Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-31-2016, 08:26 PM   #1
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Question Need some wheel and tire help/suggestions for AutoX.

Been looking too get a new set of wheels for autox.

So far been looking at 19 inch wheels but I'm unsure of what brand to buy that would be strong enough to last during a few seasons of AutoX. And by that I mean not fail or be prone to cracking due to taking sharp hard corners as I've seen happen with some low quality cast wheels.

Was hoping someone had some suggestions on a brand to buy or better yet a style / composition that I should look for such as forged or rotary forged like TSW offers.

Also looking for something that doesn't break the bank (in wheel terms) because I figure I'm going to be spending most of that in the form of tires. Anyone have any idea what's an avg per wheel to spend on a decent strong set?

Currently the car has the stock 18 inch wheels and goodyear tires. and I'm not sure if I can fit the 4 piston or even 6 piston brakes on it eventually ( If anyone knows that would be helpful) but I didn't want to go to the full 20 inch wheels given that they're only going to be a 8.5inch width to start for the v6, and also the unsprung mass.

Now I plan to go with the Bridgestone RE71r's but my main question in choosing a wheel in the 19 inch range, should I do it as a plus one size for the 18 (245/50/18) because I see a lot of people going wide as far as 265-285 for some 19's. I don't have a tuner as of yet so I can't change wheel and tire size in the pcm so far.

Any suggestions welcome. I'll be running in CAM more than likely. F-Street is a bit to competitive locally and I know any mods I plan will eventually kick me out of F-Street, n E waz

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:47 PM   #2
mbar

Drives: 2016 1SS
4 Pistons breaks fit with 18 inch wheels. 6 Pistons needs 19 inch.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:51 PM   #3
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbar View Post
4 Pistons breaks fit with 18 inch wheels. 6 Pistons needs 19 inch.
Appreciate it.

Any suggestions on brands?

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
Old 06-06-2016, 05:47 PM   #4
AdvanSuper

Drives: 1SS HBM w/MRC NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
Appreciate it.

Any suggestions on brands?
Depends on price range.
AdvanSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:14 AM   #5
Ian SS

Drives: 2016 1SS, 2017 JKU Wrangler
Are you going to run on the street as well with these tires? or are they a pure track set.

If running on the street and tracking occasionally, can't go wrong with Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Hankook RS3's are also a good choice.

If dedicated track set, look into Toyo r888 or Nittos.

Expect to pay at least 350 a tire, and that's just for RS3's or the Michelins. Nittos and r888 are more.

2018 Ram Rebel 4x4 5.7
Ian SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 02:20 AM   #6
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
The problem is that the platform is new enough that the "good combinations" haven't been fully worked out yet.

As a rule of thumb, I usually buy Enkei and TSW wheels...mostly Enkei though. Enkei also makes wheels for Tire Rack under the brand "TR Racing" so you can get those for even cheaper with the same build quality. TSW's rotary forged line of wheels have been hitting the sweet spot in terms of price/strength/weight...I am probably getting a set of them in a year or two.

Now there are plenty of other wheels brands these days. I also don't want to act like an expert so you should probably ask more people. Luke @ Tire Rack is a guy who races there, he is reach-able by calling their main number.
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 04:46 PM   #7
PolynesianPowerhouse

To start, def appreciate the replies

just trying to approach autoX this time around with a wider view than stock wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvanSuper View Post
Depends on price range.
price range, maybe 12-1500, I'm open to used as long as its not abused.
Don't need anything that's on a JDP vs Ken Thwaits level, but something that could last about 6 per year, and use the stock wheels and tires for winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_1ss View Post
Are you going to run on the street as well with these tires? or are they a pure track set.

If running on the street and tracking occasionally, can't go wrong with Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Hankook RS3's are also a good choice.

If dedicated track set, look into Toyo r888 or Nittos.

Expect to pay at least 350 a tire, and that's just for RS3's or the Michelins. Nittos and r888 are more.
Noted! now what about sizing? I have 18's currently. should I just aim for a plus 1 sizing with tire size roughly the same diameter as stock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpang1234 View Post
The problem is that the platform is new enough that the "good combinations" haven't been fully worked out yet.

As a rule of thumb, I usually buy Enkei and TSW wheels...mostly Enkei though. Enkei also makes wheels for Tire Rack under the brand "TR Racing" so you can get those for even cheaper with the same build quality. TSW's rotary forged line of wheels have been hitting the sweet spot in terms of price/strength/weight...I am probably getting a set of them in a year or two.

Now there are plenty of other wheels brands these days. I also don't want to act like an expert so you should probably ask more people. Luke @ Tire Rack is a guy who races there, he is reach-able by calling their main number.
Honestly, I'll check with Luke, but in addition, expert, or not...appreciate those suggestions. I got the new tire rack magazine, and checked discount tire direct for wheels, and most guys are forgeline or mmr with distributors on the forum.

I haven't checked out enkei since I first started autoX literally, 16 years ago when I ran the RPO-2's. so I'll see what they have as well. highly appreciate it. I think I can find something between enkei/TR and TSW

Old 06-07-2016, 06:11 PM   #8
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
hre flowform wheels with hankook rs3 would be a good track/auto x setup
kropscamaro16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:07 PM   #9
Ian SS

Drives: 2016 1SS, 2017 JKU Wrangler
+1 on tire size should be fine

2018 Ram Rebel 4x4 5.7
Ian SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:05 PM   #10
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

I am getting part-sponsored in the N4Sm / Vorsteiner deal posed in "Wheels/Tires" forum. They will be 20x10(f) and 20x11(r).

I am thinking about just moving my stock tires over to the new wheels to run them out before I get a set of Michelin PSS. Will this be "safe"?
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
Old 08-08-2016, 07:59 PM   #11
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
245 is not recommended for a 10" wide and the 275 on a 11" would be stretched to the max.
Not good for track.
You could pick up someones take off tires and put the 275 up front and keep the 275 out back.

I would just go out and buy a good set of rubber to start with. PSS or Conti 5P

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 12:31 PM   #12
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post
245 is not recommended for a 10" wide and the 275 on a 11" would be stretched to the max.
Not good for track.
You could pick up someones take off tires and put the 275 up front and keep the 275 out back.

I would just go out and buy a good set of rubber to start with. PSS or Conti 5P
Yeah I've been thinking since I last posted and that is more likely what I will do...just a shame to waist rubber. I don't think the stock tires will keep in my garage long enough to be good when I finally sell the car 5-7 years from now.
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
Old 08-16-2016, 11:01 AM   #13
Camaroguy555

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2016 1SS NPP 6MT MRC
Honestly if you aren't going to a 6 pot caliper I would maintain an 18" wheel. Run a 275/35r18 all the way around. Tires will be exponentially cheaper and a much wider variety of track oriented tires. 18"s will also be lighter, help with handling, acceleration, braking, etc.
Camaroguy555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 11:07 AM   #14
BigEnos
Planning stages...

Drives: 1995 Z28,2014 Ford Focus ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
hre flowform wheels with hankook rs3 would be a good track/auto x setup
R-S3 Hankooks are a bad choice for track work. They overheat almost immediately even at an autocross. If you care about 200TW then the best choice is, of course, Bridgestone. If someone has experience with Dunlops it might be good to find out if they last longer. I'd get the 'stones, though. They are fast and wear well. Go with a square setup if you don't care about staying in street class. That way you can swap front to rear.
BigEnos is offline   Reply With Quote