Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-27-2020, 09:19 PM   #1
greg0ry

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1LE
Service questions!

Hey guys, I gots a 19 SS 1LE with around 11K miles on it. I never track it, I go on canyon runs here and there. I think it's about time to get some service done on it. So far I've gotten an oil change and new tires but I want to get whatever else needs to be done.

Transmission fluid? I think that's at like 30k or something, no?

Differential fluid? Pretty sure I should do that.

Alignment? What exactly is this? Where should I do it? I hear for a 1LE it's sort of a special case and I should not have just anyone do it. Not even a random Chevy dealer, or what/where would you recommend?

What else should I do service-wise to keep the car in tip-top shape??

Thanks as always =).
greg0ry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:24 PM   #2
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg0ry View Post
Hey guys, I gots a 19 SS 1LE with around 11K miles on it. I never track it, I go on canyon runs here and there. I think it's about time to get some service done on it. So far I've gotten an oil change and new tires but I want to get whatever else needs to be done.

Transmission fluid? I think that's at like 30k or something, no?

Differential fluid? Pretty sure I should do that.

Alignment? What exactly is this? Where should I do it? I hear for a 1LE it's sort of a special case and I should not have just anyone do it. Not even a random Chevy dealer, or what/where would you recommend?

What else should I do service-wise to keep the car in tip-top shape??

Thanks as always =).
I believe the following is recommended (not necessarily required):

500 miles - Oil & Differential fluid change
1,500 miles - Oil & Differential fluid change
5,000 miles - Oil Change
8,000 miles - Oil & Differential fluid change
11,000 miles - Oil Change
14,000 miles - Oil & Differential fluid change

I have ALWAYS gone by the philosophy, fluids are cheap, components are NOT! Has served me VERY well on all of my vehicles...

I plan to follow the above in my 2020 2SS A10... (It currently has 91 miles on it...)
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:31 PM   #3
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
I believe the following is recommended (not necessarily required):

500 miles - Oil & Differential fluid change
1,500 miles - Oil & Differential fluid change
5,000 miles - Oil Change
8,000 miles - Oil & Differential fluid change
11,000 miles - Oil Change
14,000 miles - Oil & Differential fluid change

I have ALWAYS gone by the philosophy, fluids are cheap, components are NOT! Has served me VERY well on all of my vehicles...

I plan to follow the above in my 2020 2SS A10... (It currently has 91 miles on it...)
Words of wisdom!

OP: diff fluid would be your prime concern here, but id do tranny too. Depending on how hard you push in the canyons id consider higher temp brake fluid perhaps.
As to alignment, depending who the tech is, it can be done at a dealer. But best to do it at a race shop. If you dont track the car id put what GM recommends for track using stock bolts (vs maxing the front camber beyond their recommendations). Check the High Performance Supplement for details. Note the fluid interval changes are for normal duty. Note that 80% of regular vehicles do severe duty with owners not even realizing it. If you push the car on canyon runs, etc chuck what's in the manual for normal duty outta window.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:41 PM   #4
Uncle Sam

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE Hyper Blue
As to the alignment, the specs are in the 1LE supplemental book. They are streetable and I had my dealer do it. There are threads about the "bolt on the front strut part of the alignment" on this site if you want to provide that to your dealer. More camber on the front is good for turn in, even on the street.

Fluid changes with no tracking should be straight forward and the schedule in the owner's manual. It's a Chevy and robust and doesn't need extreme maintenance for the street.

BTW, the driveline warranty is 5 years, so there is that.
Uncle Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:58 PM   #5
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sam View Post
As to the alignment, the specs are in the 1LE supplemental book. They are streetable and I had my dealer do it. There are threads about the "bolt on the front strut part of the alignment" on this site if you want to provide that to your dealer. More camber on the front is good for turn in, even on the street.

Fluid changes with no tracking should be straight forward and the schedule in the owner's manual. It's a Chevy and robust and doesn't need extreme maintenance for the street.

BTW, the driveline warranty is 5 years, so there is that.
Regular highway driving is considered normal duty.
City driving with frequent stops and idling is considered severe duty. So is driving in hot or cold temps. Or dusty environment. Etc.
If somebody flogs the car in the canyons, that aint normal duty either. Agree, the warranty is excellent, but i have always believed frequent fluid changes is a small price to pay for extra insurance and longevity of components. But that's me. Cheers!
Old 01-28-2020, 12:18 AM   #6
Uncle Sam

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE Hyper Blue
Dear Track Club,
Always value your advice as you track more than anyone and have experimented with this car more than anyone but GM. I was writing when your post appeared, so my post just happen to follow on yours; I didn't see it before I posted.

The differential works hard in most environments, so fluid changes there makes sense. I don't know how fast people are running around canyons, but if they are doing half of the acceleration and braking of a 20 minute track session, they should probably go to the track. Even at high altitude, I can't see that boiling the brake fluid with street/canyon driving is likely with our brake system. Just my opinion, nothing but individual experience to back it up.
Uncle Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 09:44 AM   #7
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sam View Post
Dear Track Club,
Always value your advice as you track more than anyone and have experimented with this car more than anyone but GM. I was writing when your post appeared, so my post just happen to follow on yours; I didn't see it before I posted.

The differential works hard in most environments, so fluid changes there makes sense. I don't know how fast people are running around canyons, but if they are doing half of the acceleration and braking of a 20 minute track session, they should probably go to the track. Even at high altitude, I can't see that boiling the brake fluid with street/canyon driving is likely with our brake system. Just my opinion, nothing but individual experience to back it up.
I am flattered by your comments - thank you! I do track the car more than average, but no doubt there are others here that far exceed my funometer quota Apart from trying a few different consumables, ive kept the car bone stock - as that was my primary purpose for replacing my track C5Z. Slippery and fast slope to end up with a trailer again

In any case, you may be very correct about the brake fluid. Another consideration is that high temp fluids absorb moisture faster, so they need more frequent changes. Outside of a race track environment, it is hard to predict how hard folks push their cars. Little experience here, except for taking a friend's GT350 on a day long run in Arizona, up and down the twisties. The car did fine bone stock, but i wasnt pushing it very hard and given the rates of some descents and zero safe options if brakes got soft, id upgrade the fluid - if it were my regular hobby.
Even a better DOT3 fluid, like Willwood Racing, would offer a nice security blanket, likely for no price premium over stock?

But, given you have much first hand experience in this regard and i have very little, i definitely respect your recommendation. Cheers!