Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 08-08-2018, 07:04 PM   #15
Ebbsnflows

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1-1LE
When I was younger, in the military (i.e. "poor"), and couldn't afford 2 nice cars - I typically would have 1 nice car and 1 beater-car. The beaters were usually front-wheel drive Honda's (Civics/Accords) that I'd pick up for $1500-2000. In my mind they were literally disposable. I'd drive them until they broke/needed an expensive part, then sell them for $500 to a junk-yard and buy another. Other than critical fluids
(oil/coolant/brake/tranny fluid) I spent no money on them. If they were dinged in the parking lot or even rear-ended in traffic (which was inevitable in DC traffic), I didn't give damn. Their singular purpose was "preservation" of my "nice" car. They served as:
- Commuter car (for my 60 mile daily commute from MD into DC and back)
- Snow-mobile
- Rain mobile

So I ask, those of you that live in the frozen tundra of the North. Rather than spending so much money on winter Tires/wheels for your Camaro - then exposing it to salt damage, plus putting it at risk of sliding into a ditch or being hit by another car - wouldn't it be worth it to spend an extra $500-800 on a shit-box beater car, just for winter? For me, the peace-of-mind alone (knowing my baby was safe at home in the garage) would be worth the extra cash spent on a beater. I'm not trying to be a smart-ass or troll. I'm genuinely curious if this option is a consideration for any of you?
Old 08-09-2018, 07:57 AM   #16
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
When I considered a beater car you can;t tunnel vision the expense only the cost of the car. Insurance. Property tax. License/Registration. Maintenance (even basic).

~2K for tires and/or wheels beats the math even in the short term.

Plus I'm not having my 685/mth car parked in the garage sitting there being pretty when the reality in my area is a few days of shit snow a year. And the roads are clear late in the day any way
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:38 AM   #17
FlashBang23

Drives: 2017 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbsnflows View Post

So I ask, those of you that live in the frozen tundra of the North. Rather than spending so much money on winter Tires/wheels for your Camaro - then exposing it to salt damage, plus putting it at risk of sliding into a ditch or being hit by another car - wouldn't it be worth it to spend an extra $500-800 on a shit-box beater car, just for winter? For me, the peace-of-mind alone (knowing my baby was safe at home in the garage) would be worth the extra cash spent on a beater. I'm not trying to be a smart-ass or troll. I'm genuinely curious if this option is a consideration for any of you?
That option literally isn't even on my radar. I definitely could afford a beater or a few hundred a month for a leased vehicle but I just enjoy the Camaro WAY too much and believe cars are meant to be driven/enjoyed and not put in a display case. After a rough 11 or 12 hour day in the office nothing is better than firing that LT1 to life in the parking structure and roaring all the way home. In regards to salt damage, I believe it's extremely manageable and almost irrelevant if handled properly - I spray off the undercarriage and do a hand wash at least once a week. I've done this on my previous cars as well - 08 G8 GT, 14 5.0, and 15 5.0. Another factor for me is I actually think the car is a blast to drive in the snow. In the winter I will actually let a few inches fall at night and go to the gym at 10 or 11:00 at night just so I can go out on the fresh powder. All that being said the wife may be buying a new car before her Charger RT lease is up and I will inherit that for my "daily". For the first time like you I will "know my baby is tucked away safe in the garage"......maybe it will change my mind, who knows lol. I 100% get where you're coming from - the OCD part of me wants the car to stay clean and tucked away, but the emotional "i love my loud RWD manual V8" side always seems to win out.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:15 AM   #18
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
...So I ask, those of you that live in the frozen tundra of the North. Rather than spending so much money on winter Tires/wheels for your Camaro - then exposing it to salt damage, plus putting it at risk of sliding into a ditch or being hit by another car - wouldn't it be worth it to spend an extra $500-800 on a shit-box beater car, just for winter? For me, the peace-of-mind alone (knowing my baby was safe at home in the garage) would be worth the extra cash spent on a beater. I'm not trying to be a smart-ass or troll. I'm genuinely curious if this option is a consideration for any of you?
The 1LE is my winter, rain, and track car. Otherwise, I'm riding one of my motorcycles. Basically, it is my beater car, though I'm not going out and intentionally trashing it. The days of me pretending a normal production car is some kind of show car are behind me. Yes, I wash and wax the car regularly to keep it clean, but I can't stress about a stone chip or two anymore. I just budget for a partial re-spray every few years.

Also, while I do understand that people want to keep their nice things nice, saving a car in showroom condition for the next guy after you're dead seems like a complete waste of your money and time. Enjoy it while you're alive and well.

Speaking of enjoying it, driving the 1LE on winter tires is infinitely more enjoyable than a thousand dollar crap-can with the 1LE rotting away in the garage.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:42 PM   #19
Turbo_J89

Drives: 2015 BVM Camaro 1LE (2SS/RS)
People seem to have very extreme opinions about not driving their 455hp rwd car 3 months of the year. I'm also a fan of having the extra beater car around. I insured my "Beater" with full coverage for $50/mo, only did fluid changes, and ate minimal depreciation when i sold it. The gas mileage alone of my beater offset the other costs for the most part. Shopping for a new beater now. No way do I personally consider it worth it to drive the 1LE in sludge and snow.
Turbo_J89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:14 PM   #20
jreagle56

Drives: 2022 2SS A10 NPP MRC Red Hot
Cool discussion so far.......
never understood having a seperate car for a couple of months winter driving while i own a nice newer car that i am paying monthly for. Does that beater car sit around for 9 or 10 months then? When winter rolls around again, what is needed to get the beater up to dependably running again. Breaking down in the winter sucks. Aren't there mouse nests in the engine bay and heat ducts, leaking fluids, etc after the car sits for so long? I owned 2 cars for a long time driving each 3 or 4 days a week to keep them running and to keep the critters from building a home in what might otherwise be an abandoned car if it wasn't driven. The additional costs keeping both running, legal and road worthy are just a pain for 2 cars. I guess for me, i own a nice car and i like to drive it, cant see leaving it at home and driving a carppy car in bad weather or anytime; equip the new car with the proper tires for the season and have fun enjoying the drive, ride and lux. How long am i really going to keep the nice car anyway... until something nicer, prettier and younger catches my eye? 3 years, 5 years, 10 years? i think my Camaro will last that long driving it all year around. Thats my 2 cents anyway FWIW.....

Last edited by jreagle56; 08-09-2018 at 04:15 PM. Reason: typoi
jreagle56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:10 PM   #21
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
I will keep mine in the garage and take it occasionally around the block to the supermarket or to work on drier days to keep the fluids moving and battery charged. As a RWD car, it sucks in the snow, no matter what. Snow tires and studs help a bit, but a lighter vehicle without a lot of weight on the axle is still pretty crappy. That said, we have long periods of dry sometimes in winter or new snow that is better to drive on than ice, so I do have some ability to drive it in the winter, but I got to watch it. I'm also trying to limit the exposure to rocks and salt, as many many businesses use salt in the parking lot, even if the city doesn't. I have a Honda Pilot for winter and hauling stuff. About November or so, I have to stop using the Camaro as a daily.

Sometimes weird stuff happens though, when I took delivery was right after New Years. It was 40+ degrees and raining. That is happening more and more up North here.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:31 PM   #22
SpazmXylam
Because Racecar!

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Quote:

Yup. In the frozen shithole of Hoth, having a "winter beater" is a common practice among those that have "fun" cars. For me living in these parts where salt is used extensively the fear of crashing is less stressful than the fear of rusting. Besides, theory is insurance should cover a crash but wont cover the slow agonizing death of salt. Also sometimes the snow is just plain too deep for a lower slung hot rod to make it through.

Back on task, I have mentioned in a few threads now my solution to "cold weather" tires since the 1LE rubber isn't a fan of just being cold. I decided to look into OE wheels with the same bolt pattern (5x120) as the Camaro. BMW for sure and Mercedes I think though not limited to just those. Look into base ATS wheels? Simply checked CL for a set of takeoffs. Scored a set of BMW 5 Series (fits 245/45R18 tires. Cheap and plentiful choices.) wheels for next to nothing ($300) with winter rubber already applied. Takes some patience but more financially pleasing. Also, an OE wheel should be of better quality than the budget aftermarket choices.
Attached Images

SpazmXylam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:10 AM   #23
artey34

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE - Hyper Blue
Ok I think I am reading the sheets right and these will fit. They are 19x9.5 with 30mm offset. I can then fit 275/35R19 on them I believe. Does this sound right? I think the 275 will fit the balance between dry traction and snow traction quite well.

I used this calculator for the offsets: https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/

Thoughts?
Attached Images

artey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:55 AM   #24
FlashBang23

Drives: 2017 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by artey34 View Post
Ok I think I am reading the sheets right and these will fit. They are 19x9.5 with 30mm offset. I can then fit 275/35R19 on them I believe. Does this sound right? I think the 275 will fit the balance between dry traction and snow traction quite well.

I used this calculator for the offsets: https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/

Thoughts?
I think you'll be good, double checked all the calcs between sizes. I had to go with less offset on the front when I did my setup because I went 285s. You aren't increasing tire height and are only .2" closer to the suspension so I don't see why they wouldn't fit. Rear fit should be good as well, looks like that will fit nice and flush with the fenders. I also think you'll like having the extra meat on the 275s. On 245s the car wasn't "fun" to drive on those 35 degree dry winter days. The 285s definitely changed that lol.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:00 AM   #25
artey34

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE - Hyper Blue
Yah now I have a month to debate the 255s vs 275s. Hmmmmm
artey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:53 PM   #26
samr350

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Which wheels are these exactly, I've just spent a bit of time looking for them and can't seem to find any. Do you have either the name of the wheel or the specs for it? As in offset. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpazmXylam View Post
Yup. In the frozen shithole of Hoth, having a "winter beater" is a common practice among those that have "fun" cars. For me living in these parts where salt is used extensively the fear of crashing is less stressful than the fear of rusting. Besides, theory is insurance should cover a crash but wont cover the slow agonizing death of salt. Also sometimes the snow is just plain too deep for a lower slung hot rod to make it through.

Back on task, I have mentioned in a few threads now my solution to "cold weather" tires since the 1LE rubber isn't a fan of just being cold. I decided to look into OE wheels with the same bolt pattern (5x120) as the Camaro. BMW for sure and Mercedes I think though not limited to just those. Look into base ATS wheels? Simply checked CL for a set of takeoffs. Scored a set of BMW 5 Series (fits 245/45R18 tires. Cheap and plentiful choices.) wheels for next to nothing ($300) with winter rubber already applied. Takes some patience but more financially pleasing. Also, an OE wheel should be of better quality than the budget aftermarket choices.
samr350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:39 AM   #27
MJP

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LE Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
The whole winter tire thing should be a sticky with all these threads merged.

Here's my winter setup: Verde from Tire Rack, 19x8.5 et15 front and rear with Pirelli Sottozero 3's in 245/45-19. Nice and narrow for cutting through the snow, but definitely missing a bunch of dry grip.

Weekend by Ryephile, on Flickr

You've actually driven her out in the Snow and on Salty Roads? How about the quarter panels in front of the rear wheels and behind the front wheels? Have you sustained any damage from sand\salt and what have you in these two areas?
MJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:18 AM   #28
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJP View Post
You've actually driven her out in the Snow and on Salty Roads? How about the quarter panels in front of the rear wheels and behind the front wheels? Have you sustained any damage from sand\salt and what have you in these two areas?
Yes I "actually" drive it. No damage unless you count some paint chips that are from track days and our crumbling infrastructure.

Untitled by Ryephile, on Flickr

Last edited by Ryephile; 08-16-2018 at 08:52 AM.
Ryephile is offline   Reply With Quote