Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-25-2021, 07:20 PM   #1
omgitsmiketuck

Drives: 2011 LS V6 (M) & 2019 LS I4 (AT)
Check Engine Light after Charge Pipe/TB Install

Hey guys,

I installed the ZZP larger throttle body yesterday and drove around without issue. Gave it hell without issues.

Today i installed the Mishimoto hot side pipe (already had cold side installed) and now i'm getting a CEL. Any ideas? I'm trying to make this work without requiring a tune. I dont think i'm there yet. My buddy thats a mechanic said it's likely the car is obv getting more air and so it needs to relearn and adjust the fuel maps. Which takes time. He said that if the fuel maps are the issue, the CEL is likely to clear itself.

Is that true on these cars?

When i fired it up, it smelled a bit off. So it definately needed some learning. Now the exhaust has no off smell. The car pulls like a bat out of hell. Even with my throttle controller set to stock position. So all n all the car seems to be running great. The idle seems fine. It was a bit bumpy at first but it leveled off after a few minutes. But that CEL is still there.

Thoughts? Might this just fix itself? I checked the charge pipe and everything seems to be on there tight and nothing is loose (from what i can tell). So i dont think its a MAP sensor issue.

Thoughts?
2011 Camaro LS (MT) - Vitesse Throttle Controller / Flowmaster 40 Mufflers / CAI Intake / Apex scoop and washer relocate / Epic Engineering Catch Can / SS Stoptech Brake lines / BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs / IPF tune /Magnaflow X-Pipe / 25mm Mace intake spacer / BBK Long Tube Headers with High Flow Cats

(Current) 2019 Camaro LS I4 - Vitesse Throttle Controller / Mishimoto intake boot and charge pipes / K&N panel / BMR Sway Bars / GFB DV+ / ZZP Larger Throttle Body
omgitsmiketuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 09:16 PM   #2
Davescamaro

Drives: Chevy camaro
What is the cel code? I'm wondering what the code may be. I was throwing a p013f after downpipe and IC piping. Ended up permanently clearing it from the tune.
Old 03-25-2021, 10:46 PM   #3
omgitsmiketuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davescamaro View Post
What is the cel code? I'm wondering what the code may be. I was throwing a p013f after downpipe and IC piping. Ended up permanently clearing it from the tune.
I'm not sure yet. I'm going to rifle through my buddies garage tomorrow to find his code scanner. But the point being... I'm trying to avoid having to tune as I'm in California. But I'll let you know.

Reading your post again, I didnt do a downpipe. That would for sure throw a CEL which would need to be tuned out. The hotside pipe on this car doesnt have any sensors attached to it tho, so i need to figure out the code.
2011 Camaro LS (MT) - Vitesse Throttle Controller / Flowmaster 40 Mufflers / CAI Intake / Apex scoop and washer relocate / Epic Engineering Catch Can / SS Stoptech Brake lines / BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs / IPF tune /Magnaflow X-Pipe / 25mm Mace intake spacer / BBK Long Tube Headers with High Flow Cats

(Current) 2019 Camaro LS I4 - Vitesse Throttle Controller / Mishimoto intake boot and charge pipes / K&N panel / BMR Sway Bars / GFB DV+ / ZZP Larger Throttle Body
Old 03-26-2021, 11:41 AM   #4
omgitsmiketuck

I ran down to o'reilly's and then pulled the codes n reset the cel for me. The codes were as follows:
P2227
P2229
U0101

The code was from the MAP recognizing the extra air. It just needs time to relearn and adjust the fuel maps. The code actually hasn't come back on since they cleared it. The other code was me untapping the battery trying to reset the light. Apparently that's a no-no on new cars.

Otherwise everything seems good. Noticeable power difference. I believe Mishimotos claims of 10-12hp. Throttle response is better. I want to say slightly less turbo lag? Either way I'd recommend.

Old 03-26-2021, 03:23 PM   #5
Davescamaro

The U code is communication on the controlled area network or CAN. Its not communicating from a module to a sensor or actuator.
Old 03-26-2021, 05:41 PM   #6
omgitsmiketuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davescamaro View Post
The U code is communication on the controlled area network or CAN. Its not communicating from a module to a sensor or actuator.
I was told unhooking the battery is what caused the U code. Either way, since scanning the codes all went away and haven't popped back up. I drove around quite a bit today w.o issue

Old 03-26-2021, 09:54 PM   #7
Davescamaro

Good to hear. I had a MAP sensor fault from installing an air intake system. Made no sense at all, but cleared it and never came back.
Old 03-29-2021, 02:28 PM   #8
StPeteHyper2.0

Drives: '16 Hyper Blue 2.0
For reference.. anytime you change IC piping or TB.. you need to reset the battery and let the car learn the new airflow mods. Especially the hot side because the stock has a baffle. There is a relearn process that is to idle the car for 3 minutes and off 3 min. Repeated 3 times. After resetting and the relearn process the car will be fine as long as it was installed properly with no leaks
StPeteHyper2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote