Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 05-15-2019, 04:04 PM   #1
CamaroGen6

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS
Stabilitrac refusing to stay off?

Can anyone provide input on what I'm doing wrong?

It feels like stabilitrac is not turning all the way off when doing 0-60s in my 2017 V6 2LT RS with A8. I found an empty, dry road to do these runs. I set both traction control and stabilitrac to off (by holding down traction control for 8 seconds). On the performance page in the instrument cluster I located the 0-60 counter. Once in position, I held brakes down and click "ready" on the cluster. While still holding brakes, I applied light gas to get the RPMs to about 2k. I then let go of the brakes and applied full throttle...

... The car starts to move as it climbed the RPMs of the first gear. There was the initial rubber burn caused by sending all this power to the real wheels which, I believe, caused the rear wheels to start to skid slightly to the right (nothing I couldn't correct with light steering to the left). But the car recognizes this skid and once the RPMs reached it's 7,200 redline for the first gear and switches to second, ALL gas input stops for about a second despite being at full throttle so that the car could even out. Once the car even out and stops burning rubber, acceleration resume (all of this within that one second). This, nonetheless, ruins my runs resulting in 6+ seconds 0-60s. The worst I've ever gotten. I tried again, and again and it wasn't until the 4th or 5th try when finally it would stop decreasing acceleration and just let me take off, with 5.4s being the best.

I know the wheel skid can either be caused by bad tires, weakness with open differential, or both. But decrease in acceleration has to be stabilitrac right? If so, what's another way I can temporary COMPLETELY disabled it?
Old 05-15-2019, 06:11 PM   #2
Riker

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Are you shifting the car or are you leaving it in auto?

When in manual mode, what can happen is that if you are shifting too late you are hitting the red line, the gas gets cut for a bit, the car shifts, and gas isn't allowed back for a moment and this feels like traction control stepping in for a moment.

Also, you shouldn't have to hold for 8 seconds. I think it only takes about 4-5 seconds.
TRBTXD
8/9/16 - 2000 - New order placed
8/10/16 - 3000
~8/16/16 - 3400
9/20/16 - 6000 Delivered to Customer (That's me)
Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:24 AM   #3
CamaroGen6

I left it in auto.
Also, last week Chevy dealership loaned me a 2019 V6 1LT and I did some runs at the same spot, yet this car managed to consistently get 5.3 seconds. But then again this 1LT with different tires (non run flats, 18in) so I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it.
And I may have over counted how long I held down the traction control button, but they we're both set off as both lights indicated on the instrumental cluster.
I'll try again in manual mode to if it makes a difference.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:04 AM   #4
CamaroGen6

Update: it must of been the road I was on. Just tried a 0-60 on a different road type and got 5.3s on the first run. Also I'm about to order some new tires so hopefully I get better traction once it's set up.

I'll refrain on blaming stabilitrac for descreased acceleration for now until I can eliminate all other factors.

Mod can you delete this post please?
Old 05-16-2019, 05:56 AM   #5
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGen6 View Post
...the rear wheels to start to skid slightly to the right (nothing I couldn't correct with light steering to the left).
Get your car aligned and check your tires. When these cars are set up properly on a clean level surface, you the car will go straight when both tires spin.

When the back end slides sideways and you give it steering input to correct, the nannies kick in and put the car into Don'tBeAMustang mode. But if you really want to try your luck you can put the car in Sport or Track and hold down the button for 7+ seconds to turn it all off... (both lights come on at the same time) ...then you'll be in MustangCrowdEatingMode. But without fixing that loose caboose you're likely to lose control of the car.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
0-60, stabilitrac, traction