Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 06-27-2017, 06:43 PM   #15
Snrub

Drives: Gone: 2017 Camaro SS
I didn't realize it had adjustable spring perches! Wow. The adjustable camber is cool too.

This car almost fits into a new category (perhaps the Viper ACR was already in it). Insurance companies often/typically don't allow for coverage of cars with "modified" suspension. This really isn't any different. If you someone made extreme erroneous adjustments to their spring perches and camber, there could be safety concerns from an insurance company perspective.

We don't know right now, but I don't think the springs are different between various Camaros with the same suspension type and different engines. We know the V6 1LE was only greenlighted for production if there were "no new part numbers." You have a 300lbs weight difference, but that's <10%. Can you really tell if your front suspension is suddenly 10% stiffer? It might ride 1/4" higher. In the case of the ZL1 1LE setup, you may be able to resolve any such difference with the adjustable spring perches.

Last edited by Snrub; 06-28-2017 at 10:08 AM.
Snrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:18 AM   #16
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
The more I read about this suspension, the more I want these on my car. It sounds like they spent tremendous amount of time designing the whole suspension and handling of this car with Race ABS, aluminium bushings, custom calibrated E-diff..etc..etc

Quote:
Damper Dan

The other half of the chassis performance comes from Canadian supplier Multimatic in the form of aluminum-bodied spool-valve dampers. Not only do they provide an elegant and passive way to vary damping force, the inverted struts provide a means to achieve race-car-like negative camber at the front end. Via a trick method to switch back and forth between street and track settings, the ball-jointed and forged-aluminum top mounts of the front struts are adjustable to increase negative camber by 1.7 degrees. To set the car to track camber, jack one corner, remove an alignment pin in the wheel well and the three bolts at the top of the strut tower under the matte-black hood, twist the top mount 180 degrees (it has a dual bolt pattern), reattach, and—voilā—instant camber. Combined with fairly common eccentric alignment bolts, the ZL1 1LE can have as much as 3.7 degrees of negative front camber, although Chevy recommends negative 2.7 on the track.

The four dampers together are about 23 pounds lighter than the 2014–2015 Z/28’s steel-bodied dampers. The rear subframe and its multilink suspension are insulated, if you want to call it that, by aluminum pucks, and the rear anti-roll bar is adjustable to three positions. Locking down the rear end and firming up the front communicates every crack in the road and even the slightest variation in lateral thrust with a sniper’s precision.

All of this variability was engineered into the car to allow owners to fine-tune their Camaros to their home tracks. At the Jacques Villeneuve–designed Area 27 in British Columbia, we ran 40-plus laps of the 3.0-mile circuit. It was the brakes—the iron-rotor units carry over from the regular ZL1 except for the ABS calibration—rather than spent tires that prevented us from turning more than five hot laps at a time; the pedal gets a little long on the fifth lap. While we’d like to have seen the 1LE adopt the carbon-ceramic brakes of the Z/28, they’d be costly, and few cars feel as stable while braking in corners as the 1LE. Even when you throw in a downshift, the car never unsettles. The tires claw for grip in corners like a cat scurrying up a tree. Where you expect understeer, you get a neutral balance, and squeezing extra throttle on exit causes the rear end to step out gently—or aggressively if you simply put the hammer down too quickly. We’re quite sure there isn’t a tire made that could contain the LT4’s 650 lb-ft of torque.
Taken from here :

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review
There was an event at another NorthWest track called Area 27. I wish I knew so I would be there

and video of the car and some more info on the suspension can be found here:

Quote:
Chevy did jettison some weight in order to offset the goodies it bolted on. And by some, I mean a lot. The aluminum bodies on the front shocks, for example, saved 18 pounds of unsprung mass alone. In total, the DSSV shocks are 23 pounds lighter than the Magnetic Ride system found on the regular ZL1.
http://www.autoblog.com/2017/06/27/2...-drive-review/
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 06:43 AM   #17
TheMaGikDucK

Drives: 2016 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick3 View Post
That sounds really promosing... Please keep us updated.. Frankly, at least for us 1LE guys, we will need a package deal of some sort that will shut off the MR warnings. Im afraid that this package might only end up availible to guys with a 1SS/2SS without Mag ride.
I've seen the parts that plug in where you used to plug in the MR to get rid of the warnings. I dont know where to get them, but they do exist.
TheMaGikDucK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:08 AM   #18
Snrub

I wonder how realistic this suspension setup is for a the street. Perhaps the best option for fitting on other cars is to simply buy only the shocks and use softer springs.

"While the chassis mods make it a fantastic track weapon, this car is somewhat compromised on the street. Not overly so, but you’ll want to avoid every pothole due to springs that are three times stiffer than those of the regular ZL1." http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review The differences between the various other springs is relatively small.

"As a result of the decision to hard-mount the dampers to the car—and this is me being charitable—ride quality is not great. Being less kind—especially if you’re on ripped up, lumpy pavement—the ZL1 1LE’s ride flat-out sucks. It’s brutal, and over big bumps at speed, the rear end seems to run out of travel. That’s the trade-off for supercar handling everywhere else. Can you live with the car as a daily driver? Yes. Just avoid potholes like the plague." http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevr...t-test-review/
Old 06-28-2017, 05:14 PM   #19
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub View Post
I wonder how realistic this suspension setup is for a the street. Perhaps the best option for fitting on other cars is to simply buy only the shocks and use softer springs.

"While the chassis mods make it a fantastic track weapon, this car is somewhat compromised on the street. Not overly so, but you’ll want to avoid every pothole due to springs that are three times stiffer than those of the regular ZL1." http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review The differences between the various other springs is relatively small.

"As a result of the decision to hard-mount the dampers to the car—and this is me being charitable—ride quality is not great. Being less kind—especially if you’re on ripped up, lumpy pavement—the ZL1 1LE’s ride flat-out sucks. It’s brutal, and over big bumps at speed, the rear end seems to run out of travel. That’s the trade-off for supercar handling everywhere else. Can you live with the car as a daily driver? Yes. Just avoid potholes like the plague." http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevr...t-test-review/
well many here have used camber plates from Ground control, Moreno motorsports, etc... that's basically the hard mount of the strut to the chassis. also JPSS had camber plates, even on the 5th gen, where you had to drill/cut the strut tower to make it fit.

honestly, from having tein coilovers on a cavalier, and custom made ones on the dodge charger I ran, hard mounting coilovers isn't really a deal breaker to most. especially when you can adjust camber for the track in a few minutes.

I read the other quote from the mags also above, about the spring rates are 3 times that of the normal spring rates...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub
Not overly so, but you’ll want to avoid every pothole due to springs that are three times stiffer than those of the regular ZL1
something that popped in my head....if you look at bc racing coilovers:

Quote:
Spring rates are 6Kg/mm front, 12Kg/mm rear and it has the regular BR features of full ride height adjustability and 30 levels of damping adjustment.

6kg/mm =335.9 lbs/inch
12kg/mm=671.9 lbs/inch

Then there are the stock spring rates for the SS 1LE and a few aftermarket manufacturers:

Non-MRC SS Rates: 137 lbs/in (Front) 577 lbs/in (Rear)
Hurst: 150 lbs/in (Front) 420-550 lbs/in (Rear)
Eibach Rates: 160 lbs/in (Front) 121-691 lbs/in (Rear)
1LE Rates: 178 lbs/in (Front) 539 lbs/in (Rear)

Source: http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=475647

So with that in mind, the BASIC coil springs on the BC Racing coilovers are 2.45 times (nearly 2 and a half times stiffer) than OEM Non MRC SS Rates are in the front.

and just 1.16 stiffer in the rear.

granted for some, this will pose a problem, but so would the bc racing coilovers. I think for most, the price may be a bit much, but for those who have done coilovers before....AND WERE OK with em it shouldn't pose much a problem.

2 of my last 3 cars, I ran bc racing coilovers, and the one before that, I used b-g racing coilovers from rksport. the stiffer rates aren't always that much of an issue as long as you have a strut/damping to control the spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick3
That sounds really promosing... Please keep us updated.. Frankly, at least for us 1LE guys, we will need a package deal of some sort that will shut off the MR warnings. Im afraid that this package might only end up availible to guys with a 1SS/2SS without Mag ride.
never a prob

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 06:38 PM   #20
OminouSS

Drives: Red Hot track candy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post
Spring rates funcutions are for much more than ride heights. Spring length is more applicable for overall vehicle height. Spring rates biggest impact is related to dynamic handling. For instance, it is the spring rate that primarily dictates how much dive (front springs) there will be under heavy braking or how much load transfer (front to rear) happens when you're trying to accelerate out of a corner. Also, the damper's valving has a pretty wide window related to how much spring rate will work in any given application, so it isn't a big deal to change spring rates... I've done previously.

As for the race shop recommending Motons versus DSSV's. First off, just be mindful when taking advice from anyone that also sell parts... just putting that out there. Also, Motons are good race dampers, though adjustable parts are only as good as the person tasked with the adjustments. I've seen too many guys spend big $$ on adjustable race dampers to only end up with a car that is a hot mess dynamically because they get it to the track and are fighting the car and don't know what to change... and can't get the car to behave how they want. The DSSV's are absolutely state of the art technology (motons decidedly old school by comparison) that are designed specifically for our platform's most hard core track package. I'd also want to compare cost before deciding either way.

Great explanation, thank you.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:09 PM   #21
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Keep in mind that there's only a 138 lb difference between a base 1SS manual and the ZL1 1LE (according to GM). 3823 lb for ZL1 1LE vs. 3685 lb for the 1SS. Add options to the SS (such as 2SS package, sunroof, etc) and that 138 lb gap closed.

I suspect the full ZL1 1LE suspension kit (springs/dampers/swaybars/links) will be a perfect track upgrade for non-MRC equipped SS models.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:11 PM   #22
vtirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
well many here have used camber plates from Ground control, Moreno motorsports, etc... that's basically the hard mount of the strut to the chassis. also JPSS had camber plates, even on the 5th gen, where you had to drill/cut the strut tower to make it fit.

honestly, from having tein coilovers on a cavalier, and custom made ones on the dodge charger I ran, hard mounting coilovers isn't really a deal breaker to most. especially when you can adjust camber for the track in a few minutes.

I read the other quote from the mags also above, about the spring rates are 3 times that of the normal spring rates...

something that popped in my head....if you look at bc racing coilovers:

6kg/mm =335.9 lbs/inch
12kg/mm=671.9 lbs/inch

Then there are the stock spring rates for the SS 1LE and a few aftermarket manufacturers:

Non-MRC SS Rates: 137 lbs/in (Front) 577 lbs/in (Rear)
Hurst: 150 lbs/in (Front) 420-550 lbs/in (Rear)
Eibach Rates: 160 lbs/in (Front) 121-691 lbs/in (Rear)
1LE Rates: 178 lbs/in (Front) 539 lbs/in (Rear)

Source: http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=475647

So with that in mind, the BASIC coil springs on the BC Racing coilovers are 2.45 times (nearly 2 and a half times stiffer) than OEM Non MRC SS Rates are in the front.

and just 1.16 stiffer in the rear.

granted for some, this will pose a problem, but so would the bc racing coilovers. I think for most, the price may be a bit much, but for those who have done coilovers before....AND WERE OK with em it shouldn't pose much a problem.

2 of my last 3 cars, I ran bc racing coilovers, and the one before that, I used b-g racing coilovers from rksport. the stiffer rates aren't always that much of an issue as long as you have a strut/damping to control the spring.

never a prob
I'm surprised the SS 1LE has softer rear springs than the non-MRC SS.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:38 PM   #23
Snrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post

To be honest with you, I think it would be fine for me. I have ~3.5x stiffer spring coilover setup on my Miata race car and it's certainly tolerable 99.9% percent of the time. It's quite bad if you hit a serious bump, as in it hurts. In a street car, I'm not the only one who might be in the car. It's difficult to compare spring rates between cars as control arm lengths and mounting points vary.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:28 PM   #24
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
I'm surprised the SS 1LE has softer rear springs than the non-MRC SS.
So was I, but it makes sense when you figure in the stiffer rear swaybar the 1LE has over the SS.
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:44 PM   #25
vtirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1FTY View Post
So was I, but it makes sense when you figure in the stiffer rear swaybar the 1LE has over the SS.
I wonder if the 1LE swaybar kit that's sold is a good idea then for SS cars? Might be too stiff in the rear.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:00 PM   #26
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub View Post
To be honest with you, I think it would be fine for me. I have ~3.5x stiffer spring coilover setup on my Miata race car and it's certainly tolerable 99.9% percent of the time. It's quite bad if you hit a serious bump, as in it hurts. In a street car, I'm not the only one who might be in the car. It's difficult to compare spring rates between cars as control arm lengths and mounting points vary.
Good point, the reason why I want to get that as a kit (suspension, sway bar, control arms and bushings etc). Stiff suspension will definitely help to run with ultra stickt tires to get the most out of them. On some corners I feel like my 1LE could be tad stiffer it was very noticeable with the Trofeo R s
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:32 PM   #27
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Thumbs up Good news/bad news....but its progress!

So i was able to find some part numbers...

Bad news....no prices....

Good news but the warehouses show stock of them...

The springs arent listed yet nor are the camber plates.
Attached Images

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:48 PM   #28
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Good job Polynesian. Info is slowly trickling in.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote