Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 10-18-2016, 10:43 AM   #57
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc54 View Post
Has anybody tried the Green filter? They are supposed to flow even more than the K&N.
Who makes that, AFE?
Old 10-18-2016, 11:24 AM   #58
thundercrakcer

Drives: Summit White 2SS, M6
I think this might be it?

http://www.rdpstore.com/p-7744-2016-...r-filters.aspx
Old 10-18-2016, 01:47 PM   #59
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
So this is embarrassing....I went to drop the K&N in yesterday. I noticed I'd need a Philips head driver to take the screws out, which I have never ever seen on an intake box before. Most of my experience has been with boxes that you open up using these tabs.

So I took out all the screws, or I thought I did. I went to left the lid up and I heard a snap. Damn it......looked closer and I missed the very last screw under the tube that connects the air box to the throttle body. Well I still dropped the filter in there and refastened the remaining screws. The box essentially broke off around where the last screw is, so now there is an artificially created tab by your's truly.

I have examined the entire box now repeatedly, and haven't noticed any leaks or sucking sounds, that I'd expect if air was going in, through that crack. I settled the box lid, so the crack would match up.

My question is should I add some sort of sealant in that area?

This might be my biggest wrenching goof since I snapped one of the throttle body screws on the 2010 V6 way back in the day.

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:54 PM   #60
TSloper

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
So this is embarrassing....I went to drop the K&N in yesterday. I noticed I'd need a Philips head driver to take the screws out, which I have never ever seen on an intake box before. Most of my experience has been with boxes that you open up using these tabs.

So I took out all the screws, or I thought I did. I went to left the lid up and I heard a snap. Damn it......looked closer and I missed the very last screw under the tube that connects the air box to the throttle body. Well I still dropped the filter in there and refastened the remaining screws. The box essentially broke off around where the last screw is, so now there is an artificially created tab by your's truly.

I have examined the entire box now repeatedly, and haven't noticed any leaks or sucking sounds, that I'd expect if air was going in, through that crack. I settled the box lid, so the crack would match up.

My question is should I add some sort of sealant in that area?

This might be my biggest wrenching goof since I snapped one of the throttle body screws on the 2010 V6 way back in the day.
Plastic epoxy if you think it is repairable.
TSloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 02:35 PM   #61
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSloper View Post
Plastic epoxy if you think it is repairable.
Definitely repairable and a good suggestion as well.

I just feel like an idiot.

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 02:36 PM   #62
BlackbeastSS2

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE Shock Candy
Read the post and agree with a lot of comments regarding the drop in filter. Why spend 450 bucks when you can drop in a filter 40 - 50 bucks.

I noticed on here the other companies have certain people on here to dispute any claims who's product is better or if you make a suggestion of a set up and its not theirs they attack you right away.

Notice I did not add any names, but you guys know who you are.
Diamond Piston & Manley Rods, Roto Fab Big Gulp
BTR Push Rods,LS7 Lifters, ARP, FI Chiller, Kirkey Seats
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 101 octane.
2014 Mini Cooper countryman S All4 M6 daily driver
BlackbeastSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 02:44 PM   #63
TSloper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackbeastSS2 View Post
Read the post and agree with a lot of comments regarding the drop in filter. Why spend 450 bucks when you can drop in a filter 40 - 50 bucks.

I noticed on here the other companies have certain people on here to dispute any claims who's product is better or if you make a suggestion of a set up and its not theirs they attack you right away.

Notice I did not add any names, but you guys know who you are.
Be a big boy any call out the names if you are going to make a statement like that. You won't hurt anyone's feelings. Some people/companies on this board are simply more knowledgable and detail oriented than others and there is nothing wrong in saying that. If I didn't question a claim about Flex Fuel made by a sponsor we'd still not have a Flex Fuel solution.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:54 PM   #64
mrc54

Drives: SS1 convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooden View Post
Who makes the green filter? Can you post up a link?
http://www.greenfilterusa.com/
mrc54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:14 PM   #65
M12LRV

Drives: .
Hennessey's 6th gens use the stock box with a drop in filter all the way up to the HPE 650 NA and HPE 750 supercharged. After that they use a procharger which isn't compatible with the stock box. Their 5th gen packages all replaced the stock box. They probably found through their testing the stock box with drop in flows the best in the 6th gen.

HPE 650
http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/...pe650-upgrade/

HPE 750
http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/...arged-upgrade/

5th Gen HPE 550
http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/...pe550-upgrade/
M12LRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:09 AM   #66
cooden

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS & '15 Durango R/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc54 View Post
Thanks! I just bought one. I was going to buy the K&N but after reading a lot of online reviews, I decided to try the green filter. I tried to order from the RDP store, but the website kept giving me errors at checkout.
cooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:55 AM   #67
BlackbeastSS2

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE Shock Candy
Guess I have to repost with the rules in mind of the forum. But I have noticed certain people are promoting their own brands, friends brands, or maybe just another account to say negative claims or to push people to certain products. I made a comment about TSloper with a negative word that was outside the forum rules. My post was taken down, but TSloper remains calling me to be a big boy. So I named him as one of this people that pop off at people if they have their own ideas or say something about a different product capability. My opinion, but this site is geared of course to paying companies to promote their product. But having people to attack people's opinions is not fair, and then to have the websites administration to take a post off when in fact the person says go ahead and name him. Defending paying sponsors when in fact they need the general forum members to actually do business here. Now, I see nothing wrong with my post here, just my opinion and we all may agree to disagree as the the forum rules point out. I have been warned, and may be kicked off the site. If I am I will just rejoin.
Free Speech, vendors need to know how to reply without pissing people off then hide behind Admin.
Diamond Piston & Manley Rods, Roto Fab Big Gulp
BTR Push Rods,LS7 Lifters, ARP, FI Chiller, Kirkey Seats
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 101 octane.
2014 Mini Cooper countryman S All4 M6 daily driver
BlackbeastSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:40 AM   #68
BowtieRocket

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS- M6
Planning to drop in a K&N since i already have their cleaner and oil. I run K&Ns on my Harleys with good success.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:06 AM   #69
TSloper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackbeastSS2 View Post
Guess I have to repost with the rules in mind of the forum. But I have noticed certain people are promoting their own brands, friends brands, or maybe just another account to say negative claims or to push people to certain products. I made a comment about TSloper with a negative word that was outside the forum rules. My post was taken down, but TSloper remains calling me to be a big boy. So I named him as one of this people that pop off at people if they have their own ideas or say something about a different product capability. My opinion, but this site is geared of course to paying companies to promote their product. But having people to attack people's opinions is not fair, and then to have the websites administration to take a post off when in fact the person says go ahead and name him. Defending paying sponsors when in fact they need the general forum members to actually do business here. Now, I see nothing wrong with my post here, just my opinion and we all may agree to disagree as the the forum rules point out. I have been warned, and may be kicked off the site. If I am I will just rejoin.
Free Speech, vendors need to know how to reply without pissing people off then hide behind Admin.
Life lesson #1 for the day... People can't control how YOU react. If you get pissed off because you don't like someone's reply or feedback then that is entirely on YOU. Name calling is entirely on YOU. An admin reprimanding you for that is entirely on YOU. I had nothing to do with any admin slapping you on the hand.

As for opinions... there is a lot of great information on this site and there is also a lot of ill thought out ideas and ignorance. There is also a lot of BS when it comes to claims. If you are going to put a product or idea out publicly you better be prepared to deal with criticism. If a sponsor can't handle that they don't deserve a dime from anyone.

Your last post mentioned "attack" and "not fair"... boo hoo. That mentality is part of the problem with our society these days. Everyone wants it both ways. Free speech but only if it doesn't hurt my poor little feelings. Weak.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:53 AM   #70
mulletman

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Life lesson #2 for the day......Follow the money.
mulletman is offline   Reply With Quote