Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

AWE Tuning

Old 05-25-2017, 11:03 PM   #1
BasicCable

Drives: 2017 Camaro
2 months in and I'm terrified of using my Camaro. The car randomly restarted on stop.

I was driving my 2 month old 2000 mile Camaro 2017 RS/V6 to work today and while on a stoplight it suddenly sort of restarted. It was weird. All instruments (fuel/speedometer/radio/etc) shutoff. I don't even know if the engine did too. It happened so suddenly but I know I didn't push the ignition button AT ALL. They all came back right before the light turned green and I just continued as normal for a bit until I was able to park safely at work.

So now I'm kinda terrified about having to use it tomorrow since it's a 30 min drive on a highway. I wouldn't even know what to do if it happens there.

Is this a known issue? What the hell do I even tell the dealership when reporting it? And yeah I'm probably going to end up there until Saturday. I can't take the day off work and it's too late to even ask for it.
BasicCable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 05:13 AM   #2
maraging

Drives: 15 1ss 1le
So it died then restarted on its own? If so start a haunted car vlog.
maraging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:26 AM   #3
Jerry's 2LT

Drives: 2LT, Blue Velvet, Kalahari, Convert
My guess is this is the same thing that happened to me many times with my 2016. If it's the same thing, your center display goes black and the USB ports shut off. After a few seconds the dash display acts as it does when first starting up, namely the two main gauges do the "sweep" and the center display comes back up. Rest easy though as the engine, etc. all continue to work properly. It is just the display and USB ports that are temporarily affected.

The first time it happened to me I was driving down a mountain on a twisty road! Needless to say the first thing I tested were the brakes.

Now the bad news (or good). During one 20 minute drive this happened 3 times. I took the car to my dealer where they kept it for a day and put 28 miles on it only to tell me that they couldn't get it to re-occur. Funny thing is, it somehow fixed itself because the dealer claims that they didn't do a thing. Some dealers think we are idiots I guess. All I know is they would not admit fixing it. It's been a year since I took it to them and it hasn't happened even once whereas before the visit it was happening every time I drove the car.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:52 AM   #4
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Disconnect the negative battery cable overnight or a few hours. Then reconnect, you won't lose any major settings, should clear the ECU fo you.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:33 AM   #5
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
And while doing such check all battery connections and the ground to assure they are tight.
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 04:40 PM   #6
pjz1082

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
I doubt the motor cycled off and on by itself. Have not heard of that. Probably an electronics glitch as others have suggested.
pjz1082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:30 PM   #7
MGD

Drives: 16 Camaro SS
Check your front fuse box and push all fuses down. They sit loose. Happened to me also, after pushing all the fuses in, no more problems.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:39 PM   #8
Keifer
Summit White 2SS

Drives: 2017 Summit White 2SS, 2018 Tahoe
I doubt the engine stopped and restarted, however if the IPC (and possibly other electronic components) experienced a loss of communication, the IPC will "WOW" and the gauges will sweep when communication was restored. It is similar to when you start your car, they do an initial gauge sweep. I'm sure the dealership will find lost communication codes if they scan the vehicle.

Old 05-26-2017, 07:41 PM   #9
BasicCable

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry's 2LT View Post
My guess is this is the same thing that happened to me many times with my 2016. If it's the same thing, your center display goes black and the USB ports shut off. After a few seconds the dash display acts as it does when first starting up, namely the two main gauges do the "sweep" and the center display comes back up. Rest easy though as the engine, etc. all continue to work properly. It is just the display and USB ports that are temporarily affected.

The first time it happened to me I was driving down a mountain on a twisty road! Needless to say the first thing I tested were the brakes.

Now the bad news (or good). During one 20 minute drive this happened 3 times. I took the car to my dealer where they kept it for a day and put 28 miles on it only to tell me that they couldn't get it to re-occur. Funny thing is, it somehow fixed itself because the dealer claims that they didn't do a thing. Some dealers think we are idiots I guess. All I know is they would not admit fixing it. It's been a year since I took it to them and it hasn't happened even once whereas before the visit it was happening every time I drove the car.
That actually describes it perfectly. I hope it's this because at least I know it's not immediate danger/death if it happens again. Going to go to the dealership tomorrow to get it checked hopefully. The darn place is 20~ miles from me though. Hope I make it fine.
BasicCable is offline   Reply With Quote