Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-20-2009, 09:07 PM   #155
nfamous209

Drives: 2002 Camaro z28
Send a message via AIM to nfamous209 Send a message via Yahoo to nfamous209
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodimus prime View Post
See now if I would of waited I probably would of went with the New Era due to the fact that Id get the car tuned anyways. But seeing as I already have a roto-fab, I dont think I will miss those few hp now. Im still curious to see what vararam has. And I think that 2ss and this patrick guy are one and the same...kind of like some Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hyde thing. He has to wait for the moon to come out before he can post as "patrick".

I kid, I kid.
so ur not impressed w/ new era's since it showed atleast 2+whp and wtq gain over ur rotofab? across the entire board.

i'd actually would love to see dyno graphs of the results. showing the gains across the board. that will show more, as well as the air fuel ratio's.
nfamous209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:40 PM   #156
live2well

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS/RS A6
MR. TED , thanks for your time and the info..
Old 10-20-2009, 09:46 PM   #157
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
So can anbody tell me which CAI was the best and worst preforming in the test results. I think I know just checking.
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:49 PM   #158
kelleyperformance

Drives: DD- 15' Chevy SS Sedan
it seems to me like the main reasons for any variation greater than 1-2 hp is simply due to placement of the MAF, and modification of A/F ratio. IMO if these were all teseted WITH their own tune, all with generally close IATs would be almost exactly the same hp/tq. they all have similar high flow filters (knit pick, but they are generally the same on an NA engine like this not drawing all that much air) and, that being said, it wont even be a large improvement seeing as the stock box gives reliable IATs.

it would really just come down to one's favorite fit and design according to which one to buy, obviously excluding intakes with noticably higher IATs

just my .02
Old 10-20-2009, 10:02 PM   #159
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleyperformance View Post
it seems to me like the main reasons for any variation greater than 1-2 hp is simply due to placement of the MAF, and modification of A/F ratio. IMO if these were all teseted WITH their own tune, all with generally close IATs would be almost exactly the same hp/tq. they all have similar high flow filters (knit pick, but they are generally the same on an NA engine like this not drawing all that much air) and, that being said, it wont even be a large improvement seeing as the stock box gives reliable IATs.

it would really just come down to one's favorite fit and design according to which one to buy, obviously excluding intakes with noticably higher IATs

just my .02
I don't think is so much the filters but the boxes that made the difference.

With similar to stock fuel trims and a larger than stock air filter, High flow cotton gauze style, and smoother path for air to travel and a Large SEALED air box to the outside air source, there are some significant gains to be had at 10 + HP and TQ for the Dollar.

Fuel trims Are very representative of how well the system is designed as well as the MAF calibration, we started with -3% as a baseline so subract that number from the others and you start to see a better picture.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:04 PM   #160
JProberts

Drives: 2SS RJT RS/Sunroof
Quote:

just my .02
So what benefit does one really get replacing the stock system with any one of these CAI units?

Is there a benefit in getting a CAI if your adding a supercharger or smething as oppossed to keeping it stock? May have aske this before, sorry if I have.

Just wondering
JProberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:04 PM   #161
pharmd
Master of Medicine

Drives: 4th Gen
Its a shame we can't run them on the track, that is the ultimate test anyway...too many variable to extrapolate though...

I think the clear message here is, don't worry about which intake your getting, just get one, because the stock setup sucks...especially if you are making BIG power.

Alot of this is splitting hairs...if your after that last 10th then get a NE, Fastlane or ADM...otherwise just get whatever, or better yet, make one yourself.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:05 PM   #162
Mod4SS
Resident Expert

Drives: Supercharged 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
This is for all of you that think that i dont know what i am say, This is a Dyno pull from a stock LS3 and it "D1BADZ" car not my car as you can see it goes down at WOT to 9.5 to 1 AFM on the pull this is why he and you will not get all the power out of your CAI, See pic and good luck to you all.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:05 PM   #163
kelleyperformance

when are you taking the fuel trims?
Old 10-20-2009, 10:08 PM   #164
kelleyperformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by JProberts View Post
So what benefit does one really get replacing the stock system with any one of these CAI units?

Is there a benefit in getting a CAI if your adding a supercharger or smething as oppossed to keeping it stock? May have aske this before, sorry if I have.

Just wondering
yes most all of these help mantain better IATs and ALL will out flow the stock setup... and the more air being taken in (supercharger, turbo, etc) the more benefit you will see
Old 10-20-2009, 10:12 PM   #165
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
when are you taking the fuel trims?
After install of each kit and clearing Fuel trims, they were data logged during a loaded drive cycle up through the gears several times, cruise and acceleration and deceleration rolling in and out of the throttle and Idle.

These cars learn faster than anything I have ever seen in past, thankfully because this test could have taken a lot longer with older cars.

Ted.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:17 PM   #166
kelleyperformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
After install of each kit and clearing Fuel trims, they were data logged during a loaded drive cycle up through the gears several times, cruise and acceleration and deceleration rolling in and out of the throttle and Idle.

These cars learn faster than anything I have ever seen in past, thankfully because this test could have taken a lot longer with older cars.

Ted.
gotcha. it seems to me alot of confusion in here about the fuel trims being related with the WOT runs... wanted to make sure we are all on the same page. great results btw
Old 10-20-2009, 10:19 PM   #167
Tomato
G-Force Addict

Drives: 2010 SS/RS A6
Ted: Can you let us know what order you ran the CAI's in? Curious...Thanks.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:21 PM   #168
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomato View Post
Ted: Can you let us know what order you ran the CAI's in? Curious...Thanks.
The order they are on the spread sheet.