#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 05-05-2016, 09:28 AM   #15
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
You want dexos 1 for gas engines, not 2...
Actually, under the track prep section on page 189 it explicitly states to use a Dexos 2 0w-40 or 5w-40 for track use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbar View Post
Correct, but the owners manual says that if you track your Camaro SS you should switch to Dexos2 5W-40 or 0W-40
^^ Here's the part in the manual being referred to:

"6.2L (LT1) Engine
Change the engine oil to 0W-40 or 5W-40 that meets the dexos2™specification. If this oil is not
available, the following oils can be used as an alternative:
Valvoline® SYNPOWER MST 5W-40,
Mobil® 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40.
See Capacities and Specifications -> 331."
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:37 AM   #16
mbar

Drives: 2016 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by thescreensavers View Post
I posted this question on an oil forum

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums..._O#Post4086160
Thanks for posting at the oil forum. Looks like a verdict has not been reached
Old 05-05-2016, 09:45 AM   #17
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
I did see some Dexos2 at WalMart in Plymouth, WI last weekend when I was there.. They had a ton of the Castrol EDGE there as listed in the oil forum.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:55 AM   #18
mbar

Just had a chat with Castrol rep.
He said that "Castrol EDGE Turbo Diesel 5W-40, is the only Dexos2 approved oil the have"
Somehow I'm worried using a Diesel engine oil....but again...I know nothing about oil :(
Old 05-05-2016, 11:37 AM   #19
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
Dexos2 is primary a Diesel spec but it can be used without issue in Gas engines, if you look these oils are much more shear stable non GF-5 oils. HTHS also is around 3.7 vs 3.0 on Dexos1 oils.

With the high temps seen I'd never run a Dexos1 oil at the track or if you do change it immediately after. Per warranty change it to Dexos2, also ideally put some break-in miles on the oil before the track.

Id inquire at the dealer for Dexos2 oil or order Online from an oil off the approved list.

http://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand2/

Last edited by thescreensavers; 05-05-2016 at 12:55 PM.
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:57 AM   #20
evanescent03

Drives: '19 SS 1LE/'19 Rubicon/'20 AT4
Quote:
Dexos2 is primary a Diesel spec but it can be used in without issue in Gas engines, if you look these oils are much more shear stable non GF-5 oils. HTHS also is around 3.7 vs 3.0 on Dexos1 oils.

With the high temps seen I'd never run a Dexos1 oil at the track or if you do change it immediately after. Per warranty change it to Dexos2, also ideally put some break-in miles on the oil before the track.

Id inquire at the dealer for Dexos2 oil or order Online from an oil off the approved list.

http://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand2/
GM's site does link to this, so it *seems* like we'd be covered if we used an oil from this list even if the packaging does or does not state the dexos2 logo. To be safe I'd also print the list to keep on record with the oil/filter receipts in case/when the list changes.
evanescent03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:58 PM   #21
thescreensavers

^ that's another issue as well, the oils on the shelf at Walmart may not be Dexos 2 at all even if the name matches , it will have A3/B4 but not Dex2. Dex2 is more of a European spec which the main issue is availability. The Disel Cruz has the same oil issue since that car asks for Dex2, maybe they are using something that is easy to find.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:06 PM   #22
Camaroguy555

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2016 1SS NPP 6MT MRC
I was aching over which oil to use after reading a lengthy article by a mechanical engineer. I settled on the Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5w30 Full Synthetic even though I will be tracking it. The reason being the test conducted showed the Quaker had the best lubrication and pressure at 230 and also at 270 degrees. In his opinion it is the best out of the box oil you can use for performance applications.
Camaroguy555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:15 PM   #23
thescreensavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaroguy555 View Post
I was aching over which oil to use after reading a lengthy article by a mechanical engineer. I settled on the Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5w30 Full Synthetic even though I will be tracking it. The reason being the test conducted showed the Quaker had the best lubrication and pressure at 230 and also at 270 degrees. In his opinion it is the best out of the box oil you can use for performance applications.
Hog wash, oil pressure will lower with temperature a 30wt oil will be thinner than 40wt at 230,270..pick any other hot temperature the 40wt will be thicker and thus higher oil pressure. Oil shearing is tested in an astm test called "ASTM D5481" HTHS values are usuallylisted on oils PDS . Dex 2 oils are 3.7+ range while dex1 being 3.0 range. higher hths the less the oil will loose it's viscosity with high temp high shear and return back to spec and not shear out of grade.

I would advise against what you have read but I'd like to take a look care to share a link?

I would follow GMs guidelines in respect to warranty and longevity.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:29 PM   #24
Camaroguy555

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2016 1SS NPP 6MT MRC
Quote:
Hog wash, oil pressure will lower with temperature a 30wt oil will be thinner than 40wt at 230,270..pick any other hot temperature the 40wt will be thicker and thus higher oil pressure. Oil shearing is tested in an astm test called "ASTM D5481" HTHS values are usuallylisted on oils PDS . Dex 2 oils are 3.7+ range while dex1 being 3.0 range. higher hths the less the oil will loose it's viscosity with high temp high shear and return back to spec and not shear out of grade.

I would advise against what you have read but I'd like to take a look care to share a link?

I would follow GMs guidelines in respect to warranty and longevity.
Here's the link. https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/201...-test-ranking/

A long read, but definitely a lot of good info. I wasn't referring to oil pressure in the engine, but actually the psi value produced by the oil in terms of wear protection. I'm a huge advocate of trusting the engineers that built the car, but they often have to dumb things down for people who don't educate themselves like we do on forums. According to this guy 30wt oils have the best long term wear protection, you have to ensure it works for your application though ie high temps from track use.
Camaroguy555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:58 PM   #25
thescreensavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaroguy555 View Post
Here's the link. https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/201...-test-ranking/

A long read, but definitely a lot of good info. I wasn't referring to oil pressure in the engine, but actually the psi value produced by the oil in terms of wear protection. I'm a huge advocate of trusting the engineers that built the car, but they often have to dumb things down for people who don't educate themselves like we do on forums. According to this guy 30wt oils have the best long term wear protection, you have to ensure it works for your application though ie high temps from track use.
Unfortunately that oil test is completely bogus and testing method is not representative of any place in any engine.

First lets talk about high temps again

As you can see on this chart as temperature increases viscosity decreases. GM has instructed us in order to keep warranty to use a Dexos2 0W40 or 5W40 engine oil. If you read about people tracking their SS they have hit 270F.

Viscosity is higher at all hot temperatures for a 40wt oil vs a 30wt oil thus will offer better protection at the track and thus GM is requiring it for competitive use. These Viscosity's are determined by academically accepted standards.

The testing by Ratrod does not conform to any academically accepted standards API, ACEA, ILSAC, SAE..Dexos...ect do not use the "One arm bandit" in any of their oil tests.

If that oil test was useful you think OEM'S would use it?

For example checkout Porches A40 Oil Spec

Quote:
This test will last 203 hours. The engine, and the oil, will go through:
- 4 times the simulation of 35 hours of summer driving,
- 4 times the simulation of 13.5 hours of winter driving,
- 40 cold starts,
- 5 times the simulation of 1-hour sessions on the “Nürburgring” racetrack,
- 3.5 hours of “running-in” program
Measurements on the engine and on the oil will be done at regular intervals, and the following parameter
will be taken into account to grant the approval or not:
- torque curve (internal friction),
- oxidation of the oil,
- Piston cleanliness and ring sticking,
- Valve train wear protection. Cam & tappet wear must be less than 10 μm.
- Engine cleanliness and sludge: after 203 hours, no deposits must be visible.
- Bearing wear protection: visual rating according to Porsche in-house method.
If the Ratrod test was at all indicative to oils performance don't you think Porches and all the OEMs can save money in oil testing?

Also Here is M1s Reply to that oil test

Quote:
The rigs being used in these demonstrations are primarily designed for industrial applications like gear oils where extreme pressure is a necessary and important performance feature. These demonstration rigs have very little to do with modern engines, which is why market leading oils in the industry perform poorly in these tests.
You should ask 540Rat to use Head and Shoulders as it will outperform most oils but I do not suggest you use that in your engine.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:02 PM   #26
drivingagain

Drives: 2015 Tiger XCX,2016 Camaro 1SS,LBZ!
I have seen good results from pennzoil platinum oil currently. I am just waiting on my last free oil change and have amsoil 10 qts waiting in my garage.

Curious if anyone uses amsoil at the track or not really needed for short drain intervals?
drivingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:12 PM   #27
evanescent03

Drives: '19 SS 1LE/'19 Rubicon/'20 AT4
This seeeeeems like my only option at any local retailer .... plain ol' castrol edge 0w40. That's on the list ...

Seem legit? See any disqualifiers? Why is this so hard? rofl.
Attached Images

evanescent03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:34 AM   #28
mbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
This seeeeeems like my only option at any local retailer .... plain ol' castrol edge 0w40. That's on the list ...

Seem legit? See any disqualifiers? Why is this so hard? rofl.
GM is really making our life difficult....after speaking to a Castrol rep the only Dexos2 oil they have is the turbo diesel. My dealer only carry Pennzoil as 5W40...

I also found:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motul-8100-X...848348&vxp=mtr

http://www.amazon.com/Valvoline-SynP...&keywords=5w40