Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 03-18-2021, 04:53 PM   #1
buckwam

Drives: 2021 camaro 1ls
air intake results

Mishimoto claims 18 hp gain with their air intake kit while k&n lists a 6.5 hp increase. I did read on this forum that the stock air intake is not bad, so is mishimoto overly optimistic? Is it common for the computer CEL warning after installing the mishimoto?

https://www.mishimoto.com/chevrolet-...rettyPhoto/13/

Last edited by buckwam; 03-18-2021 at 05:44 PM.
buckwam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 05:33 PM   #2
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Perhaps there was a peak of 18.. average gains though ?

Probably not worth the $$

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 05:43 PM   #3
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
18 hp is BS
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 06:10 PM   #4
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
Perhaps there was a peak of 18.. average gains though ?

Probably not worth the $$
Espespecially on a turbocharged engine where you can get a canned tune for around the same money and get way more power.

For reference, I helped one of my friends flash a Eurodyne tune on his GTI a year or two back(he has a Macbook and the tuning program needs a Windows PC to work). It made 220 BHP stock and the Eurodyne tune was like CAN$300 or so and bumped the power up to about 300.

Warranty-wise I can see dealers give you trouble for an aftermarket intake as well so no advantage there over tuning, either. Just doesn't make sense...

Peak gain is about 14 WHP while the max gain is about 18 WHP. Speaking of this, another thing a tune does that an intake won't is really opening up the high-RPM power by maintaining that high-RPM torque. From what I understand, the LTG in the Camaro is tuned more like a family car turbo(good low-end torque but chokes itself when you rev past ~5500 RPM) than a performance turbo(not-as-good low-end but you get healthy power almost all the way to redline). My friend's GTI Eurodyne tune also addressed the same issue - the car felt more lively at higher RPM than before.

P.S.: I also just realized that everyone including me up to this point of the thread has a different engine for their 6th Gen Camaro. What a coincidence.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)

Last edited by UnknownJinX; 03-18-2021 at 06:21 PM.
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 10:44 AM   #5
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
The cpu will not allow any gains unless you unlock and tune it. More importantly, the stock air box is perfect. All you need to do is replace the intake tube from the air box to the turbo. Also, the Volossatech ram air is a nice piece to add as well.
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 11:26 AM   #6
adman98

Drives: 2021 Camaro 1SS M6
Start--Which Volossatech ram air part would you recommend? I agree about the airbox. I do have the CAI from ZZP, but I'm thinking of putting the stock box back on. I'm getting a lot of dust and road debris in the engine bay with the open area. But def am keeping the intake tube.

I agree with everyone about the inflated hp for mishimoto, however, mishimoto does a great job on R&D. You all should check out their 3 part series on their intercooler. I for one was convinced by what they did and will be going with their IC rather then the front mount. But that's just my 2 cents.
Old 03-19-2021, 12:25 PM   #7
buckwam

Drives: 2021 camaro 1ls
Thanks for the feedback. Does adding the mishimoto intake tube make a noticeable difference in performance or only a sound improvement.

Last edited by buckwam; 03-19-2021 at 05:24 PM.
buckwam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 03:10 PM   #8
adman98

It should give a performance improvement as the air will be streamlined to the turbo. When you take the stock tube off, you'll see what I mean. They made it to silence the turbo. I guess it's a nice design for the non racer/performance driver, but not for me.
Old 03-19-2021, 04:35 PM   #9
Start The Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by adman98 View Post
Start--Which Volossatech ram air part would you recommend? I agree about the airbox. I do have the CAI from ZZP, but I'm thinking of putting the stock box back on. I'm getting a lot of dust and road debris in the engine bay with the open area. But def am keeping the intake tube.

I agree with everyone about the inflated hp for mishimoto, however, mishimoto does a great job on R&D. You all should check out their 3 part series on their intercooler. I for one was convinced by what they did and will be going with their IC rather then the front mount. But that's just my 2 cents.
It fits all 6th gen upper grills including 2.0T

https://www.velossatechdesign.com/pr...intake-snorkel
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Old 03-20-2021, 08:02 PM   #10
adman98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start The Machine View Post
It fits all 6th gen upper grills including 2.0T

https://www.velossatechdesign.com/pr...intake-snorkel

I'm buying it... Thank you sir.
Old 03-20-2021, 08:21 PM   #11
i4heavychevy

Drives: 2019 2.0 camaro
Question about the snorkel. I checked out the page and saw one for the zL1 and one for the Ss which one fits the 2.0 best?
K&N Intake, mishimoto intercooler, mishimoto charge pipes, GFB Diverter valve, zzp catted downpipe, Rev9 quad tip muffler delete, twister muffler midpipe, mishimoto oil catch can, MSD coilpacks, Zzp tune, BMR front rear chassis brace, BMR rear-Rear chassis brace, zzp front tower strut brace, zzp larger throttle body. .
i4heavychevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 04:36 PM   #12
Start The Machine

It's a universal fit for all 6th gen upper grills. I didn't notice an option for SS or ZL1. If there is, get the SS one I guess..
Old 03-29-2021, 02:22 PM   #13
StPeteHyper2.0

Drives: '16 Hyper Blue 2.0
Velossa was only tested on v8s. It doesn't list the 2.0 or v6 but it does fit universal. I've had it on for about a year with no negative effects. I don't have any data log testing but it does seem to help keep the turbo cooler and cools down quickly after pulls. It won't really effect cold side IATs at all but seems to help on the hot side. You may see more benefits in colder climates. Im in FL and so is Velossa.
StPeteHyper2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 10:24 AM   #14
StPeteHyper2.0

Drives: '16 Hyper Blue 2.0
For reference.. this is what my IATs look like after 10 minutes of easy cruising. Ambient temps were around 80ish and muggy due to rain in the area. Velossa seems to cool down the hot side easily. Give a light pull and the temps switch places then return after a few miles. Also my hot side temp is closer to the intercooler and the cold side is closer to the engine bay. So cold side tends to pick up some engine bay temps a bit more so this can be slightly skewed for reference.
Attached Images

StPeteHyper2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote