Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

AWE Tuning

Old 12-17-2017, 01:33 PM   #1
4mulafastech

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
First oil change, cut-open filter.

Decided to change the oil at 570 miles. Went with Amsoil Signature Series 5W-30 full synthetic and used a Wix 57060XP filter.

I also changed the oil drain plug to a magnetic plug by Dimple Products. Right when we got the car I put four Super Black Hole magnets on the oil filter. These are very strong neodymium magnets.
Attached Images

4mulafastech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 01:39 PM   #2
4mulafastech

Here is the original filter cut-open. There were a few slivers of metal and some smaller particles, but not much. The largest one is in the middle of the picture.

The inside of the can had areas of a metal sludge of very fine particles where the four small magnets were on the filter.
Attached Images

Old 12-17-2017, 01:41 PM   #3
4mulafastech

Went for a nice run to warm up the fresh oil really good, did a final cleaning and she is put to bed for the winter. Can't wait until spring!
Attached Images

Old 12-17-2017, 03:22 PM   #4
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Great info!

Where did you find the Dimple Products plug?
Old 12-17-2017, 04:40 PM   #5
4mulafastech

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post
Great info!

Where did you find the Dimple Products plug?
Thanks! I got the drain plug and oil filter magnets here---> http://www.drainplugmagnets.com

I also got magnetic fill and drain plugs for my TR6060 transmission from them. Will install them next year when I change the trans fluid.

Last edited by 4mulafastech; 12-17-2017 at 07:00 PM.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:21 PM   #6
waterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mulafastech View Post
Thanks! I got the drain plug and oil filter magnet here---> http://www.drainplugmagnets.com

I also got magnetic fill and drain plugs for my TR6060 transmission from them. Will install them next year when I change the trans fluid.
Thanks, appreciated!
Old 12-17-2017, 08:50 PM   #7
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Thanks! I got the drain plug and oil filter magnets here---> http://www.drainplugmagnets.com

I also got the Dimple engine oil drain plug as well as trans drain and fill plugs. I haven't drained either fluid since I installed them, but they seem like very high quality magnetic plugs.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 04:22 AM   #8
Soleil

Drives: Camaro 50th anniversary edition
Quote:
Decided to change the oil at 570 miles. Went with Amsoil Signature Series 5W-30 full synthetic and used a Wix 57060XP filter.

I also changed the oil drain plug to a magnetic plug by Dimple Products. Right when we got the car I put four Super Black Hole magnets on the oil filter. These are very strong neodymium magnets.
I like the plug but what if you change the oil next time? Do you have a spare O-Ring?
2. You just put 4 Neodymium magnets around the oil filter? Smart idea.
Soleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 10:09 PM   #9
4mulafastech

Yes, they sent a few o-ring gaskets with the drain plug. You can get several uses out of each one just like the stock plug too.

Old 12-18-2017, 10:15 PM   #10
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I just changed my filter today, was a year old because I only had 4000 miles on the car, and cut it up, I won’t put up any pictures because there was nothing to see. So I Musta got out everything in the first oil change at 1000 miles, a month or two, after I had the car.

Used Mobil 1 5w-30 and the ac delco filter.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:40 PM   #11
4mulafastech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
I just changed my filter today, was a year old because I only had 4000 miles on the car, and cut it up, I won’t put up any pictures because there was nothing to see. So I Musta got out everything in the first oil change at 1000 miles, a month or two, after I had the car.

Used Mobil 1 5w-30 and the ac delco filter.
Good to hear there was nothing to see! I’m hoping for the same at the next oil change.

Man, this winter will sure feel longer than normal with the Camaro sitting idle. The temperature around here is going down to 5F tonight!

Old 12-27-2017, 09:48 AM   #12
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
We commended you for actually doing this! Now most can see why you do NOT want to leave that factory fill in any longer than 500 miles. The filter only traps the larger micron sized debris, and the rest would still be circulating through the engine causing premature wear and possible damage. Using a great premium full synthetic like Amsoil and a good filter is cheap insurance as well.

Assembly debris is always present as well as casting flash and the filings from ring seating.

Now get one of our catchcan systems installed and your on the way to a long and happy engine life.

Cheers!

Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:05 PM   #13
waterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Engineering View Post
We commended you for actually doing this! Now most can see why you do NOT want to leave that factory fill in any longer than 500 miles. The filter only traps the larger micron sized debris, and the rest would still be circulating through the engine causing premature wear and possible damage. Using a great premium full synthetic like Amsoil and a good filter is cheap insurance as well.

Assembly debris is always present as well as casting flash and the filings from ring seating.

Now get one of our catchcan systems installed and your on the way to a long and happy engine life.

Cheers!

I'm still waiting on my build, rest assured that an Elite Engineering CC will be my first mod.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:48 AM   #14
4mulafastech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Engineering View Post

Cheers!

Thanks! I hope the next oil change will show much less debris.

Regarding the catch can, Ummm... I already have one... I decided on the kit made by UPR. If I may, I will share with you why I went that direction.

I definitely appreciate you being very active on the forums and educating all on the need for a catch can, and the Elite Engineering catch can design looks very effective, but there were a couple things that swayed me to the UPR kit.

I liked that their mounting system is very simple and clean and uses an existing bolt hole on the firewall. Their website has pictures showing the mounting system specific to the Camaro SS. I suggest EE do the same and show mounting systems specific to each model.

I also like the factory style push on hose connectors (just like the bypass hose that was removed) and the braided style Continental hose.

The UPR separator is an impressive design similar to the EE design.

Hope this first hand feedback is helpful to EE.
Attached Images