Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 10-14-2023, 11:25 AM   #1
Blackmonba6Gen
BLUPRINT_1LE

Drives: 2022 Rapid Blue SS 1LE
Rear Drag Pack Suggestions

Camaro6Fam,

So I did alot of reading on here about drag packs but I seem to come up with more question than answers. Which tire should fit best for my 17x10 setup. 26" or 28"? I asked because I feel like I am in a unique situation because I am not a hardcore drag racer but I enjoy doing street car takeovers events where I compete in roll racing event at the drag strip and to have a decent amount of grip on the road coming to and from the event.

I have 3 sets of tires of each occasion since my car is an all purpose car. The Stock 20" 1LE Wheels for daily cruising, 19" Apex Arc 8 for road course and my VMS 17x10 wheels for the rear drag pack.

I've read on here that I need to be approx ~1" between the rear and front but based on my tire setup, I cant get a full 26" on all four corners of the car unless I add my 19s up front but that's my road course set or 28" that I reading based on what others are running. What do you guys suggest? Is the stock wheels my only option with 28" wheel my only option? my apologies in advance if you'll feel this a redundant thread but first time adding a rear drag pack

My 1LE is a manual and it makes 500+ rwhp

To make it easier I posted all the dimensions I was playing with.

Stock 1LE wheels:
285/30/20
305/30/20

285/30/19 (Front Apex Arc 8 Dimension)
Attached Images

IG: BLUPRINT_1LE
YT: BLUPRINT_1LE

----------------------------------------------------------------
Blackmonba6Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 12:24 PM   #2
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
If you want to drive the car on the street, that is, with traction control and stability control on, the one thing to make sure is that the aggregate difference between front and rear is less than ~3%. This is of course not scientific (because GM won't ever officially release actual information on how the system works), but it's based on my own various tire sizes and others' experiences over the years.

As an example, if you increase front height (diameter) by 1.4% but reduce the rear height by 1.7% compared to stock, you have created an aggregate front:rear delta of 3.1%, which is right on the edge. If, however, you increase the front by, say, 4.5% and also increase the rear by 2.2%, the aggregate delta is only 2.3% and you'll be all right. Well okay, you did mess up your rake, but that's a whole another discussion, this was just a calculation example anyway.

Then again, if you turn off all the nannies all the time and don't care if ABS may be somewhat erratic (drag strip, yay), you can do whatever you want as long as it fits in the wheel well and doesn't rub left and right. Driving such an "exotic" setup on the street is ill-advised, though.

All of the above assumes, of course, that you don't want to change the tune by adjusting tire parameters (someone should confirm that that actually does resolve TC/ST/ABS issues, though, because HP Tuners doesn't have access to every table and function in the tune).

I don't think the ECM uses absolute diameters for its traction/stability/ABS calculations, because then there wouldn't be so many people using nonstandard setups with zero issues, so the typical "keep front vs rear difference under 1" of height" doesn't really make sense to me.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18

Last edited by arpad_m; 10-14-2023 at 12:53 PM.
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 12:54 PM   #3
Dynamical

Drives: 2022 Camaro LT1 A10
Hey bro, I love your channel

Are you against topping off that VMS 17x10 drag pack with the 18x5 fronts they offer? I run 28" tires just for the drag strip
Attached Images

2022 Camaro LT1 A10 - Drag Pack/AxleBack -11.849@118.67MPH/1.798 60'
2001 Camaro SS A4 - HCI/Stall/Bolt-on/Gear/Tune/DR/Diet - 429HP/392TQ - 10.99@123.58MPH/1.584 60'
1998 Camaro Z28 A4 - Bolt-on
1999 Camaro Z28 A4 - Stock

FJB
Dynamical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 01:27 PM   #4
Blackmonba6Gen
BLUPRINT_1LE

Drives: 2022 Rapid Blue SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
If you want to drive the car on the street, that is, with traction control and stability control on, the one thing to make sure is that the aggregate difference between front and rear is less than ~3%. This is of course not scientific (because GM won't ever officially release actual information on how the system works), but it's based on my own various tire sizes and others' experiences over the years.

As an example, if you increase front height (diameter) by 1.4% but reduce the rear height by 1.7% compared to stock, you have created an aggregate front:rear delta of 3.1%, which is right on the edge. If, however, you increase the front by, say, 4.5% and also increase the rear by 2.2%, the aggregate delta is only 2.3% and you'll be all right. Well okay, you did mess up your rake, but that's a whole another discussion, this was just a calculation example anyway.

Then again, if you turn off all the nannies all the time and don't care if ABS may be somewhat erratic (drag strip, yay), you can do whatever you want as long as it fits in the wheel well and doesn't rub left and right. Driving such an "exotic" setup on the street is ill-advised, though.

All of the above assumes, of course, that you don't want to change the tune by adjusting tire parameters (someone should confirm that that actually does resolve TC/ST/ABS issues, though, because HP Tuners doesn't have access to every table and function in the tune).

I don't think the ECM uses absolute diameters for its traction/stability/ABS calculations, because then there wouldn't be so many people using nonstandard setups with zero issues, so the typical "keep front vs rear difference under 1" of height" doesn't really make sense to me.
I agree and that's what's confusing me too with this typical "keep front vs rear difference under 1" of height" concept. What you are saying does make sense. I hope there isnt any changes that need to be done by HP Tuners but you never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamical View Post
Hey bro, I love your channel

Are you against topping off that VMS 17x10 drag pack with the 18x5 fronts they offer? I run 28" tires just for the drag strip
Ayyee whats up bro! Thanks for watching my channel I really appreciate it!

Unfortunately, I dont want to add the 18x5 because I want to utilize some of the wheels/tires I have. I want to limit my cost and leave my road course wheels for road course and my 1LE wheels to add the drag pack too BUT if i want to continue to keep rotational mass low, i dont mind using the 19's, it just I will have to monitor my front tires most likely or replace them since the front will be dual purpose. The good thing about 19's it seems to even out based on the tire size calculator with 26's all around but i'm not sure if gearing change is needed in HPtuners or not. 28" seems to work on most cars I been reading but not sure though but its .7" over stock setup. Maybe I am overthinking it. Your setup does look good though

IG: BLUPRINT_1LE
YT: BLUPRINT_1LE

----------------------------------------------------------------
Blackmonba6Gen is offline   Reply With Quote