TT M6, 21 ZLE A10
Fueling Roadblocks WRT Horsepower

Coming from a +1,100rwhp 5th Gen Twin-Turbo LSX. Just picked up a ZL1 1LE A10. Had it on the road course within 22 hours of unloading off the delivery hauler. The car was incredible in the corners but on the straightaways I was left wanting.

THIS TIME, I would like to sensible add "more power!" (it used to be the always phrase with my 5th Gen). So, I am left with some questions:

How far (rwhp expectations) can I stretch the power without cracking open the motor (not camming it for fuel)?
> By adding a low-pressure voltage booster?
> By swapping LPFP with Katech twin-fuel? (I'm not in the fan realm of tapping fuel tank for aux fuel)
> By swapping LPFP with Katech twin-fuel and LPE/Katch HPFP?
> By adding flex-fuel into the equation - I'd prefer to run full pump E85 and not a blend for racing, but be able to put 91 octane in there puttering around on the street and road trips (just a true good E tune will do)
> And, then there's PI

I have similar goals for this 6th Gen that I had for the 5th Gen. I want a daily driver - weekend warrior (best of all worlds). I want to drag race, run the 1/2-mile, autocross and road course, plus be able to go to the grocery store, drive to work daily and take the car out on date night, not asking much...

I know how all this goes down. I "say" I just want a few more pony power but in reality it turns into a four-digit monster. THIS TIME, I think I really just want a stout but sensible daily driven because racecar.

PS: I've been snooping the Huron TT setup... I love the efficiency and ease (no belts or extra air/water cooling effects) of turbos (HP/boost ratio). I know turbos and have enough experience to be plenty dangerous. But I also know a ported LT4, 2650 or 3.0L can add HP easily with all the supports.

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
dreksnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 05:01 PM   #2
Sillysspeed

Drives: 98 Camaro
The Kong or Jokers race ports along with 103tb and e50 is a great combo on the zl1’s. You could do a jms and flex fuel sensor and see how you like it before you go ham. E50 is half pump gas and half e85. Easy to mix
Sillysspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 05:53 PM   #3
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
JMS on the low side. X port or Jokers ported blower. 2.38 upper. 103TB and big gulp intake. Headers. Catch Can. E40.

This will get you in the 700-725 rwhp ballpark. Depending on the dynoand tuner. E40 will be about all the E you can handle. But it will make more power on a 2.38 upper with E40 vs a 2.5 upper on E50.
Megahurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 11:44 AM   #4
dreksnot

I am moving my PM questions into this thread from asking Katech_Mike some questions offline as I think more submitting minds can help.

I appreciate his informative responses. When I've been asked about upgrades myself, I've always asked about targets - what's your HP and car use goals? Obviously, I'm wanting to increase my RWHP, so I think I need to nail down targets, like 850rwhp and 1,000rwhp (not a dyno queen but for use at the drag strip and road course). To slightly complicate matters, I'm at mile high elevations, so there's a 20% correction factor involved. I'm really targeting a system that can produce 1,000rwhp (at sea level) and 1,200 respectively. Lack of air (oxygen) up here sucks and losing a few pounds of boost goes with that. From scanning threads it appears around 1,000rwhp is about what a LT4 block can handle with a great tune (I presume crank and heads will live). Will I then need transmission upgrades and/or other driveline (driveshaft, axles, diff) mods?

Building up a SC system requires so many additional supporting items, like porting, LTH, heads, cam, TB, pulley and tensioners, heat exchangers and so on, not to mention belt slip and breakage... My 1st baby LS3 TT build just threw twins on and added more fuel (nothing extra required, no cam); gained 300rwhp easily and turbos had a lot of room left (still twin-fuel & BAP limited). Admittedly, I am biased toward turbos but I'm loving the instant, low end snap from the LT4.

And, learning this new LT4 platform is confusing to me. With those rwhp targets in mind, will I be _block, heads, cam limited_ going larger 2650 or 3.0L SC? If I add TT to the LT4 SC (compound boost), I need more fuel (that's where the - can I just strengthen the DI system enough or do I need to add PI) questions came about. Or, just pull the LT4 SC and go TT.

All these questions while trying to keep the car build as simple as possible (oxymoron). I've been HPTuning (self learned) my 1,359rwhp (corrected) E85 LSX TT so I understand some stuff. Just trying to figure out how fueling works on the LT4 platform and getting it right the first time.

So, breaking it down to this: What solid fueling route do I need to hit my rhwp goals?

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
Old 01-19-2024, 01:33 PM   #5
Katech_Mike

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreksnot View Post
I am moving my PM questions into this thread from asking Katech_Mike some questions offline as I think more submitting minds can help.

I appreciate his informative responses. When I've been asked about upgrades myself, I've always asked about targets - what's your HP and car use goals? Obviously, I'm wanting to increase my RWHP, so I think I need to nail down targets, like 850rwhp and 1,000rwhp (not a dyno queen but for use at the drag strip and road course). To slightly complicate matters, I'm at mile high elevations, so there's a 20% correction factor involved. I'm really targeting a system that can produce 1,000rwhp (at sea level) and 1,200 respectively. Lack of air (oxygen) up here sucks and losing a few pounds of boost goes with that. From scanning threads it appears around 1,000rwhp is about what a LT4 block can handle with a great tune (I presume crank and heads will live). Will I then need transmission upgrades and/or other driveline (driveshaft, axles, diff) mods?

Building up a SC system requires so many additional supporting items, like porting, LTH, heads, cam, TB, pulley and tensioners, heat exchangers and so on, not to mention belt slip and breakage... My 1st baby LS3 TT build just threw twins on and added more fuel (nothing extra required, no cam); gained 300rwhp easily and turbos had a lot of room left (still twin-fuel & BAP limited). Admittedly, I am biased toward turbos but I'm loving the instant, low end snap from the LT4.

And, learning this new LT4 platform is confusing to me. With those rwhp targets in mind, will I be _block, heads, cam limited_ going larger 2650 or 3.0L SC? If I add TT to the LT4 SC (compound boost), I need more fuel (that's where the - can I just strengthen the DI system enough or do I need to add PI) questions came about. Or, just pull the LT4 SC and go TT.

All these questions while trying to keep the car build as simple as possible (oxymoron). I've been HPTuning (self learned) my 1,359rwhp (corrected) E85 LSX TT so I understand some stuff. Just trying to figure out how fueling works on the LT4 platform and getting it right the first time.

So, breaking it down to this: What solid fueling route do I need to hit my rhwp goals?
To make a true 1,200RWHP at sea level you will need port injection and a Fore triple.
Katech_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 03:02 PM   #6
dreksnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katech_Mike View Post
To make a true 1,200RWHP at sea level you will need port injection and a Fore triple.
If I ease my HP target, what could the returnless Katech Dual-Fuel on full E85 (instead of a triple-fuel) yield me with a PI system roughly?

In excess of 1,000WHP
Old 01-19-2024, 03:22 PM   #7
Katech_Mike

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
If I ease my HP target, what could the returnless Katech Dual-Fuel on full E85 (instead of a triple-fuel) yield me with a PI system roughly?
With turbos you could probably stretch it to 1,050-1,100RWHP at sea level.
Katech_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 03:29 PM   #8
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Coming from a +1,100rwhp 5th Gen Twin-Turbo LSX. Just picked up a ZL1 1LE A10. Had it on the road course within 22 hours of unloading off the delivery hauler. The car was incredible in the corners but on the straightaways I was left wanting.

THIS TIME, I would like to sensible add "more power!" (it used to be the always phrase with my 5th Gen). So, I am left with some questions:

How far (rwhp expectations) can I stretch the power without cracking open the motor (not camming it for fuel)?
> By adding a low-pressure voltage booster?
> By swapping LPFP with Katech twin-fuel? (I'm not in the fan realm of tapping fuel tank for aux fuel)
> By swapping LPFP with Katech twin-fuel and LPE/Katch HPFP?
> By adding flex-fuel into the equation - I'd prefer to run full pump E85 and not a blend for racing, but be able to put 91 octane in there puttering around on the street and road trips (just a true good E tune will do)
> And, then there's PI

I have similar goals for this 6th Gen that I had for the 5th Gen. I want a daily driver - weekend warrior (best of all worlds). I want to drag race, run the 1/2-mile, autocross and road course, plus be able to go to the grocery store, drive to work daily and take the car out on date night, not asking much...

I know how all this goes down. I "say" I just want a few more pony power but in reality it turns into a four-digit monster. THIS TIME, I think I really just want a stout but sensible daily driven because racecar.

PS: I've been snooping the Huron TT setup... I love the efficiency and ease (no belts or extra air/water cooling effects) of turbos (HP/boost ratio). I know turbos and have enough experience to be plenty dangerous. But I also know a ported LT4, 2650 or 3.0L can add HP easily with all the supports.
The LT4 fuel system components with the addition of a JMS fuel system voltage booster can support nearly 850 RWHP on E10 gasoline on our Super Street Brawler package.

Low side system will not increase this number unless you can run 90 psi of fuel pressure or more.

The high side pump and injectors have a very hard limit injectors first then pump.

The LT4 engine can handle 1000 RWHP pretty easy.

The stock blower is good as long as you don't spin it faster.

Porting it doesn't help IAT and requires you spin it faster to take advantage of the porting then you are up against the Octane limits and poor intercooler efficiency.

Moving to a larger more efficient supercharger and intercooler set up i.e. the 2650 or 3.0 will allow you to run a tad more boost on pump gas without running up against the octane limits.

Proper cam helps this tremendously, we can easily run 13-15 psi boost on pump gas cam blower Header combo.

Road coarse use puts a whole other level of stress on everything so it must be done properly or you will run in to road blocks.

You should try my 125 Flex fuel road race package it turns the ZL1 1LE in to a supercar crusher.

Feel free to call me if you want to have a conversation about all of these subjects.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote