Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-10-2021, 03:56 AM   #1
RIPws6

Drives: 2019 2SS Riverside Blue
Phone Charger/Mount options

I bought a new Iphone 12 with magnetic charge capability. All of that aside, the 6th gen is well known for being difficult with mounting phones unless you want to give up the precious free space we have in the front window or don't mind glue on you dash.
My 2019 doesn't have the charge pad on the back console and even if it did, this phone wouldn't fit there anyway.
I saw a post where someone was using a cigarette lighter mounted magnetic mount they bought from ebay.
It looked like a viable option for me since my phone has a built in magnet in the rear of the case.
Does anyone have experience with these 12volt mounts? Does the phone stay in place?
The cupholder mount doesn't work for me. I chew tobacco (Oklahoman...what can I say?) so my spitcup and my beverage take up the holder spots.
The vent chargers are useless although the self clamping ones look awesome, they just don't work in our cars.
What do you guys use?
RIPws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 05:19 AM   #2
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Proclips is what most on here seem to use.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 05:34 AM   #3
Aaron07

Drives: 2017 2SS F1FTY
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
Proclips is what most on here seem to use.
This is what I have. Great mount
2017 2SS F1FTY/HUD/Mag Ride/NPP/Nav/M6/Mishimoto catch can/BTR stage 2 Cam kit/GPI ported LT2 IM and 95mm TB/Roto Fab CAI/Kooks Long Tubes ceramic coated/Borla S Type NPP catback/AFE lowering springs/1LE wheels/OEM smoked tail lights/Diode Dynamics side markers/Uniden R7/3D Maxpider floor mats/Adams graphene ceramic coat
Aaron07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 05:36 AM   #4
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Proclips! I have the console mount, works fantastic!
Nothing like an SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 05:58 AM   #5
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPws6 View Post
I bought a new Iphone 12 with magnetic charge capability. All of that aside, the 6th gen is well known for being difficult with mounting phones unless you want to give up the precious free space we have in the front window or don't mind glue on you dash.
My 2019 doesn't have the charge pad on the back console and even if it did, this phone wouldn't fit there anyway.
I saw a post where someone was using a cigarette lighter mounted magnetic mount they bought from ebay.
It looked like a viable option for me since my phone has a built in magnet in the rear of the case.
Does anyone have experience with these 12volt mounts? Does the phone stay in place?
The cupholder mount doesn't work for me. I chew tobacco (Oklahoman...what can I say?) so my spitcup and my beverage take up the holder spots.
The vent chargers are useless although the self clamping ones look awesome, they just don't work in our cars.
What do you guys use?
Just a quick note on the recharge pad…unless you have an iPhone 12 Max, your iPhone 12 will fit on the charge pad. That said, for 2017 and earlier, the charge pad doesn’t work with Apple phones. I had the charge pad upgraded so that my passengers can charge their phones. I recently upgraded from iPhone X to iPhone 12 Pro. Both phones fit the pad.

I also use Proclips and was pleased to find out that the iPhone 12 Pro is slightly narrower than the iPhone X and fit into my existing Proclip with only minor adjustment.
Attached Images

A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 06:40 AM   #6
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
These guys that run these phone mounts.. I would be curious to hear how they actually use them and their ages. I tend to think that I'm one of the younger guys on the forum (may be wrong), but no sort of phone mount has ever interested me in the least. I hate looking at them and I don't see a use for them, particularly if you have apple carplay/android auto.??? I've never used any in my life, but I would agree that Proclips is quite popular.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 07:49 AM   #7
joekd

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS vert
I just have a small stick on net I added onto the drivers side of the console, this way I can plug the phone in and use android auto whenever I am in the car
Old 08-10-2021, 09:20 AM   #8
z28pat

Drives: 2002 z28, 2018 2ss 1LE
In don’t look at my phone but don’t want It in my pocket so I put one of the belt holsters on the side and plug it in that way.
Attached Images

z28pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 09:29 AM   #9
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
These guys that run these phone mounts.. I would be curious to hear how they actually use them and their ages. I tend to think that I'm one of the younger guys on the forum (may be wrong), but no sort of phone mount has ever interested me in the least. I hate looking at them and I don't see a use for them, particularly if you have apple carplay/android auto.??? I've never used any in my life, but I would agree that Proclips is quite popular.
I do agree. I've never used a phone mount myself. My phone stays in my pocket when I'm driving. I'm driving to enjoy the freedom and the road. The last thing I think about when I'm driving is my damb phone. I don't answer calls and I don't answer texts. If I ever need Google Maps, I will connect to AA and toss the phone in the cup holder.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 09:39 AM   #10
ajsandiego

Drives: '18 LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post

Man - segregation is on the rise with the young folks these days.

I'm 50 and use a Proclip. Then again - a bunch of the millennials at the weekly meetups I've been to do too so... A 20 something was actually the one who suggested it to me after seeing theirs - made sense. Nothing to do with age.
ajsandiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 09:50 AM   #11
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
I have a proclip because I use the Torque pro app to monitor engine parameters when I am out playing. I like to be able to see MAT, Ethanol %, Boost, and Fuel Pressures. It's a simpler approach with less clutter then having several gauges mounted in the car.

If I get a call or text when driving I use the infotainment system in the car and not my phone. I don't care for Android auto and glad I have a 2016 that lets texts come through the infotainment system. Imo it was a big Fail on GM's part to remove that feature from 2017 on up because you have to be wired to use AA up until 2020 or 2021.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA

Last edited by KingLT1; 08-10-2021 at 10:23 AM.
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 10:06 AM   #12
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekd View Post
I just have a small stick on net I added onto the drivers side of the console, this way I can plug the phone in and use android auto whenever I am in the car
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28pat View Post
In don’t look at my phone but don’t want It in my pocket so I put one of the belt holsters on the side and plug it in that way.
I considered doing something like a net or pouch on the transmission tunnel. I don’t need to look at my phone when I’m driving. Thing is, out of sight is out of mind. If I use one of those solutions, the likelihood of me leaving the phone in the car goes up astronomically. When it’s in the Proclip, I turn off the car, open the door, remove the phone from the Proclip. Rinse and repeat.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 01:39 PM   #13
NYJets12

Drives: 2018 1LT Camaro
I put mine in my pants pocket if I use Bluetooth . If I hook it up to usb for CarPlay I have a cable I leave hooked up to the usb plug in the console and just put it in the phone and put the phone in the cup holder.
Old 08-10-2021, 01:40 PM   #14
joekd

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
If I use one of those solutions, the likelihood of me leaving the phone in the car goes up astronomically.
At first I did forget my phone a couple times, fortunately I have a smart watch that vibrates as soon as I am out of bluetooth range

Now I am so used to it I automatically reach to grab it as I stand up