Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-10-2016, 05:12 PM   #351
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
I think some 5th Gen SS owners are feeling a bit insecure right now, lol!! I have a 2010 2SS/RS. And from the looks of it, the standard 6th Gen SS will outperform my car. The 1LE SS version of the 6th Gen Camaro will put a whuppin on my car. But...I gotta say, it isn't enough to make me trade in...or buy one. I'm waiting to see what they offer in way of a ZL1. On top of looking at some heavy hitters like the Hellcat and the 2013-2014 GT500. If the 6th Gen ZL1 or some variation or replacement of it comes out swinging for the fences, then I'll bite. But its gonna have to have some mega hp. Either way, the 6th Gens look nice and are gonna offer a whole new level of performance. Can't wait to see what they do on the track and in the streets.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:16 PM   #352
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingagain View Post
I am glad I did not wait for the 1LE. Not a DD car like some had hoped for. I do not like different color body panels unless it is real carbon fiber and then you just see the inside of the part, out side color matched. It has some good features mainly the HUD and Ediff. For me will not make any difference. I am glad they released the Tire sizes as I wanted to copy the wheel and tire sizes although I was hoping they made them square.
You're right it is not the most DD friendly, and never was intended to be. The black hood BTW is just a vinyl wrap done after the car has been painted entirely, and a few 1LE owners peeled theirs off with ease. I think that may be more common this year, I am not sure yet. I just think it looked better last Gen, but it is functional.

On the square setup, unless you mean for ease of rotation etc, I would not worry about it. The 6th Gen must respond better to a staggered step up, or they would be square for sure.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:22 PM   #353
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The more I look at this thing, the less MRC matters to me. Dammit GM, why do you do this to me?

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:23 PM   #354
Chad0311
Likes V8 powered vehicles

Drives: '16 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax
Man... If this thing is close to the same price as a 2SS it's a no-brainer.

Plus the only 2 things I was hoping for in 17 were Green and Suede package. Now you can get a 1SS with HUD and suede/leather trimmed recaros? Do want.
Chad0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:24 PM   #355
Callaway Chris

Drives: Callaway Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by 233 View Post
Wait...1SS only?
Remembering the premise of the original 4 cars in 1988, they were all supposed to have crank windows. Most did, but it was always intended to be a light weight racer.
Callaway Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:31 PM   #356
DanSS24

Drives: Dream Cars in my head
Totally loving this. I want one...at until the Z comes out.

Wishful thinking...but I sure can dream big.
DanSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:33 PM   #357
thefirstcause

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS, 2009 Mazda6 GT V6
No auto... well shit. That was the primary thing keep me from a 5th gen 1LE and I loved that look. I think the new auto 8 is incredible and there is no way I'm not having it. So it is either an SS with some performance upgrade or ZL1 if I plan my money right, haha.
thefirstcause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:38 PM   #358
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
Bose speaker grills on the LT 1LE....
The V6 1LE package is offered on both 1LTs, and 2LTs...the green car is a 2LT/RS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor142 View Post
Just cause we want a great track car doesn't mean we can all throw around an extra few grand. I'm calling it a fail if the 1LE package more than doubles in price. It's a stripped track car. Not a luxury GT model.
Quote:
Not everyone who wants to track the car has super deep pockets. An extra 2g's is a couple sets of tires. I'm not saying the car is a bad deal at 45. Just saying a 1ss 1le going from 37k to 45k stings a little.
And two track days will set you back about $600 in admission, $300 in gas, $200 in hotel expenses (if you don't live close), and $2500 in one set of tires and brakes....Folks need to realize how expensive this hobby is, before getting into it. Or else, give up another hobby to pursue this one. (It is gobs of fun. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvfjet View Post
Man this sounds like 44k-45k car. What GM will say "still $5k cheaper than a gt350!"
$12,000...when you consider the base GT350 doesn't come with any track equipment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
The V6 1LE punches higher than the Mustang turbo with PP. Heck, I'd wager money that the standard V6 would run right around (slighter worse or better) the Ecoboost PP on the track.

Lets not let the Ford boys think the V6 Camaro needs 1LE to run with the Ecoboost PP. My opinion, but I feel that would be a inaccurate statement.

If it outperforms the base GT350 (likely), with more standard interior equipment, what kind of fail does that make the base GT350 for 50K???
Al says the V6 1LE runs with the last generation SS around a track. I'd say that puts the V6 1LE at a similar level with the standard GT...let alone "ecoboost track pack". Ford's track packs have been colossal under performers since last generation. That's why no magazine tests them, and instead finds the need to pit a 2SS against a GT350...

The base GT350 completely confuses me...in equipment...in price...in existence. The 38,000 1SS will more than likely survive more laps in a row on a road course than the base GT350. It has NO COOLERS...no track equipment but it's engine...which will overwork the brakes, transmission, and diff in no time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis43 View Post
It wont out perform the GT350. If we are going by the last comparison tests where the GT350 was only 2 second slower than the z28
I don't think anybody has released track times for the standard GT350...since the "R" model has R-compound tires, I wouldn't expect the 1LE to perform as well...but - 3 seconds faster than a 6th gen SS is ages...this car will likely make beat the standard GT350.

Remember, the standard GT350 does NOT have Mag Ride, does NOT have any coolers, it does NOT have stiffer front springs (likely for heavy braking)...the 1LE has all of that, standard.

So...I'd wager to say that the 1LE will beat a GT350TP!!!

But there's more to the story...it's not about hero lap times...it's about feel and repeatability...durability....the 1LE is Track Ready, and Chevrolet's history with this suggests they will support the car and its warranty should it not perform, or break down while going around the track.

Ford explicitly stated last generation that they wouldn't do that. I haven't read that that attitude has changed.

Quote:
The 5th gen 1LE ran a 1:22.xx at Willow Springs with Randy Pobst. If the 6th gen SS is faster, the 6th gen 1LE should be low 1:19.xx or even 1:18.xx.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis43 View Post
Its like they are intentionally skipping over these posts involving requests for pictures of the seats... Maybe they aren't allowed to? Not a final design?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMMIT WHITE SS View Post
No Recaro seat pics yet?!

Also you can see the suede steering wheel, looks like suede trim on the armrest too.
Poor luck?

We weren't allowed to take pictures at the preview event. I think you'll have to wait for the actual show to get candid pictures of the seats.

The door trim is 1SS, black plastic, not suede or leather.

Quote:
I keep seeing this. Show me a 6th gen 1ss running with a 5th gen 1LE on a tight track like laguna seca and I'll believe it. Same driver same day. On a long high speed track I bet the 6th gen absolutely wins with more hp and lighter weight. I'm not convinced it outperforms the 1LE in every situation.
Al Oppenheiser said it does. Al Oppenheiser does not have a history of foot-in-mouth syndrome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drm2Reality View Post
based on the pics above...the seats do not impress! 5th gen recaro's and t350 reeker's look much better!
It's not about how they look, or (with all due respect) you're missing the point...they FEEL way better...so much more support than even the great last generation seats.

Quote:
Do you have any proof of that? I've never seen any instrumented testing that shows MRC offers substantial performance over a track oriented standard damper.

I'm not saying it doesn't. I've just never seen a test where it was actually compared.
Quote:
The more I look at this thing, the less MRC matters to me. Dammit GM, why do you do this to me?
You will turn...you know you want to.

Look on the bright side...you could always leave it in sport/track mode and never change it back. Meanwhile, the dampers are still adjusting and doing their magic - just, for track/sporty purposes.

I read your note about replacement cost. It is true, they're pricey...but they have less moving parts than a regular damper. No valves to wear down or break...so it's possible they last longer.

I would encourage you to sleep on it a while...and perhaps test drive one. Unless MRC is truly a detriment to something you're going to do with it - I think you'll find you like it after a while. True track capability AND daily comfort can't be a bad thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
On the square setup, unless you mean for ease of rotation etc, I would not worry about it. The 6th Gen must respond better to a staggered step up, or they would be square for sure.
I asked about that, and while there were no track-eating engineers on hand, I was told that the car doesn't understeer like the last generation did, among other dynamic differences, so a square setup didn't provide as much benefit as yesteryear.

They've done a square tire setup in the past, when it was necessary. If it were necessary, I imagine they would have done it again...but they didn't.

Also consider the ELSD's magical ability to vector torque at any instant. You could run drag skinnies up front, and it might not understeer with that piece of equipment..

EDIT: To all the folks thanking me for posting - you're welcome, but please thank Chevy and the Camaro team, as well. They invited representatives from the forum, among a mere 50 or so people (total) present for this preview. They truly to consider YOU, the enthusiast, an asset to their operation. And it was humbling to be there, to represent you, and I'm glad to be able to bring this information and answers to questions to our membership.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:05 PM   #359

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Will we ever get to know the actual Big Willow lap times of the SS and the SS1LE?....or will the "3 second" difference be it?....

(Yours truly ran a 1:44 lap in my 2011 SS...lol)
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:09 PM   #360
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Will we ever get to know the actual Big Willow lap times of the SS and the SS1LE?....or will the "3 second" difference be it?....

(Yours truly ran a 1:44 lap in my 2011 SS...lol)
Performance numbers are forthcoming is all they would say.

I don't know which tracks they're going to quote, though. It appeared the 1LE ran some testing runs at Nurburgring. And with all the equipment they've packed into the car, I'd be curious to know how it did there. ZL1 ran a 7:41 (I think), and the Z/28 did it in 7:37 (wet)...
Old 02-10-2016, 06:13 PM   #361
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
You will turn...you know you want to.

Look on the bright side...you could always leave it in sport/track mode and never change it back. Meanwhile, the dampers are still adjusting and doing their magic - just, for track/sporty purposes.

I read your note about replacement cost. It is true, they're pricey...but they have less moving parts than a regular damper. No valves to wear down or break...so it's possible they last longer.

I would encourage you to sleep on it a while...and perhaps test drive one. Unless MRC is truly a detriment to something you're going to do with it - I think you'll find you like it after a while. True track capability AND daily comfort can't be a bad thing...
I don't hate MRC, I just don't feel like I need it on my car. The price of replacement is one issue. Another is I enjoy working on my car and, with how integrated the MRC is, I feel like that option is taken away from me somewhat.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:17 PM   #362

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
The V-6 1LE I believe is a smart move....and probably the will enjoy a lot of success at auto-x and short tracks like the "Streets" of Willow...

Not complaining, but it seems like the Camaro I-4 is turning into the unwanted step-child...
Perhaps a track package for it in '17 as well?
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:39 PM   #363
DP Valentino

Drives: 2010 CGM Chevrolet Camaro LS
The V6 1LE at 3500 pounds maybe a fun little toy once you added a few aftermarket mods like:

- CAI
- Ported Throttle Body
- High Flow Cats
-Tune

I just maybe looking into getting one next year!
DP Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:39 PM   #364
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Nice write up Mr Wyndham! This almost makes me want to trade in the Vette next year. Can't wait to see pricing!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2016 camaro, 2016 camaro 1le, 2017 camaro, 2017 camaro 1le, 6th gen camaro 1le, camaro 1le, camaro 1le 6th gen, camaro forum, camaro forums